Author Topic: Glenn Beck faces reality: I was wrong about Ted Cruz  (Read 7580 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Glenn Beck faces reality: I was wrong about Ted Cruz
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »
He took a lot of hits for supporting Cruz.  That is just a fact.  Anything else he said is a separate issue.  Look at the crazy things Trump has said.  Beck was attacked by the Trump Mob because he was a Cruz supporter.

@RAT Patrol

Yes he took a lot of hits for saying Cruz was the messiah.   Most of the hits came from Trump media,  aka National Enquirer and Drudge.   Beck deserved to take hits for what he was saying.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 07:39:21 pm »
@RAT Patrol

Yes he took a lot of hits for saying Cruz was the messiah.   Most of the hits came from Trump media,  aka National Enquirer and Drudge.   Beck deserved to take hits for what he was saying.

Beck never said anything remotely like that.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 08:14:13 pm »
That is the difference between you and Principled Constitutionalists (I'm using that term because 'Conservatism is being hijacked the same way the word 'Progressive' was), and  ideologues wrapped up in a cult of personality.

They will make excuses, obfuscate and tear down others to loft up their political messiah.  It's what all Collectivists/Statists do, regardless whether they self identify as Democrats or Populist Nationalists.

@INVAR @CatherineofAragon

So you continue your search for the perfect politician.   Meanwhile in the real world conservatives continue to lose ground hand over fist.

You have to pick your battles and fight those you can win.   Its a far cry from where Cruz is to being a Collectivist.   Trump is far far closer.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 08:49:58 pm »
"Glenn Beck faces reality"

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 08:52:50 pm »
Beck never said anything remotely like that.

Absolutely true.  I listened to him daily for a long time, and there was nothing even remotely close to his saying that Cruz was "the Messiah."

He was over the top at times, as Beck frequently is, but he never attributed super-human qualities to Cruz.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:39 pm »

So you continue your search for the perfect politician.   Meanwhile in the real world conservatives continue to lose ground hand over fist.

Because they keep doing what Cruz just did and surrender in the name of 'getting along' and 'party unity' while their party and the nation got dragged off the cliff to the Left.

Perhaps it is time to insist on a "perfect" Constitutional Conservative rather than these "pay-to-play" politicians and bootlickers.

We have 30 years of voting for less-then-perfect, lesser than perfect, and egregious affronts to Conservatives for more liberal, and greater liberal and liberal populist-nationalist self-identifying Conservatives.  Those that sell-out and surrender are soon ostracized and just become a mouthpiece for the Establishment if they want relevance - while principles are discarded for expedience.  And off the cliff we went.

You have to pick your battles and fight those you can win.   

Conservatives already lost this battle.  Cruz did his reputation no service in what he did.  His regurgitation of the 'binary choice' lie this morning pretty much revealed what I feared about him and sealed his reputation as no different than Mitch McConnell's.  Cruz lost all the respect and trust I had that one day he could be someone I would support for our standard bearer.  He threw that all away as far as I am concerned.

As to knowing when to surrender and when to fight on...

Washington never surrendered to the British.  He never compromised and agreed with the Crown for the sake of 'unity'.  He never said nice things about the King so he could still have a seat at their table.   He also did not choose to fight in the manner that the British laid down.  Instead he ran, and escaped one Redcoat ambush after another - while steadfastly refusing to give in to the 'establishment' and their tyrannical prince.

He won the war, by simply escaping and biding his time until it was right to emerge and engage with an unwatered down cause of righteous liberty. 

Cruz on the other hand surrendered wholesale and declared himself a 'loyalist' and therefore lost his integrity and our trust in his ability to fight for our liberties the process.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Longmire

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 09:21:58 pm »
Beck's still a good man, he's just an entertainer first.

@TomSea  :laugh:

Silver Pines

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:34 pm »
@CatherineofAragon   You will like this one:  https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/09/ted-cruzs-submission  That is how I see it, too.  Cruz submitted.  Trump conquered.  Sad.

@RAT Patrol

I actually hated reading it, but you know what I'm talking about.

"The morning after his non-endorsement at the GOP convention in Cleveland, Cruz acknowledged his earlier promise to endorse the GOP nominee. But, he explained, “That pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, that I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say thank you very much for maligning my wife and maligning my father.”

Yet today, he said that the convention speech was an attempt to unify the party and reach out to Trump.  What??

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 11:07:19 pm »
Cruz on the other hand surrendered wholesale and declared himself a 'loyalist' and therefore lost his integrity and our trust in his ability to fight for our liberties the process.
What do you expect from a Canadian?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 11:08:33 pm »
Well stated @CatherineofAragon, as I have always noticed in your comments.

I'm disappointed not that Cruz would decide to vote for Trump or that he would provide behind-the-scenes support for the Trump campaign such as lists of supporters.  I am disappointed that Cruz perpetuated the "binary choice" argument, that he detailed a list of reasons for supporting Trump, and that he encouraged others to do so.

I would have preferred for Cruz to remain silent, or failing that simply to say something like "if the election were held today I would vote for Trump" and leave it at that.  In my opinion Cruz has gained nothing and lost much in the way he's handled this.  I will refrain from speculation on his actual motives.

Cruz still has a very high rating as a conservative and will almost certainly get my vote here in TX when he runs for re-election to the Senate in 2018.  But he's come down a few notches in my estimation.  Of course my thoughts have no influence, they are simply my thoughts.

@HoustonSam

I appreciate your kind compliment.  I'm about where you are.  If I were in Texas, I would vote for Cruz;  his accomplishments on behalf of conservatism and the Constitution are well-known.  And I expect he'll continue in that manner.  But this morning I heard him slither, obfuscate, and directly contradict himself.  It was a new and unpleasant experience.

Silver Pines

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:21 pm »

You have to pick your battles and fight those you can win.   Its a far cry from where Cruz is to being a Collectivist.   Trump is far far closer.

@driftdiver
@INVAR

I would vote for Cruz if he ran for president again, and you won't see me disparaging his conservative accomplishments.  I agree that he's one of the best we have in the Senate.

But there's no denying the way I heard him slip and slide this morning on the radio.  He directly contradicted himself a couple of times, and I'm not going to buy that just because he's Ted Cruz.  I didn't like what I heard.

By the way, I wish people would stop with the "perfect politician" thing.  Is there really anyone who believes there's a perfect human being on the planet?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 11:39:19 pm »
@driftdiver
@INVAR

I would vote for Cruz if he ran for president again, and you won't see me disparaging his conservative accomplishments.  I agree that he's one of the best we have in the Senate.

But there's no denying the way I heard him slip and slide this morning on the radio.  He directly contradicted himself a couple of times, and I'm not going to buy that just because he's Ted Cruz.  I didn't like what I heard.

By the way, I wish people would stop with the "perfect politician" thing.  Is there really anyone who believes there's a perfect human being on the planet?

The 'perfect politician' thing is just what it has always been. People looking for excuses to justify voting for liberals instead of conservatives. It's their way to shore up their crumbling foundation. It's also like the little robot kid in Spielberg's "AI" movie. They think if they keep repeating their mantra that it will come true. But like the robokid, their batteries will eventually run down and the Blue Fairy isn't going to grant their wish.

Ultimately they are voting for/supporting the very same things that got us to this point. They keep  making excuses and electing the very people that move America to the left and justify it with nonsense like 'no perfect pol'. Because ultimately their actions show that a more liberal America than what we have is what they WANT. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't take actions to secure that outcome.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 11:56:33 pm »
@RAT Patrol

I actually hated reading it, but you know what I'm talking about.

"The morning after his non-endorsement at the GOP convention in Cleveland, Cruz acknowledged his earlier promise to endorse the GOP nominee. But, he explained, “That pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, that I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say thank you very much for maligning my wife and maligning my father.”

Yet today, he said that the convention speech was an attempt to unify the party and reach out to Trump.  What??

Is it possible that what he said the day after the Convention was said partly out of emotion/anger, and that he has since cooled down and reconsidered?  I mean, I know some of his supporters are disappointed, but it's not like he pulled a Jumpin' Jim Jeffords and changed his mind after people voted for him based on certain statements.  No election has been held since the Convention, so it's not like he "tricked" people into supporting him and then changed his mind.

The guy reconsidered.  Is that really so horrible?

Offline Fantom

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 12:13:32 am »
Beck is just responding in his own unique "Glenn Beck way" to the disappointment that Cruse will vote for Trump. I remember the GB show where Crus was a guest and Beck had Cruse hold George Washington's compass placing his thump on the indentation that Washington's thumb made on it - like some power was going to be transferred from Washington to Cruz. At the time I was still trying to make my own mind up  between Cruse or Rubio and thought that part of the show a bit awkward. And I normally like his show.

It could be argued that Cruse was the most conservative and least likely to bend to political pressure of the original 17. But most likable, or electable not even close.   

As far as him voting for Trump. I don't really care. I am not going to think any less of him if he does or does not, nor any other traditional Republican voter.  We all have to make our own decision on what we are going to do.   What Cruz said about voting your conscience does not change.

Well said.  :beer:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline skeeter

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 12:23:16 am »
Is it possible that what he said the day after the Convention was said partly out of emotion/anger, and that he has since cooled down and reconsidered?  I mean, I know some of his supporters are disappointed, but it's not like he pulled a Jumpin' Jim Jeffords and changed his mind after people voted for him based on certain statements.  No election has been held since the Convention, so it's not like he "tricked" people into supporting him and then changed his mind.

The guy reconsidered.  Is that really so horrible?

Cruz was born to be a politician. And I do not mean politician in the contemporary derogatory sense. He loves the system as initially conceived and obviously thinks he can have a roll in restoring it.

The GOP would've destroyed him as a politician. They still may.

It must've been a very difficult pill for him to swallow.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 12:27:55 am »

Cruz was born to be a politician. And I do not mean politician in the contemporary derogatory sense. He loves the system as initially conceived and obviously thinks he can have a roll in restoring it.

The GOP would've destroyed him as a politician. They still may.

It must've been a very difficult pill for him to swallow.

You mean a Statesman. Ted is a Statesman.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline skeeter

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 12:31:27 am »
You mean a Statesman. Ted is a Statesman.

Yes, thats a much better term & without the negative connotation.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 12:45:29 am »
Whatever disappointments or revelations Cruz' supporters might have regarding his character after the Trump endorsement -  I would much prefer that Cruz be at the podium tonight to eviscerate the evil woman than the guy that will be there.

But, alas ...

I fear this entire event is going to be a train wreck.  It would be amusing to observe if this country's very future wasn't at stake.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:45:48 am by ArneFufkin »

Silver Pines

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 12:57:25 am »
Whatever disappointments or revelations Cruz' supporters might have regarding his character after the Trump endorsement -  I would much prefer that Cruz be at the podium tonight to eviscerate the evil woman than the guy that will be there.

But, alas ...

I fear this entire event is going to be a train wreck.  It would be amusing to observe if this country's very future wasn't at stake.

@ArneFufkin

Cruz gutting Hillary would have been epic.  I had hoped we would be able to see it.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 08:51:25 am »
Beck is just responding in his own unique "Glenn Beck way" to the disappointment that Cruse will vote for Trump. I remember the GB show where Crus was a guest and Beck had Cruse hold George Washington's compass placing his thump on the indentation that Washington's thumb made on it - like some power was going to be transferred from Washington to Cruz.

:silly:  Beck is such a loony toons kook. Sorry Beck fans. The guy is mental. Always was, always will be.

Offline DB

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2016, 09:05:58 am »
Funny how they were throwing Beck under the bus when he was supporting Cruz but use him as an example when things change.

Beck has been off the rails for a while.   This isn't any different. 

I would like Cruz to explain why he allowed Beck to play such a prominent role.

Cruz made a huge mistake doing events with Beck. Beck has been off the rails for some time and Cruz should have known better and is paying the price for it.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2016, 10:09:44 am »
I just got my absentee ballot here in NJ and thankfully it arrived AFTER the defection of Cruz.  I was going to write him in for president.  NO WAY NO HOW HELL NO
My ballot is ready to go back to the county WITHOUT Cruz name written in.   He did get my primary write in which was meaningless since he had already dropped out.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:49 am »
"It’s my fault for believing men can actually be George Washington. It’s my fault.”

Meanwhile, in other news, Glen Beck opines that Washington is no Ted Cruz.

Remember, this is Glen Beck we are talking about. That boy has lost too many balls in the high weeds.

Why he would think that Cruz (or anyone) would be the next Washington is beyond me to begin with.

He did say some pretty far out things on Cruz's behalf in the primary, things Cruz (or anyone else) could not live up to.

If he is disappointed, that is understandable, but to say he was wrong to support him, just points out that he projected the Cruz he wanted, not the Cruz that is.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »
@driftdiver
@INVAR

@CatherineofAragon

I agree with what you said.  I think Cruz is a good guy who is trying to do the right thing.   Something which is incredibly hard to do in Washington DC.   He tries to stop the slide and push us back up the slippery slope.  He's not always successful but has compromised on the wrong things at times.   

DC is a cesspool and I don't think its possible for anyone to stay grounded.   Cruz has done far better than anyone else I've seen except maybe Allen West.

Silver Pines

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2016, 05:01:06 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

I agree with what you said.  I think Cruz is a good guy who is trying to do the right thing.   Something which is incredibly hard to do in Washington DC.   He tries to stop the slide and push us back up the slippery slope.  He's not always successful but has compromised on the wrong things at times.   

DC is a cesspool and I don't think its possible for anyone to stay grounded.   Cruz has done far better than anyone else I've seen except maybe Allen West.

@driftidiver, well, this morning I'm wondering if I should retract some of that.  He said in an interview with Hugh Hewitt that the people objecting to his support for Trump are liberal Republicans.  That crap doesn't fly with me.