Author Topic: Miracle Teenager Survives On His Own For Almost 6 Hours With No Wi-Fi  (Read 3403 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
IN what has been hailed as ‘a miracle’, one Waterford teenager has reportedly survived in his home with no connection to the internet for almost 6 whole hours.

Answering to the name ‘David Gowan’, the 16-year-old was found in a distressed state yesterday evening, walking through a Dungarvan neighbourhood holding his Samsung Galaxy above his head looking for a signal and muttering incoherently.....

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/09/23/miracle-teenager-survives-on-his-own-for-almost-6-hours-with-no-wi-fi/

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Miracle Teenager Survives On His Own For Almost 6 Hours With No Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:20:16 am »
Are charges being filed against these negligent parents?

geronl

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:32:14 am »
Yet another wild conspiracy theory on the internet!

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:37:05 am »
Affluenza.

:smokin:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:26 am »
Does anyone remember Hurricane Sandy?

I lost power for three days. No TV, no wifi, no Internet.

I was fine. I read during daylight ( I have a thing called books in my apt) and listened to the radio at night.

I wrote in my journal.

I noticed my neighbors that were say, about fortyish and older were fine. It was the teens and the twenty something's that were going crazy. No computers. Starbucks was flooded out. It's like they were on Gilligan's island with no technology.

They were really going through withdrawal akin to what you would see from alcoholics. It was the strangest thing.

After 3 days the wifi came back. I almost wish it never would again, it was nice to think of a time before wifi, I miss that.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 12:51:49 pm »
They were really going through withdrawal akin to what you would see from alcoholics. It was the strangest thing.
Internet/social media addiction is a real thing, apparently, just like alcoholism or drug addiction. It's pretty strange to watch a sporting event on TV and see half the people in the stands looking at the little electronic devices in their hands.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »
Internet/social media addiction is a real thing, apparently, just like alcoholism or drug addiction. It's pretty strange to watch a sporting event on TV and see half the people in the stands looking at the little electronic devices in their hands.

What I couldn't get over was last year my family took my mom out for dinner on Mother's Day, just like lots of families do. We took her to Ruth Chris, so the meal for the four of us was about $200.

There were several other families there, with smaller children or teenagers, and they all texted throughout the meal. The only time they stopped texting was to order food. I saw another couple, no children but she was very pregnant, dressed to the nines, and they were texting each other through out the meal.

No romance, no looking into each others eyes. Made me wonder how the baby was conceived, if you get my drift.

Gosh, I know if I had a date who took me there it would be very romantic. My phone would be in my purse and I wouldn't even think about using it unless there was an accident on the highway.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 01:19:32 pm »

Btw, Internet addiction is in the new DSM 5 as a mental disorder. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 01:30:44 pm »
That site is a hoot!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »
Internet/social media addiction is a real thing, apparently, just like alcoholism or drug addiction.

For me, it's an information addiction...the Internet is a tool to obtain it, and when it's cut off, I get very real withdrawal symptoms.  It's bad, and very real.

I've been using computers for more than 4 decades, though.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 08:10:17 pm »
Related story:

Brain-Dead Teen, Only Capable Of Rolling Eyes And Texting, To Be Euthanized

The parents of 13-year old Caitlin Teagart have decided to end her life, saying she can now do nothing but lay on the couch and whine about things being "gay."

http://www.theonion.com/video/brain-dead-teen-only-capable-of-rolling-eyes-and-t-27225
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:35 pm »
Related story:

Brain-Dead Teen, Only Capable Of Rolling Eyes And Texting, To Be Euthanized

The parents of 13-year old Caitlin Teagart have decided to end her life, saying she can now do nothing but lay on the couch and whine about things being "gay."

http://www.theonion.com/video/brain-dead-teen-only-capable-of-rolling-eyes-and-t-27225

That is so funny!

Offline rodamala

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 04:59:37 pm »
It's pretty strange to watch a sporting event on TV and see half the people in the stands looking at the little electronic devices in their hands.

10 years ago I attended a party at a friend's college friend's house in suburban Morristown, NJ.

They had a small fire ring set up out back just off the patio, and I sat there and looked around the fire and EVERY SINGLE PERSON was fiddling with their phones, sending texts to people that were not there.  There was next to zero human interaction on a face-to-face basis.  That was 10 years ago... can you imagine what it's like now?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 05:05:46 pm »
I call them electronic pacifiers...I've noticed more and more folks who just can't go more than 5 minutes without looking at one. 

The act of interacting or physically communicating with someone is becoming almost non-existent.  Many folks just don't know how to communicate unless it's through the pacifier.  Situational awareness is practically extinct.   :shrug:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 07:25:12 pm »
I can't photoshop worth crap. Just imagine zombies with faces replaced by cellphone screens.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »
The act of interacting or physically communicating with someone is becoming almost non-existent.  Many folks just don't know how to communicate unless it's through the pacifier.  Situational awareness is practically extinct.   :shrug:
One of the strangest and most pathetic sights I've seen lately was in a college student union where groups of kids were seated around tables - all looking at their phones. None of them actually is speaking to another. Of course, they might be texting the person two feet away.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 08:27:40 pm »