Author Topic: Cruz’s campaign manager: He’s impressed with Trump’s new discipline and thinks about endorsing every day  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Longmire

It always seemed likely Cruz would sit it out if Trump were down big in polls, tweeted John McCormack of the Weekly Standard, and back Trump if it ended up close. Right. A non-endorsement at the convention could always be undone later, sort of, by having Cruz back Trump in the final weeks before Election Day if need be. But an early endorsement couldn’t be undone. If Cruz climbed aboard the Trump train in Cleveland, he’d be along for the ride no matter which crazy places that train might go. So he took the more prudent route — wait and see — but didn’t expect the backlash he ended up receiving for his “vote your conscience” pitch. He’s probably been looking to catch the train ever since. And now that Trump has mellowed out a little and stands a real chance of winning, Cruz might feel safer in endorsing after all. If nothing else, it’ll ease some of the atomic butthurt among his donors and political allies and lower the odds of a Senate primary challenge in two years.

That’s one theory, that Cruz really is “softening,” to borrow a phrase from Trump. The other theory is that Cruz actually hasn’t said a word to Roe about backing Trump and Roe is trying to use public pressure to get him to reconsider, for whatever reason. Maybe Roe himself has swung around to an “anyone but Hillary” position or maybe Roe is being a very clear-eyed pragmatist about the political trouble that holding out is causing Cruz.

More at HotAir: http://hotair.com/archives/2016/09/21/cruzs-campaign-manager-hes-impressed-trumps-new-discipline-thinks-endorsing-every-day/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I think what Cruz is really saying is that he's not going to endorse Trump, but he will run out the clock by at least sounding somewhat positive about him a little bit, so that the Trumpers will STHU already.
The Republic is lost.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I think what Cruz is really saying is that he's not going to endorse Trump, but he will run out the clock by at least sounding somewhat positive about him a little bit, so that the Trumpers will STHU already.

I tend to agree.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline roamer_1

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
The title of the thread is very misleading.  Somebody said in a tweet that Cruz's campaign manager said that he, the campaign manager, was impressed by Trump's new discipline.  This is wishful thinking by Trump supporters.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Optiguy

I'm not sure why it's even an issue to Trump supporters. Didn't Trump say he didn't need the conservative voters?

Offline sinkspur

Cruz is political, above all else.  If it's close, he might endorse.  That endorsement, however, would undo all the good he did by taking the courageous stand he took at the Convention.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
I've read that his office has denied this. I'm looking for a link to that.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline skeeter

so that the Trumpers will STHU already.

Fact chance of that happening.

Offline skeeter

Cruz is political, above all else.  If it's close, he might endorse.  That endorsement, however, would undo all the good he did by taking the courageous stand he took at the Convention.

Outside of Geo Washington I can't think of a successful politician who got that way by not being political.

Offline Longmire

Didn't Trump say he didn't need the conservative voters?

No he didn't.

Offline Longmire

I've read that his office has denied this.

Yes, there seems to be a widening split inside the Cruz high command about whether Cruz should endorse and how strongly.

Offline libertybele

Yes, there seems to be a widening split inside the Cruz high command about whether Cruz should endorse and how strongly.

One thing is for certain; Cruz knows better than to trust Donald; he's not going to endorse him without some serious thinking.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Just_Victor

Considering the horrible things that Trump supporters have said about Roe during the primary campaign, it will be interesting to see their reactions to this news.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Optiguy

No he didn't.

What do you suppose he meant when he said "I have to stay true to my principles also. And I’m a conservative, but don’t forget, this is called the ‘Republican Party,’ not the ‘conservative party.’

As well as, "Does the party have to be together, does it have to be unified? I’m very different from anybody who’s perhaps ever run for office. I actually don’t think so. I think it would be better if it were unified, I think there would be something good about it, but I don’t actually think it has to be unified,”

Additionally, I would add in case there's any doubt, Trump not only has said he doesn't need conservatives, he shouted it from the mountains in his huge entitlement proposal regarding child care.

Offline Longmire

What do you suppose he meant when he said "I have to stay true to my principles also. And I’m a conservative, but don’t forget, this is called the ‘Republican Party,’ not the ‘conservative party.’

I think it would be fairly obvious what he meant. There are plenty of conservatives in the Republican party and plenty more who support him from outside the party.

The tiny fraction of "conservatives" that don't support him (and that number grows smaller daily) aren't needed.  :seeya:

Offline Optiguy

@Longmire Then he was saying "That tiny fraction"? If it was such a tiny fraction, how could that affect party unity? And as stated, his roll out of a huge new entitlement program, one which expands government in people's lives, says louder than anything, he does not seek to appeal to anyone that's conservative.

geronl

There is no "new discipline" in Trump. He is still gaffing his way through everything.

He called Lester Holt a Democrat and then backtracked on national stop n frisk to pretending it was about Chicago when it wasn't.

Just last week he had 3 big new very liberal new policy announcements.

Ted would be stupid to endorse this freak.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

If he did this I could never see him the same way.  Never thought he was a person to cave.  Trump hasn't changed.  He is still throwing out the same lies.  Same old Trump spewing his racism and misinformation.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Meldrew

I do hope Cruz would do a quick analysis of Sarah Palin's career, especially since she backed Trump, before he publicly backs the nominee.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think it would be fairly obvious what he meant. There are plenty of conservatives in the Republican party and plenty more who support him from outside the party.

The tiny fraction of "conservatives" that don't support him (and that number grows smaller daily) aren't needed.  :seeya:
Oh good. You can quit shoveling now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

Heh... :silly: Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Fact chance of that happening.

888high58888... guys, you're killing me.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Longmire

@Longmire Then he was saying "That tiny fraction"? If it was such a tiny fraction, how could that affect party unity? And as stated, his roll out of a huge new entitlement program, one which expands government in people's lives, says louder than anything, he does not seek to appeal to anyone that's conservative.

It's gonna suck when Cruz endorses him then huh? 

I'd say he's about one Clinton 'episode' away from doing so.