Author Topic: Debunking the Lesser-of-Two-Evils Voting Theory  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Debunking the Lesser-of-Two-Evils Voting Theory
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:04:34 am »
Debunking the Lesser-of-Two-Evils Voting Theory
By  Barry Donegan -  Feb 5, 2016

Voters who do not live in a swing state will not cause the election of their least favorite major-party candidate by voting for their favorite third-party candidate.

Anyone who has ever supported a third-party presidential candidate in an election has likely had to defend their decision from partisans who endorse the lesser-of-two-evils voter theory. By the logic offered by proponents of the theory, anyone who votes for an independent candidate is at best wasting their vote, and at worst handing the election over to their least-favorite major-party candidate.

With as many as four potential Supreme Court replacements looming during the next presidency, partisans will doubtlessly wield the argument with ferocious intensity during the run-up to the 2016 presidential general election.

However, for the vast majority of Americans in the overwhelming majority of states, this cannot possibly be the case. In presidential elections where Electoral College votes are allocated primarily in a winner-take-all fashion and in which there are very few competitive swing states, most Americans’ electoral votes in a particular election are already predetermined before anyone even heads to the polls.

Anecdotally-speaking, as a libertarian-leaning Tennessean who identifies as Republican, I knew going into the voting booth in 2012 that all of my Electoral College votes were going to go to Mitt Romney. However, I was warned in advance that if I pulled the lever for a third-party candidate, it would swing the election to Barack Obama. Republican activists scolded me that I would then be responsible for Obama’s radical Supreme Court nominees and all sorts of other fearful outcomes that I needed to vote for Romney to prevent.

Ultimately, Romney did not end up choosing positions that would earn my vote, and I was forced to pull the lever for a third-party candidate. All 11 of hard-red Tennessee’s winner-take-all Electoral College votes went predictably to Romney. Though Obama did end up winning the election, my vote did not in any way assist him in achieving that victory. All of my state’s votes went to Romney.

Did I waste my vote? I could have traveled all the way to the voting booth just to give Mitt Romney an even larger victory in Tennessee by a single vote that would have had no impact on his chances against Obama.

Voting third party on the other hand has some tangible effects. In some states, third parties gain legal status and ballot access when they obtain certain percentages in state-wide races such as presidential elections, thus expanding competition among political parties. Also, major party candidates tend to look at any unusually-high percentages earned by third-party candidates in elections as signals that it is time to take on some of the key issues that are gaining traction among independents in that party.

For partisans, voting third-party can push a favorite major party closer to that person’s views. Meanwhile, there is nothing stopping such a voter from continuing to support major-party candidates in state and local races down the ballot and continuing to support the party in general without being forced to vote for an unacceptable presidential candidate.

According to Politico, “In the current Electoral College battlefield, 40 of 50 states have voted for the same [party’s] candidate in all four elections since 2000. And, of the 10 exceptions, three [North Carolina, New Mexico, and Indiana] were fluky… That leaves just seven super-swingy states: Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia, all of which backed Bush and Obama twice each, and Iowa and New Hampshire, which have voted Democratic in three of the last four elections.”

For voters in those 7-10 states, a close race days out from the election might lend a bit of credence to the lesser-of-two-evils theory. Also, in Nebraska and Maine, the only two states that do not allocate Electoral College votes in a winner-take-all manner and instead do so proportionally, the argument gains a bit more traction. That said, Maine only has 4 electoral votes and while it is possible that two candidates might split electoral votes in those states, according to the Office of the Federal Register, “It has not actually happened.”

Partisans will point to obscure potentialities like a state radically politically shifting suddenly as a potential outcome justifying a lesser-of-two-evils vote, but the odds of that happening solely on the basis of a third-party candidate surging are slim at best in any particular instance. Besides, if that were going to happen, voters would be aware of media-reported evidence of the political shift prior to election day and could make adjustments accordingly if they so desired.

Too often it is said that a third-party candidate has spoiled an election when popular vote election returns appear to show that candidate getting a number of votes that, if given to a major party candidate, would have changed the outcome. This assumes wrongly that 100 percent of that candidate’s voters were available to the major party candidate in the first place. As it pertains to the U.S. presidential race, such an argument also oversimplifies the complexities of the Electoral College system.

Ultimately, the lesser-of-two-evils voter theory wrests on a backwards principle — that voters should vote against their least-favorite candidate rather than voting for their favorite candidate. It is not the voter’s job to win the election for a political party or candidate. Candidates and political parties must earn the support of voters by choosing positions that will convince them to travel to a polling location and pull the lever in the voting booth.

In July of 2015, the Truth in Media Project released a Consider This video highlighting the fact that independent voters now outnumber Republicans and Democrats. Watch it in the below-embedded video player.

http://truthinmedia.com/donegan-debunking-the-lesser-of-two-evils-voting-strategy/
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Suppressed

Re: Debunking the Lesser-of-Two-Evils Voting Theory
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:09:43 am »
Unfortunately,  this uses sound reasoning that will zoom a few thousand feet over the heads of some here.  They won't bother reading or digesting it, in fact.  It's sad.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Longmire

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:15:32 am »
Liberaltarian pablum.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:21:40 am »
Liberaltarian pablum.

As opposed to your Populist BS?

You need to read up on this guy since you're quoted as Learning from History.

Huey Long

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Long

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:46:46 am »
   As opposed to your Populist BS?

You need to read up on this guy since you're quoted as Learning from History.

Huey Long

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Long

Yup. Excellent comp.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:48:39 am »
Liberaltarian pablum.

Only to a liberal Party hack.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:05 am »
Unfortunately,  this uses sound reasoning that will zoom a few thousand feet over the heads of some here.  They won't bother reading or digesting it, in fact.  It's sad.
Happened already.  **nononono*

That didn't take long, either.

But it makes perfect sense to me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:10:05 am »

Good read, I too did not vote for Romney last cycle. It did not matter as every county in my State voted R. Same this year ... most likely. No matter how I vote.

I particularly like the point that it may "push" the major party most aligned with the third party voters on a issue which gains with them.

Now, if I was in a "swing  State"....'Ala Fl... I would have to think long and hard if such was worth electing ...say a Hillary, after 8 years of obama.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:16:33 am »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »
The article makes a valid point to the extent there are so many states that are not in play. But with respect to states that are in play, the article fails to recognize that both candidates and voters bear a responsibility:

"It is not the voter’s job to win the election for a political party or candidate. Candidates and political parties must earn the support of voters by choosing positions that will convince them to travel to a polling location and pull the lever in the voting booth.

This line suggests that voters bear no responsibility for the consequences of their actions in the voting booth.  It's all the candidate's responsibility to win their vote.  And sure, while the candidate is responsible on his/her end for the votes they receive, voters also are individually responsible for the consequences of their actions in the voting booth.

To quote a great conservative, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  The latter portion of the article suggests a different outlook -- that we don't bear any responsibility if we fail to oppose evil, because it's only the people who actively support evil who are at fault.

If someone does not see any real difference in terms of results between Hillary and Trump, I can completely understand not voting for either.  Because in that case, you can't prevent the "evil" not matter what.  What I do not understand is the morality of failing to oppose something you acknowledge as a greater evil.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:04:05 pm »

To quote a great conservative, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  The latter portion of the article suggests a different outlook -- that we don't bear any responsibility if we fail to oppose evil, because it's only the people who actively support evil who are at fault.

Evil will triumph because 'good men' in this country have limited themselves to thinking that voting for a lesser evil at the ballot box is the only method necessary.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:24:20 pm »
Evil will triumph because 'good men' in this country have limited themselves to thinking that voting for a lesser evil at the ballot box is the only method necessary.
Precisely. You can't stop evil by voting for it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis