Author Topic: Donald Trump's economic plan is a complete and utter joke  (Read 1505 times)

Offline sinkspur

Donald Trump's economic plan is a complete and utter joke
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:10:27 pm »
http://theweek.com/articles/649680/donald-trumps-economic-plan-complete-utter-joke?utm_source=links&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=twitter

Donald Trump's economic plan is a complete and utter joke

James Pethokoukis

September 20, 2016

Donald Trump's economic agenda is hardly the most disturbing thing one can imagine happening in a Trump presidency. What would he do, for instance, if America suffered a major terrorist attack — impulsively bomb someone, somewhere, with the same erratic disregard he exhibits on Twitter? Or what would this petty man, who finds no slight too small or offense too minor to prompt never-ending grudges, do with the nation's massive spying apparatus at his disposal? A bit of tape over your webcam might provide insufficient privacy protection against the all-seeing eye of President Trump.

But such speculations are difficult to quantify. Modeling Trump's economic plans, on the other hand, is comparatively easy. And indeed, on Monday, two nonpartisan organizations offered serious appraisals of Trump-onomics.

There was little in their findings to suggest Trump and his advisers have constructed his policy proposals with an equally serious approach.

The Tax Foundation reckons that Trump's plan to slash personal and corporate taxes would reduce federal revenue by between $4.4 trillion and $5.9 trillion over a decade, not assuming any possible pro-growth economic feedback. But even when optimistically factoring in better incentives to work and invest — what tax wonks call "dynamic scoring" — the plan would still lose between $2.6 trillion and $3.9 trillion over the next decade. That means that even assuming gangbusters growth, Trump would greatly worsen the nation's debt situation.

Now some Trump supporters, such the GOP's Reagan-era "supply-siders," might point out that critics made similar complaints about Ronald Reagan's big tax cuts and things turned out alright. But the U.S. government is in a much different fiscal situation today than in 1981, or even a decade ago. America's 74 percent debt-to-GDP ratio is at a historically high level, more than twice what it was pre-Great Recession and three times the level it was when the Gipper took office. What's more, none of this added Trump debt accounts for the massive new spending Trump has promised on the military and infrastructure. Trump has also said he doesn't want to fundamentally reform middle-class entitlements, a key driver of future budget deficits.

Trump has mused before about how he enjoys playing with debt. And to wit, when I questioned Trump economic adviser Stephen Moore about the plan's red ink during a radio interview, he replied, "Whether it's going to pay for itself, I don't really care." The Congressional Budget Office is less sanguine, however, warning America's debt trajectory risks weaker economic growth going forward.

Now, as it turns out, the Tax Foundation does not take into account the economic effects of interest on debt. (Lucky for Trump!) The Tax Foundation also didn't try to model Trump's protectionist trade agenda. But the Peterson Institute for International Economics did.

In a new analysis, Peterson looks at what might happen if the Trump administration imposed a big tariff on imports from China and Mexico, with those nations responding in kind. The projected result would be recession and the loss of nearly 5 million jobs at the downturn's nadir in 2019. And depending on how exactly the conflict played out and how global supply chains were affected, American consumers — at least those who still had jobs — might find it tough to buy their favorite electronic gadgets.

From the report:

The iPhone could be China's secret weapon in retaliation. … [C]utting off supplies to Apple could severely disrupt the availability and increase the price of a beloved consumer product. Moreover, with Chinese firms moving into the smartphone market, China could disrupt not only the production of iPhones but also supply the alternative models. The collective howl of pain might induce even the most ardent protectionist to reconsider. [Peterson Institute for International Economics]

The GOP loves to think of itself as the "party of ideas." It even has a policy wonk as its top elected official, House Speaker Paul Ryan. Likewise, it likes to portray the Democratic Party as intellectually exhausted, with nothing new to offer voters. But the Republican nominee for president has put forward a totally unserious agenda. Does the GOP care?

Republicans say they care about fiscal discipline, but their nominee would greatly increase the national debt with deep tax cuts and new spending. Republicans say they care about the middle class, but their nominee's tax and child care plans are lopsided toward wealthier families. Republicans say they care about economic growth, but their nominee would launch an economically destructive trade war.

And, of course, Trump-onomics isn't even close to the worst thing about Trump.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:10:51 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Donald Trump's economic plan is a complete and utter joke
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »
Dead on. Donny's plans are going to be an unmitigated disaster.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 10:03:20 pm »
I wouldn't expect any of his ideas to be anything different than a joke.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »
His proposals are utterly irresponsible.  The blunt fact of the matter is, even with all of her extravagant new spending, Clinton's plans are prudent by comparison based on analysis done by the tax foundation.

It's pretty damned pathetic when even a hard left democrat's proposals are more prudent than yours.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:06:42 pm by Oceander »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:27:14 pm »
His proposals are utterly irresponsible.  The blunt fact of the matter is, even with all of her extravagant new spending, Clinton's plans are prudent by comparison based on analysis done by the tax foundation.

It's pretty damned pathetic when even a hard left democrat's proposals are more prudent than yours.

I think you mean that one which claimed Trump would add 5 trillion of new debt in 10 years whereas Clinton would add 200 billion in the same time?

While I buy the Trump numbers, I do not buy the Clinton numbers. I think both will add significantly to our debt. 
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

geronl

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:30:39 pm »
I think you mean that one which claimed Trump would add 5 trillion of new debt in 10 years whereas Clinton would add 200 billion in the same time?

While I buy the Trump numbers, I do not buy the Clinton numbers. I think both will add significantly to our debt.

The Clinton numbers make no sense. But if Trump keeps his jaws flapping, he might make her the more conservative in the race.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 10:31:13 pm »
Both Trump and Clinton will seek an economic policy that relies on more Keynesian and less on Austrian economics. In fact, their economicpolicies will be closer to BHO's than Milton Friedman's
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 10:35:38 pm »

I'm willing to put some credence into the analysis by the Tax Foundation.  After all, an organization that is consistently trashed by Paul Krugman cannot be that wrong.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 10:42:22 pm »

Not according to Larry Kudlow, he thinks it's a winner. He is credited with working with Mr. Trump on his economic plan.

During President Reagan's first administration, Kudlow was associate director for economics and planning in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). He's a respected supply-side economist.

Take a look at his bio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kudlow

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 10:50:04 pm »

Not according to Larry Kudlow, he thinks it's a winner. He is credited with working with Mr. Trump on his economic plan.

During President Reagan's first administration, Kudlow was associate director for economics and planning in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). He's a respected supply-side economist.

Take a look at his bio.

Does or does not the Trump plan expand the footprint of government i.e. new programs and spending?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:14 pm »
Kudlow.

More wrong than right on economic predictions

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/214729/housing-bears-are-wrong-again-larry-kudlow

He also stated Bill Clinton's policies will lead to Recession and/or Depression

Barry Goldwater

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:14 pm »
By the way, James Pethokoukis is a big-time Trump critic, much like you guys. Therefore, I would take his opinion with a grain of salt. After all, it's not unusual for economists to disagree. Just a suggestion, but to fully understand the issue, I would look for some balanced analysis. That, along with your own commonsense and life experiences should serve you well.

No need to thank me for that information and advice, I'm here to help.  ^-^
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:04:49 am by aligncare »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 12:04:26 am »

Take a look at his bio.

Nothing about Trump's economic plan is close to supply side.  A new entitlement program, no entitlement reform,  a half-trillion dollar "infrastructure" plan (Paul Ryan said Thursday "We've already done infrastructure."), and a healthcare replacement for Obamacare that nobody seems to know anything about. 

Trump and you obviously don't care about adding to the debt. Some supply side.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 12:06:32 am »
By the way, James Pethokoukis is a big-time Trump critic, much like you guys. Therefore, I would take his opinion with a grain of salt. After all, it's not unusual for economists to disagree. Just a suggestion, but to fully understand the issue, I would look for some balanced analysis. That, along with your own commonsense and life experiences should serve you well.

No need to thank me for that information and advice, I'm here to help.  ^-^

This is not Pethokoukis' analysis.  He is quoting The Tax Foundation and the Peterson Institute.  Two very respected CONSERVATIVE economic think tanks. They think Trump's plan sucks.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 12:11:11 am »
Donald Trump 's economic plan is a complete and utter joke

Fixed it.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 12:28:19 am »
The Clinton numbers make no sense. But if Trump keeps his jaws flapping, he might make her the more conservative in the race.

Won't be the first time. Romney's actual record had less conservatism in it than Obamas. Barry at least, was against gay marriage. Mitt couldn't even manage that. The most conservative candidate actually won in 2012. I asked people for years on FR to prove otherwise. no one ever did.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 12:45:47 am »

5-minutes wasted posting here. My bad.