Author Topic: Rumsfeld on George H.W. Bush voting for Clinton: ‘He’s up in years’  (Read 455 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Rumsfeld on George H.W. Bush voting for Clinton: ‘He’s up in years’

By Madeline Conway

09/22/16 11:01 AM EDT
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld defended his endorsement of GOP nominee Donald Trump, when prodded, by suggesting that the Republican nominee is “not untruthful.”

Rumsfeld, who served as defense secretary under Presidents Gerald Ford and George W. Bush, offered his reasoning on supporting Trump over Hillary Clinton in an interview with MSNBC that aired Thursday: “I look at it and say, I don’t agree with either of them 100 percent of the time, but who do I think would be best for the country, and what do I think is acceptable?”

“Maybe not preferred. But acceptable, as opposed to what’s unacceptable, and I think truthfulness and believability and,” Rumsfeld said, pausing before concluding: “Truthfulness is important.”

MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle followed up, asking, “You think he’s truthful?”

“I think he's not untruthful,” Rumsfeld elaborated. “And I think she is.”

According to recent polling, both candidates face the perception among many voters that they are dishonest, and Clinton has grappled with voters’ belief that she is untrustworthy, fueled by criticisms over her use of a private email server as secretary of state.

But Trump, too, has repeatedly made false statements on the campaign trail, to the point that some critics have accused him of propagating conspiracy theories. He only last week backed down from his false claim that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States.

Ruhle also asked Rumsfeld about reports that former President George H. Bush plans to vote for Clinton, rather than Trump, in November. Rumsfeld said he’s not surprised, and asked why, Rumsfeld replied, “He’s up in years.”

“So are you,” Ruhle said back.

Rumsfeld elaborated: “He's up in years, and he obviously comes from a totally different cut than Donald Trump, and he gets his choice.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-rumsfeld-trump-not-untruthful-228519
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DiogenesLamp

Re: Rumsfeld on George H.W. Bush voting for Clinton: ‘He’s up in years’
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:47:07 pm »
George H.W. Bush voting for Clinton: ‘He’s up in years’

That,  and he has always had a tendency to backstab conservatives in order to solicit approval from his "friends"  the Democrats.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:04:24 pm »
That,  and he has always had a tendency to backstab conservatives in order to solicit approval from his "friends"  the Democrats.

:boring:

Bush's reasoning is understandable, if wrong: Clinton seems safer (to him) than Trump does, if only because she represents a sort of politics that he can recognize. 

Whereas Trump represents a kind of recklessness and ill-discipline that a work-within-the-system guy like Bush viscerally opposes.

In terms of what the two candidates represent, he's right on both counts.  But of course, neither is actually fit.

Offline beandog

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:00:17 pm »
How funny is it that an 84 year old calls a 92 year old "Up in Years".   :silly:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 07:33:08 pm »
How funny is it that an 84 year old calls a 92 year old "Up in Years".   :silly:

Some people are like that. My grandma died last year at 96, she never once till almost the very end talked about or acted like she was old. I always loved that about her.
The Republic is lost.