Author Topic: CMPD said Keith Lamont Scott had a gun. Was that reason enough to order him to drop it?  (Read 6802 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
There is a big advantage to living in a small town. The cops 'know' who you are.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

There is a big advantage to living in a small town. The cops 'know' who you are.

YEP... And there is a big disadvantage to living in a small town. The cops 'know' who you are.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
YEP... And there is a big disadvantage to living in a small town. The cops 'know' who you are.

For them. heh heh heh
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@roamer_1

Yup. I have been living in a rural area for around 40 years now,and for 40 years I have been telling local "bad boys" who weren't really bad boys that their ONLY chance for living a normal life was to move somewhere else,preferably a medium to large city where nobody knew them or their families so they could make a fresh start. The majority of these "bad boys" weren't really bad,but they were mischievous,young and full of energy,and hard-headed. They also had older brothers,fathers,uncles,and cousins were were ALL drunken and/or drugged white trash.

They had bad reputations by the time they were 18. Hell,they had bad reputations from BIRTH because of the actions of generations of people in their family screwing up. When everybody in the county knows your entire family going back at least 3 generations were nothing but white trash and trouble,that is your destiny no matter how hard you try to break free from it. Nobody is going to give you a chance because it has been tried before with previous generations with no luck at all.

That meant that nobody was going to give them a good job and teach them a trade,and it also meant they were going to get picked up for some petty beef at least twice a year and miss work while waiting for a court appearance BECAUSE the cops watched them like hawks,knowing they were going to be up to something. Where the normal boy/young man their age could almost always get away with drinking 3 beers and driving home due to nothing more than pure dumb luck,anytime a cop spotted one of these guys driving around after 10 PM he WAS going to get stopped and searched. Chances are if they couldn't pop them for driving while impaired,they could pop them for having a joint in their pocket,expired inspection sticker,etc,etc,etc.

In other words,as long as they continued to live in this little rural area they were destined to never be able to clean their act up and get ahead in life. LOTS of us did the same things these guys did when we were teens,but we were just lucky enough to have never gotten caught at it. As a result we had the chance to put together a couple of years in a row getting on our feet while maturing so we had trades and could see some sort of possible future if we kept our noses clean and worked hard. They never even saw a chance for a steady job as a laborer. They were always the last hired when the local economy was booming,and the first let go when it slowed down.

Many of us that had no family connections to careers and a better life joined the military in order to get a trade,steady income,and the hell out of here so we could have a future. That opportunity wasn't available to them because for the most part the military quit taking people with arrest records. They were just stuck on the fast track to poverty and prison if they stayed here.

Almost none of them took my advice. They didn't want to leave what they knew and try something else,and they didn't want to leave the security of their families. They were born poor white trash,and they will die as poor white trash.

BTW,the ones from these families that did manage to get away and on their feet by joining the military that came back home when they retired ended up moving away again. This was true with EVERY single case I am aware of. They came home to retire and live respectable lives while raising children or grandchildren,and their white trash families kept coming around to borrow money they never paid back,get therm or their children involved in their schemes,wanting job references from them,etc,etc,etc. In other words,wanting to drag them and their children back into the family fold.  I can't think of one single case where they didn't end up selling their house and moving away again in self-defense.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:23:34 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Yup. I have been living in a rural area for around 40 years now,and for 40 years I have been telling local "bad boys" who weren't really bad boys that their ONLY chance for living a normal life was to move somewhere else,preferably a medium to large city. The majority of these "bad boys" weren't really bad,but they were mischievous,young and full of energy,and hard-headed. They had bad reputations by the time they were 18,[...]

That resembles my own brilliantly misspent yoot... The difference, perhaps, is in what happened if I got busted.
I would happily spend the weekend in County Jail... Just don't call my old man. But then, they all knew my old man too, so of course, they'd call the old man.

He was a whiskey runner back in his day, and it wasn't so much that I was acting up, as it was my getting caught at it... He took that as a personal affront. Except for knocking heads. The first time he came down to throw my bail, when we got out to the truck, he asked who and how many... and then he asked if I won (which I had)... Then he said this was the only time he'd ever throw my bail for fighting... from then on, I could sit and wait for the judge.

And he was good to that promise. Never another time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That resembles my own brilliantly misspent yoot... The difference, perhaps, is in what happened if I got busted.
I would happily spend the weekend in County Jail... Just don't call my old man. ....

@roamer_1

I probably started paying attention to this stuff earlier than most because I basically raised myself. I was going out by myself and staying out until midnight or so when I was 8 years old. My parents both told me to do anything I wanted to do,but to know that I was on my own if I got caught because they weren't going to bail me out. That was the year I built a 22 caliber zip gun out of a broken car antenna,straps of inner tube,a door hook,and a block of wood. I also carried a gravity knife,and sometimes a Boy Scout hatchet on my belt sharp enough you could shave with it. I may have been young and little,but I wasn't exactly helpless.

AFAIK,the only time I was ever in any real danger was due to my father not thinking. He used to get paid by check every Friday night,and send me to the grocery store 4 or 5 blocks away to cash the checks and bring the money home. He was pulling in maybe 130 bucks a week in the 50's,and that was big money back in those days. We lived on the edges of the black community in that city,and here I was a 8 year old white boy on a bicycle with more than 100 bucks in cash in his pocket.  What could have possibly gone wrong there?

Had two black teens jump out from behind some bushes one evening to rob me,but instead of trying to get away and being caught,beaten (or worse),and robbed,I just dumped the bike on it's side,pulled the hatchet out of my belt,and went at them. I smacked the closest one in the head with the blunt end of the hatchet,he fell like a rock,and the other one just hauled ass. I know I didn't kill him because there was no report in the local paper the next day about anyone being killed in my area,but he was damn sure laying on the sidewalk bleeding hard when I got back on the bike and went home. Never had any more problems after that and never even told my parents it happened.

By the time I was 12 I was telling him to go cash his own damn check because by 5 PM Friday night I was out and about. I had discovered girls. Didn't quite know what it was I liked or how to go about discovering it,but I was out looking and hanging out with high school drop outs. The guys called "greasers" now. They had cars and they had girls,and I wanted to know about ALL that stuff. Smoked pot for the first time in when I was around 12-13 years old and hanging around guys that were driving tail-dragging 50 Mercs and Model A coupes with hot V-8's in them and no fenders.

By the time I was 14 I was leaving home on Friday and not coming back again until Monday in warm weather. Never even bothered to tell them where I was going or when I would be back because I didn't know myself.

By the time I was 17 I was in army basic training,pursuing my dream of becoming a US Paratrooper. I had quit school when I was 16 because it bored me,and had been working whatever labor jobs I could find while waiting to get old enough to enlist. 

That must have suited them because when I got home from basic training my mother had already given all my civilian clothes away. Don't remember even getting a letter from them while I was in basic,either. My father couldn't read and write because he had to quit school in the 3rd grade to go to work to help support his family after his father died,and my mother had a hard time writing because she had to quit school in the 5th grade after both her parents died.  When I would get a letter from them while in Asia,it would be because someone that could read and write had stopped by to visit,and my mother got them to write the letter for her after reading my last letter to her. 

Which I guess pretty much explains their approach to child-rearing. They had to become adults before they were 10,so they expected the same from me.  It was what they knew.

Sounds a little harsh reading it in these modern times where the state is always there to raise the children as well as the parents,but the reality is I knew from a very early age that if I was going to get ahead in life it was up to me to do it on my own or suffer the consequences. Seems like most people these days are in their 20's before they learn that lesson. Even then it seems to be only the lucky ones that learn it that young.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:58:42 pm by sneakypete »

Offline thackney

@roamer_1
Sounds a little harsh reading it in these modern times where the state is always there to raise the children as well as the parents,but the reality is I knew from a very early age that if I was going to get ahead in life it was up to me to do it on my own or suffer the consequences. Seems like most people these days are in their 20's before they learn that lesson. Even then it seems to be only the lucky ones that learn it that young.

Thanks for sharing your background history.  My kids don't have it that rough, but they do understand I help them get the opportunities, they are responsible to succeed in the opportunities.

Carved in stone, next to the children's current pictures, we have the following:

Raise the child for the path, not the path for the child.

They get reminded all the time, their success depends on their own effort.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Carved in stone, next to the children's current pictures, we have the following:

Raise the child for the path, not the path for the child.

They get reminded all the time, their success depends on their own effort.

@thackney

Yup. Your parents are TYPICALLY (not in my case. If I had any problems,I was the one that created them.) only responsible for your problems until you are in your early 20's and have been on your own for a few years to gain some life experience and perspective.

After that you are on your own and living in a "No Whine Zone". I don't want to hear it. A saying that was VERY popular and accurate when I was in the army was "If you have came to me looking for sympathy,it's right between "shit" and "syphilis" in the dictionary. Man the BLEEP UP!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I would happily spend the weekend in County Jail... Just don't call my old man. But then, they all knew my old man too, so of course, they'd call the old man.

He was a whiskey runner back in his day,

@roamer_1

BTW,forgot to mention that my father got the money to buy his first brand new car (a 6 cly 1953 Ford 4dr) by making corn whiskey in the attic. Had the still up there and vented it out the chimney. Had a deal going with a couple of taxi drivers. They would buy it from him and get their cut when they sold it. That way he didn't have a lot of people coming to the house to raise suspiscions. My mother didn't drive,so taxi's coming there was a normal thing.