Author Topic: The Moral Case For Breaking Your Word (Resurgent- Cleanup on Aisle 5)  (Read 1709 times)

Online corbe

By Steve Berman  |  September 26, 2016, 05:37pm  |  @stevengberman

Ted Cruz endorsed Donald Trump, after calling on Republicans to “vote your conscience” while Trump and his family looked on in Cleveland. Cruz gave two reasons: (1) “I promised to support the Republican nominee. And I intend to keep my word.” (2) “Hillary Clinton is wholly unacceptable.”

As Erick and others have noted, nothing has changed between mid-July and now. Trump is still Trump–a lying, amoral, sociopathic archetype. Clinton is still Clinton–wholly unacceptable, as Cruz wrote. Only Cruz’s mind has changed, and that can’t be attributed to any new facts emerging.

Cruz cited key policy differences between Trump and Clinton, as if Clinton’s policies need to be juxtaposed in this manner. Cruz wrote “If Clinton wins, we know — with 100% certainty — that she would deliver on her left-wing promises, with devastating results for our country.” But nowhere did Cruz write that Trump would deliver on any of his promises.

Based on Cruz’s prior comments, we know that he believed:
•Trump is a pathological liar;
•Trump is a narcissist;
•Trump is utterly amoral;
•Trump is a bully;
•Trump cynically exploits anger.

<...snipette....>

http://theresurgent.com/the-moral-case-for-breaking-your-word/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: The Moral Case For Breaking Your Word (Resurgent- Cleanup on Aisle 5)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:55:25 pm »
He was either given an offer he could not refuse….

.. or calculated the bandwagon decision in the hopes of forwarding his political career.

Either way - he lost my trust, and perhaps he truly was the slimy political opportunist others have said he was all along.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »
   Actually, @RAT Patrol,  Trumpsters will NEVER Acknowledge 'THAT' fact or that it was INDEED Trump who ran the dirty, Democrat 'like' Campaign.   

But everyone will tune in tonight like we all rubberneck on the highways at wrecks or go to his rally's. 

It's a SAD State for our Country to be in, though NOT unexpected.

Our culture has been invaded by Reality TV.

Frank Zappa ... I'm the Slime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sREpqDiUo
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:01:39 pm »
I can't stand to watch or hear either New York liberal.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »

Reince Priebus said today on Hannity for those GOP candidates who continue to withhold their endorsement of Donald Trump that there could be a political price to pay should they seek the presidency in 4 or 8 years...coming to the RNC for assistance in their campaigns.

After all, he continued, what should a party do if a candidate breaks the rules of the party by not honoring their pledge. There must be some consequence.

He also noted that North Carolina has a rule for its state primary that in order to be considered to be on the ballot a candidate MUST pledge to support the eventual nominee.

So it's not as cut and dried as people might think.

Seems to me Kasich is being a dick, and stupid one at that. The withholding of Kasich's pledge has virtually no impact on the nominee but it could impact Kasich's future.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:44 pm »
Trump had no intention of supporting the nominee if it wasn't himself. He said so, he pulled out of the oath on March 29.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:30 pm »
Whatever Ted Cruz's motives or valid reasons for endorsing Trump -- they will not affect my decision in November.  Cruz made his choice and come November, I'll make mine.  And that choice won't be either the human traffic cone or the hildebeast.   

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:36 pm »

.. or calculated the bandwagon decision in the hopes of forwarding his political career.

Either way - he lost my trust, and perhaps he truly was the slimy political opportunist others have said he was all along.

Yes, that exactly sums up how I feel about it. Right now, I'm doubting that I will vote for Ted Cruz for any office in the future, including his 2018 Senate reelection. Something might happen in the next two years to change my mind... but it would have to be a big "something", I think.
Let it burn.

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:54 pm »

Reince Priebus said today on Hannity for those GOP candidates who continue to withhold their endorsement of Donald Trump that there could be a political price to pay should they seek the presidency in 4 or 8 years...coming to the RNC for assistance in their campaigns.

After all, he continued, what should a party do if a candidate breaks the rules of the party by not honoring their pledge. There must be some consequence.

He also noted that North Carolina has a rule for its state primary that in order to be considered to be on the ballot a candidate MUST pledge to support the eventual nominee.

Seems to me Kasich is being a dick, and stupid one at that. The withholding of Kasich's pledge has virtually no impact on the nominee but it could impact Kasich's future.

Cruz was elected in Texas in 2012 with the full force of the GOP Machine against him.  In spite of your wet dream wishes - He will again. 

It really is interesting that the guy that gave us Romney in 2012 is a hero of your's now. 

Good Luck with that Weasel.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:51 pm »
I can't stand to watch or hear either New York liberal.

Nor can I. My heart is sick.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

geronl

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:32:36 pm »
I saw a quote, I forgot who it was attributed to:

"When you dance with the devil, you don't change the devil, the devil changes you!"

That is a good description of the Trump crap.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:33 pm »

Yeah, we know.  That is how a corrupt oligarchy operates.

Which is why your party is irrelevant as far as Constitutional Conservatism goes.

The GOP is just another arm of the Liberal Statist Uniparty of DC.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »

Since Priebus won't be around after January, his threats are worthless.

As for Kasich, you actually think anybody gives a damn about some pledge to support a clown?  Kasich's future is not dependent on some little snot like Priebus.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:24:20 am »

Ted did not so much as endorse trump as he dis-endorsed Hillary.

That is pretty much where I am too.  I will not defend trump.. he is a nasty work, but I will vote my conscience.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 01:29:21 am »

Priebus brought down the hammer.  Word has been sent out that anyone not getting on board the Trump Train will be crushed.  After the Convention rules vote, the establishment GOP leaders wield more power than ever, thanks to Trump.

This doesn't excuse what Cruz did, but it does show why he did what he did.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 01:32:23 am »
Since Priebus won't be around after January, his threats are worthless.

Think again.  Thanks to Trump, the GOPe is now more entrenched than ever.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-