Author Topic: Rapid Burnout, Dissatisfaction of U.S. Doctors Threatens Public Health Crisis  (Read 1152 times)

rangerrebew

Rapid Burnout, Dissatisfaction of U.S. Doctors Threatens Public Health Crisis
Posted on Sep 29, 2016

Tim Waclawski / (CC BY-ND 2.0)

Half of U.S. physicians are “disengaged, burned out, and demoralized and plan to either retire, cut back on work hours, or seek non-clinical roles,” reports MedPage Today, citing a new nationwide survey commissioned by The Physicians Foundation.

“Many physicians are dissatisfied with the current state of the medical practice environment and they are opting out of traditional patient care roles,” said Walker Ray, MD, president of The Physicians Foundation, in remarks that appeared with the survey.

“The implications of evolving physician practice patterns for both patient access and the implementation of healthcare reform are profound.”

MedPage Today reports:

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/rapid_burnout_of_us_doctors_threatens_public_health_crisis_20160929
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:41:31 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline skeeter

Rapid Burnout, Dissatisfaction of U.S. Doctors Threatens Public Health Crisis
Posted on Sep 29, 2016

Tim Waclawski / (CC BY-ND 2.0)

Half of U.S. physicians are “disengaged, burned out, and demoralized and plan to either retire, cut back on work hours, or seek non-clinical roles,” reports MedPage Today, citing a new nationwide survey commissioned by The Physicians Foundation.

“Many physicians are dissatisfied with the current state of the medical practice environment and they are opting out of traditional patient care roles,” said Walker Ray, MD, president of The Physicians Foundation, in remarks that appeared with the survey.

“The implications of evolving physician practice patterns for both patient access and the implementation of healthcare reform are profound.”

MedPage Today reports:

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/rapid_burnout_of_us_doctors_threatens_public_health_crisis_20160929

I recently tried finding the doctor I had before Obamacare (on my own dime, of course, as I am not covered right now. Thats another story) for a checkup and found he had left his practice.

I tried to make an appointment with another doctor in the same medical complex whom I hadn't met, only to have him repeatedly cancel on me. I got suspicious and finally asked the receptionist how old he was - he was in his eighties and was in poor health. So I tried another doctor there - he also was very elderly and had Parkinsons.

There were lawn chairs in the waiting room.

The virtual collapse of the health care industry in this country, at least from my perspective, has been amazing. The thought of a smirking Nancy Pelosi holding that *^% hammer and Obama's smug lies enrage me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:51:27 pm by skeeter »

Online roamer_1

The virtual collapse of the health care industry in this country, at least from my perspective, has been amazing.

My brother is a chiropractor in the Nashville area. Eight years ago, he was on a trajectory to pay off his practice in 5 years... Now he is less than a quarter of where he projected to be and is looking for something else to do.

Offline skeeter

My brother is a chiropractor in the Nashville area. Eight years ago, he was on a trajectory to pay off his practice in 5 years... Now he is less than a quarter of where he projected to be and is looking for something else to do.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have a chiropractor-neighbor who was all high on Obamacare four years ago. I wonder how he feels about it now.

Online roamer_1

I'm sorry to hear that. I have a chiropractor-neighbor who was all high on Obamacare four years ago. I wonder how he feels about it now.

Probably not very good - my brother is pretty well locked out of insurance payments - or they are so ridiculously low as to be non-existent. Too bad too. He's a helluva doctor.

Offline mirraflake

The shrink in my office building said when received a check from the insurance company for $7.82 for one hour of consultation with a patient he decided to drop all insurance

He is having patients pay cash $65 per hour. Most had a $40-60 office copay anyway and a deductible so most are staying with him.

He also terminated his outside insurance billing service saving him money.

Many Chriopractor docs in my area are doing the same thing.

@roamer_1

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The shrink in my office building said when received a check from the insurance company for $7.82 for one hour of consultation with a patient he decided to drop all insurance

He is having patients pay cash $65 per hour. Most had a $40-60 office copay anyway and a deductible so most are staying with him.

He also terminated his outside insurance billing service saving him money.

Many Chriopractor docs in my area are doing the same thing.

@roamer_1
My wife is a medical biller and has mainly Psychologists as clients, the things I have learned is that many doctors are careless in selecting which insurance plans to be part of, many either pay a pittance or set many hurdles to navigate for payment. New requirements for electronic records which are just to damn expensive for a small one person practice and all the extra hours required for the record keeping are forcing some right out of practicing medicine. If a doctor doesn't meet the electronic records requirement they see a reduced remittance, and each year they are not in compliance their remittance is reduced by a higher percentage. You see many older doctors shuttering their practice because they are not computer literate enough to comply with the requirements, let alone have the time to battle all the hurdles that Medicare and the insurance companies use to delay actually paying for the service rendered and their practices are too small to afford the 7 to 10% a billing company charges.

All of this is of course part and parcel of the demonrats plan to force everyone into single payer crapcare.
:3: