Author Topic: Last Night, Donald Trump Showed Why He’s Dangerous  (Read 8902 times)

Offline sinkspur

Last Night, Donald Trump Showed Why He’s Dangerous
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:14:29 pm »
Last Night, Donald Trump Showed Why He’s Dangerous

by DAVID FRENCH   

September 27, 2016 2:39 PM

His insistence that NATO ‘could be obsolete’ is music to Putin’s ears.

Last night, it became crystal clear. The GOP nominated a dangerous, unfit man to be president of the United States. When it came to foreign affairs, where the president’s power is at its peak, Trump is showing himself to be ignorant, unprepared, and impulsive. Indeed, it’s hard to think of three worse qualities in a potential commander-in-chief.

In presidential elections, Americans understandably tend to focus on domestic policy. It has a more immediate effect on their lives, and the issues are far more familiar. Yet domestic policy is precisely the arena where the president faces his or her most profound limits. For all his undeniable expansion of presidential power, not even Barack Obama at his “pen and phone” worst has been able to implement vast segments of his domestic agenda. He’s ending two terms without cap and trade, without comprehensive immigration reform, and without new gun-control measures. His worst bureaucratic initiatives can be undone by any subsequent president.

But in foreign policy, the modern American president has become a virtual monarch. He or she can launch military actions without congressional approval (just ask Presidents Clinton and Obama), reach agreements with foreign nations, and establish or rescind diplomatic relations. The Constitution is supposed to check the power of the president to declare war or to enter treaties, but presidents have been shedding those restraints for generations. The president holds the power of war and peace in his or her hands, and the entire world — including our enemies — pays attention to the president’s every word and deed.

If you’re a geopolitical rival of the United States, Trump is a delight. He’s America’s leading Putin apologist, wasting several agonizing turns in the debate defending Russia from the charge of meddling in U.S. elections and bizarrely wondering if a “400-pound” man “sitting on their bed” hacked Democratic National Committee e-mails. He said he hasn’t “given lots of thought to NATO” and then went ahead and proved the truth of that statement by fundamentally misunderstanding the alliance. He treats it as a glorified protection racket whereby NATO countries allegedly pay us to defend Europe and they’re not paying what they owe. He even doubled down on his claim — an incredibly bizarre claim given Russia’s military resurgence — that NATO “could be obsolete.”

This is of course music to Vladimir Putin’s ears, but it’s deeply threatening to American national security. America isn’t in the NATO alliance out of altruism. Since the founding of this nation, each and every time there has been a general European conflict, America has been pulled into the fray. The Napoleonic wars were key in triggering the War of 1812, a stalemate of a conflict fought largely on American soil. The two world wars collectively cost more than half a million American lives, and our toll was light compared with that of our European allies. During the Cold War, NATO helped preserve the very existence of the free world, and now it is the primary check on Russian aggression. Obsolete? Hardly. It has saved countless American lives.

But Trump was hardly finished. Not content with defending Russia and trashing NATO, he went on a rant about Japan, South Korea, and, bizarrely, Saudi Arabia:

Nuclear is the single greatest threat. Just to go down the list, we defend Japan, we defend Germany, we defend South Korea, we defend Saudi Arabia, we defend countries. They do not pay us. But they should be paying us, because we are providing tremendous service and we’re losing a fortune. That’s why we’re losing — we’re losing — we lose on everything. I say, who makes these — we lose on everything.

Once again: We don’t enter into treaties merely out of the goodness of our hearts. We have established defense relationships with Germany, South Korea, Japan, and other nations (we don’t have a collective defense treaty with Saudi Arabia) in large part because American national security and the American way of life depend on global peace and security. In a connected world, we simply can’t retreat behind our borders and expect to remain safe or prosperous.

And while many of our allies can and should provide more resources for their own defense, they will always allocate a lower percentage of their gross domestic product for their militaries than the U.S. does, because they don’t have the same international reach. Given history, do we really want Japan and Germany to become global military superpowers? But that doesn’t mean our allies don’t have skin in the game. In the event of a second Korean conflict, the South Korean military would bear the brunt of the fighting — and take the vast majority of the allied casualties. Europeans make up the great majority of actual NATO boots on the ground in Europe, and our own deployment is a fraction of its former strength.

Treaties aren’t business deals, nor are they protection rackets. They have been the hallmark of bipartisan American foreign policy since 1945, because liberals and conservatives alike have understood the profound risks of true American disengagement. Even the Obama administration, for all its fecklessness, hasn’t raised the specter of American retreat to the same extent as Trump has.

Trump has been running for president for 15 months. Businessman or not, that’s more than enough time to understand our treaty obligations — including the reasons for the relationships that have helped keep America out of a catastrophic war. If Trump truly believed that “nuclear is the single greatest threat,” he’d be wary both of nuclear proliferation and of discarding key allies. Geopolitics, like nature, abhors a vacuum, and American retreat almost always triggers a rival’s advance.

A loud ignorant man is still ignorant. A blustering impulsive man is still impulsive. Last night an unprepared Trump proved that he’s not ready to be commander-in-chief. He’s most dangerous where he has the most power, and that should send a chill down every American spine.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440458/donald-trump-debate-foreign-policy-nato-allies-treaties-vladimir-putin?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=57eaf39d04d30108954670fe&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Last Night, Donald Trump Showed Why He’s Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:15:46 pm »
America cannot afford an ignorant, intellectually vapid president.   Trump has no intellectual curiosity. He doesn't even care that he doesn't know and he is not interested in learning.

He's a 70 year old child. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:29:33 pm »
Trump demonstrated last night that not only is he dangerous to free trade and our alliances,

.. he also admitted he is a criminal tax cheat while doing everything he could to talk about how great he was and promoting his businesses.

He is far more dangerous to our liberties and possibly our lives than Hillary is, to be certain.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:34:40 pm »
not even Barack Obama at his “pen and phone” worst has been able to implement vast segments of his domestic agenda. He’s ending two terms without cap and trade, without comprehensive immigration reform, and without new gun-control measures.

Off the topic, but ...

Does anyone think this would be the case if we had two houses of Congress in Democrat control?

Those who say the Republicans in Congress have "done nothing" are off their rockers.  Sure, there's no conservative supermajority, but it's also better than we'd have done with Dems in there.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:42:48 pm »
When Trump first started his run, I was amused by him.  At the time, I thought his candidacy was a vanity thing, that very soon he would get bored and drop out.  Well, Trump has stayed in and my amusement has been replaced with alarm.    Trump should not be allowed anywhere near the Oval Office.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:49:27 pm »
Off the topic, but ...

Does anyone think this would be the case if we had two houses of Congress in Democrat control?

Those who say the Republicans in Congress have "done nothing" are off their rockers.  Sure, there's no conservative supermajority, but it's also better than we'd have done with Dems in there.

Oh I'd say considering gay marriage is a thing, Planned Parenthood is fully funded, BLM is shutting down law enforcement, the GOP has given Obama every funding extravaganza hes asked for, multiple investigations go nowhere, IRS heads remain unimpeached, Illegals and so called refugees stream unchecked across the border, people are thrown out of the military over Trannies and heaven forbid, killing the enemy, men in the women's bathrooms by presidential decree and about a thousand other things...

...that Barry's foreign/domestic/immigration agenda is moving along spectacularly under the GOP's ongoing support. I would further say that anyone thinking the Dems could have accomplished more than the Republicans have on Barry' behalf has a tough job ahead showing it.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:53:24 pm »
He also admitted that he uses the bankruptcy laws to line his own pocketbook and cheat others.  That is not the intention of the law.  I think the bankruptcy laws should be changed in a way that does not allow someone like Donald Trump to become a billionaire at the expense of the little guys.

Yup...it's called character.  He sees no difference between "legal" and "ethical" or "moral".

Bankruptcy laws are meant to help someone get back onto feet and productive again.  He used it like a handout to enrich himself. 

We've all heard about people getting help when poor and then paying back when they strike it rich.  If Trump has so much money, he should pay back those people he ripped off, rather than brag about stealing from them.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:55:43 pm »
When Trump first started his run, I was amused by him.  At the time, I thought his candidacy was a vanity thing, that very soon he would get bored and drop out.  Well, Trump has stayed in and my amusement has been replaced with alarm.    Trump should not be allowed anywhere near the Oval Office.

My feelings exactly and more eloquent. Thank you  blij26
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:56:16 pm »

Is it?

I recall that Obama got more of his agenda and unConstitutional power grabs passed or ignored under a GOP controlled House and Senate than when Pelosi and Reid ran the show.

Not only the rubber stamping - but legitimizing the lawlessness itself with their kabuki theater surrenders and inaction.

What good is a guard dog when they invite the burglars in because they want to play or have a treat to share?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:01:02 am »
Is it?

I recall that Obama got more of his agenda and unConstitutional power grabs passed or ignored under a GOP controlled House and Senate than when Pelosi and Reid ran the show.

Not only the rubber stamping - but legitimizing the lawlessness itself with their kabuki theater surrenders and inaction.

What good is a guard dog when they invite the burglars in because they want to play or have a treat to share?

It's just another way of empowering/promoting the idea of 'elect the lesser evil no matter what". Same disaster dressed in a different skirt.

It got us to where we are today so lets keep doing it!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 12:09:02 am »
I just found it ironic that the man who sees not paying contractors as doing good business was on stage ranting about people not paying the US.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 12:11:36 am »
I just found it ironic that the man who sees not paying contractors as doing good business was on stage ranting about people not paying the US.

And that is why I've abandoned this presidential election to the whims of fate.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:20:52 am »
But in foreign policy, the modern American president has become a virtual monarch. He or she can launch military actions without congressional approval (just ask Presidents Clinton and Obama), reach agreements with foreign nations, and establish or rescind diplomatic relations. The Constitution is supposed to check the power of the president to declare war or to enter treaties, but presidents have been shedding those restraints for generations. The president holds the power of war and peace in his or her hands, and the entire world — including our enemies — pays attention to the president’s every word and deed.
According to the Constitution, Congress has the power to declare war. The era of strategic nuclear weapons led to Presidential power, simply because, given a half hour notice, most of Congress will be headed anywhere BUT Washington DC for a vote, and any response to a first strike will likely have to be in the air long before they could reach a quorum if they did.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 12:26:39 am »
Off the topic, but ...

I think you're confusing 'conservative' with GOP.  Currently, the GOP is NOT conservative but filled with members of the GOP who vote along with the liberals and let's not forget the terrible leadership under McConnell and Boehner.  I guess I'm one of the crazies who thinks that the GOP should have gotten their crap together, grown a conservative pair and stopped the liberal progressive movement!

Take a look back in time as well. For 40 years the DEMS held the House and for 26 of those years the DEMS held both houses!!

Under 'W's reign, his last 4 years the DEMS held both Houses and we can see what an impact that had on his administration. There was a definite difference in conservatism during his first four years in office and his last four years in office. 

As you are well aware, it's only been the last 2 years that we've held both Houses and we cannot afford to lose the Senate; especially if Hillary in control.

By ChrisnHouston - File:Control of the U.S. Senate.PNGFile:Control of the U.S. House of Representatives.PNG, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28885585
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 12:28:47 am »
I don't doubt he had ways of collecting his money, though. Maybe he can have some 'friends' quit picking up their garbage or something...then get them cited them for health code violations. Nice country you got there. It's be a real shame if sumpin' was to happen to it...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 12:57:01 am »
I think you're confusing 'conservative' with GOP.

Nope.

Currently, the GOP is NOT conservative but filled with members of the GOP who vote along with the liberals and let's not forget the terrible leadership under McConnell and Boehner.

That's part of my point.

We have an election or two, putting in a chunk of critters to represent conservatism, into a sea of well entrenched liberals who have been building power over decades, and we expect miracles..?  That's like a kid walking into a pet shop with his piggy bank and wanting a pony.  Ya gotta be patient, and build and consolidate power like the Left does.

Take a look back in time as well. For 40 years the DEMS held the House and for 26 of those years the DEMS held both houses!!

GOP did.  That doesn't mean they are all conservatives, as you point out.  Plus, it's not a supermajority.  Plus, we have an electorate that isn't aligned with conservatism to the extent that they wouldn't vote out some of the members next election. 
+++++++++

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 01:02:31 am »

GOP did.  That doesn't mean they are all conservatives, as you point out.  Plus, it's not a supermajority.  Plus, we have an electorate that isn't aligned with conservatism to the extent that they wouldn't vote out some of the members next election.
I recall it was like  :banging: trying to get other people here to vote out the Dems and vote Republicans into Congress, (currently, split in the Senate, GOP in the House) because their Democrats had seniority. It took a long time of "What good is seniority if they're using it against you?" before that fog lifted.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 01:06:29 am »
I recall it was like  :banging: trying to get other people here to vote out the Dems and vote Republicans into Congress, (currently, split in the Senate, GOP in the House) because their Democrats had seniority. It took a long time of "What good is seniority if they're using it against you?" before that fog lifted.

Yup.  One of the very few good arguments for the bad idea of term limits.  Currently, there's little incentive for turnover.
+++++++++

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 02:36:30 am »
Excellent point.

Here's something else.

The idea that China and other countries are "stealing" our jobs is central to his campaign. Another boogeyman that's not playing "fair". Yet, he then turns around and admits that he manufactures his product in China because there are too many regulations and taxes here, while threatening  to tax cheaper imported goods (which would raise prices to the consumer) in the name of defending those whose jobs were "stolen" by China et al, and whose prices would go up because of his tariffs.

THEN he talks about cutting taxes to the wealthy and brags about not paying taxes because he's smart.

This is what his supporters call "the everyman".

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Longmire

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 02:42:10 am »

Why is that Luis...you don't think the US does a good job protecting Japan, S. Korea, Europe, KSA, etc?

Or are you just a little miffed that this happened in your back yard?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 02:49:19 am »
Why is that Luis...you don't think the US does a good job protecting Japan, S. Korea, Europe, KSA, etc?

Or are you just a little miffed that this happened in your back yard?

My back yard?

As a typical Trump supporter, you can't respond to anything with any level of substance.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 02:53:17 am »

If Donald Trump refused to pay contractors for services provided, you can be sure the quality of work didn't meet Trump's standards.

Or, is that concept beyond your grasp, Luis, because your preconceived bias won't let you see another POV?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 02:54:48 am »
Plus, we have an electorate that isn't aligned with conservatism to the extent that they wouldn't vote out some of the members next election.

That is exactly why we don't have Cruz as our nominee ...
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 02:56:28 am »
If Donald Trump refused to pay contractors for services provided, you can be sure the quality of work didn't meet Trump's standards.

Or, is that concept beyond your grasp, Luis, because your preconceived bias won't let you see another POV?

Trump tonight:

Trump expanding his campaign pledge to EVERYTHING: "We have 41 days to make possible every dream you've ever dreamed."

Like Huey Long, this sumbitch believes government can solve every problem and fulfill every desire.

Very Soviet.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 02:56:38 am »
@Luis Gonzalez Was that your twin brother telling people that Trump was in for a rude surprise from...Romney voters in Florida?

Sure it was... :laugh: