Author Topic: Cruz warms to Trump  (Read 12090 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Cruz warms to Trump
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 12:50:36 am »
I did say with the right conditions.  :beer:

And yes.. Ted is the man.

Yes he is.

And the point you made should not be overlooked - what really infuriates me is when the more enthusiastic supporters of a particular candidate (who happens to be of questionable character) browbeat everyone else into 'jumping on board' without giving a thought to maybe applying a little pressure to said candidate, before the election when there is leverage to do so, to at least give lip service to your issues.

They just want you to hand over your vote over to him without so much as even a glance in your direction. Stupid and in violation of the cardinal rule of negotiations.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:09 am »
He was appealing to the far right who relished fighting Obama with a shutdown.  They actually thought Obama would fold.  Fold on his signature issue.

Cruz knew better, but he knew his Cruzbots would support him (like Trumpkins) no matter what.  Republicans were down in favorables by 12 points at the end of the shutdown, a shutdown which accomplished nothing and allowed the media and Democrats to trash Republicans. 

Had it not been for the disastrous rollout of the Obamacare, the shutdown would have had a far greater political effect, just as the one on 1995 did to Newt and the GOP.

Cruz showed that he was willing to throw the rest of the Republican Congress under the bus for his own ends.  Here he is a freshman senator, and he basically talked the rump Freedom Caucus in the House into shutting down the government.  Even when he knew he would lose.  Why pull such a ridiculous stunt?

Because he turned out to the hero of the far right.  Cruz had a helluva lot more support in the primaries than had he not shutdown the government.  That was his signature achievement and, even then, he was eyeing a run for the White House. 

I would have voted for him for president because he's not nuts but I don't like him.  His personal style is oily and sanctimonious and he doesn't connect with people easily.

W doesn't like him, and W likes everybody.

So you do have something in common with the Trumpkins after all.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 12:53:23 am »

All trump has to do to get my vote is to get Ted's endorsement.

Politics makes strange bedfellows... and I am sure Ted is enjoying the process of educating Little Donald about politics.  :smokin:

All Cruz has to do to lose mine is support Trump. I don't tolerate sellouts and thats what his backing the liberal would be.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 12:58:18 am »
All Cruz has to do to lose mine is support Trump. I don't tolerate sellouts and thats what his backing the liberal would be.

Ok. If You say so.... ;).  Meh.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:38 am »
"'Appreciate @realDonaldTrump’s support of our efforts to keep the internet free," Cruz tweeted on Wednesday afternoon.'"

What was he going to say - "I wish Trump had not wanted to keep the internet free"??
Some are acting like Cruz is ready to carry Trump into the White House.

He could have said nothing, like he's done for the last two months. No, this is another calculated move by Cruz to move toward Trump.  You watch.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:53 am »
Cruz is out for Cruz.  That's what I don't like about him.  He's as transparent a politician as there is. 

That government shutdown did it for me with Cruz.  He knew he would lose it, yet went for it anyway to benefit himself. 

Before you conclude that Cruz has your best interests at heart, first check how it benefits him.

Cruz is out for the country and constitutional government.  He has not endorsed Trump at all...he merely showed appreciation for his stand on an issue Cruz cares about.

I don't understand the mindset of people who are so cynical and nasty about the best man in politics today.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 01:02:06 am »
So you do have something in common with the Trumpkins after all.

Cuz I don't like Cruz?  Yes, I don't like Cruz.

What I don't have in common with the Trumpkins is that I would vote for Cruz. I would never vote for Trump.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 01:06:53 am »
Yes he is.

And the point you made should not be overlooked - what really infuriates me is when the more enthusiastic supporters of a particular candidate (who happens to be of questionable character) browbeat everyone else into 'jumping on board' without giving a thought to maybe applying a little pressure to said candidate, before the election when there is leverage to do so, to at least give lip service to your issues.

They just want you to hand over your vote over to him without so much as even a glance in your direction. Stupid and in violation of the cardinal rule of negotiations.

Right, went over to TOS earlier.. and sure enough, on the thread which mirrors this.... the trumpansies again put my vote on the sideline.  Could only wade through a few of the replies.

Still if Ted were to endorse.. I would say trump met certain... conditions.

Now even IF Ted endorsed... I would probably read a tread on TOS, and the trumpansies would ensure I did not vote trump.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 01:07:43 am »
Cuz I don't like Cruz?  Yes, I don't like Cruz.

What I don't have in common with the Trumpkins is that I would vote for Cruz. I would never vote for Trump.

As is your right.

Frederick Douglass

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 01:11:44 am »
Cruz is out for the country and constitutional government.  He has not endorsed Trump at all...he merely showed appreciation for his stand on an issue Cruz cares about.

I don't understand the mindset of people who are so cynical and nasty about the best man in politics today.

Why would Cruz say anything when he's kept his mouth shut for two months?   Does he really despise Trump and think he's a sociopath, as he said when he lost Indiana on May 3 and quit?
When he passionately defended his father and his wife from the attacks Trump made on them? 

Or is this another calculated move looking to quell whatever anxiety Texas Trumpkins have about him?  Has he completely forgotten what he said on May 3?

Anyway, I'm done with this.  I knew I'd catch hell, but that's fine.  Ted sucked up to Cruz for six months last year when the principled position was Jeb's:  point out  what a cretin Trump was.  Cruz would have gained a huge amount of respect from Republicans of all stripes.  But, no, Ted said he admired Trump. Why?  Because he wanted Trump's voters.

Sickening.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:13:33 am by sinkspur »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:26 am »
Ok. If You say so.... ;).  Meh.

Well I don't know what else to call actually giving support to a man whose politics opposes your own, giving support to a man who likened your father to a presedential assassin and mocked your wife's looks. If you have a more accurate word than 'sellout', I'll be glad to consider using it. But it meets the definition fully so theres little point.

Hopefully Ted does not sell out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:13:04 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 01:13:21 am »
I don't see this as an endorsement by Cruz; nor did I understand Cruz to mean when he said to vote your conscience as indicating not to vote for Trump.  It was Trump, his family and all their minions that made that assumption.  I would be flabbergasted if Cruz were to endorse Trump ... IMHO an endorsement is not on the horizon unless Trump publicly apologizes to Cruz and I think that Trump is well aware of that. Trump has also stated that he is going to make sure that Cruz loses his Senate seat.  So why would Cruz endorse him? I think he would publicly accept the apology, but unless Cruz thought that Trump would do something positive for this country, I just don't see him endorsing him.

Regardless of Cruz's decision, I will continue to support him. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 01:15:33 am »
Right, went over to TOS earlier.. and sure enough, on the thread which mirrors this.... the trumpansies again put my vote on the sideline.  Could only wade through a few of the replies.

Still if Ted were to endorse.. I would say trump met certain... conditions.

Now even IF Ted endorsed... I would probably read a tread on TOS, and the trumpansies would ensure I did not vote trump.

That really baffles me, they seem to go out of their way to to be obnoxious dolts and seem to think that helps their candidate :pondering:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 01:20:15 am »

:amen:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 01:23:57 am »
I don't see this as an endorsement by Cruz; nor did I understand Cruz to mean when he said to vote your conscience as indicating not to vote for Trump.  It was Trump, his family and all their minions that made that assumption.  I would be flabbergasted if Cruz were to endorse Trump ... IMHO an endorsement is not on the horizon unless Trump publicly apologizes to Cruz and I think that Trump is well aware of that. Trump has also stated that he is going to make sure that Cruz loses his Senate seat.  So why would Cruz endorse him? I think he would publicly accept the apology, but unless Cruz thought that Trump would do something positive for this country, I just don't see him endorsing him.

Regardless of Cruz's decision, I will continue to support him.

Agree completely.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 01:25:01 am »
That really baffles me, they seem to go out of their way to to be obnoxious dolts and seem to think that helps their candidate :pondering:

They are liberals. There's nothing more to understand. They meet every criteria.

Lie? Check
Promote violence? Check
Have plantation mentality? Check
Support liberal policies? Check.
Support a liberal candidate?Check.

Nothing hard to understand at all.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 01:28:47 am »
Agree completely.

If Mighty Casey strikes out when the chips are down, there's little reason to renew his player contract. Ted either is a conservative and he proves it by standing on principle, which is why we all love/respect him, or he isn't and backs a liberal in complete contradiction. AKA, selling out everything he stands for.

I hope he stands strong.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 01:34:41 am »

Cruz showed that he was willing to throw the rest of the Republican Congress under the bus for his own ends.  Here he is a freshman senator, and he basically talked the rump Freedom Caucus in the House into shutting down the government.  Even when he knew he would lose.  Why pull such a ridiculous stunt?

Because he turned out to the hero of the far right. 

His personal style is oily and sanctimonious and he doesn't connect with people easily.

Thanks @sinkspur, I appreciate you taking heat from pro-Cruzers (like me) in order to share your thinking.

It seems to me that Cruz is the only guy who actually tried to do anything to stop Obamacare, even though his filibuster was doomed to fail.  A lot of us down here in Texas were cheering him on, so whether he was calculating about it or not he was doing what we elected him to do.  It would have suited me had the entire FedGov stayed shut down until the following election.  My bellicosity aside, do you think Cruz should have joined the rest of the Senate Republicans in doing nothing?  It seems to me that he used the only tool he had, and at least gave some of us a voice.

You make a fair point that the rollout disaster certainly made Obama and the Democrats look bad, which had to have helped the Republicans take the senate in the following mid-term election.

You're certainly right that many people dislike his manner.  Even I get tired of the artificial cadence of his speaking.  But calculated or not, artificial-seeming or not, he's one of the few who says what I want said and I think he's sincere about it, and as long as he continues he's got my vote.

Thanks again sink.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:35:52 am by HoustonSam »
James 1:20

Silver Pines

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:03 am »
I don't know about this.  I hope Ted won't endorse Trump, and I tend to think he won't.  He let loose on Donald and rained hell down on him the day of the Indiana primary...some very harsh truths were spoken which just can't be taken back.

One of Cruz's spokespeople said nothing has changed, but I take that with a grain of salt.  Politicians are famous for denying they're going to do something right before they do it.  And Jeff Roe really went out on a limb if there's no basis to any of what he said.

Well, I hope Cruz will stand strong and refuse to endorse.  I think he's the best we have.  I don't mind some calculation on his part...he isn't a babe in the woods, after all, and if he didn't have ambitions, he wouldn't be a Senator in the first place.  But the man has a solid record of keeping his word and standing up for what's right.  But if he endorses Trump, I'll be done with him.

geronl

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:50 am »
A call to the DC Senate said this rumor is untrue

Offline Fantom

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:25 am »
Well I don't know what else to call actually giving support to a man whose politics opposes your own, giving support to a man who likened your father to a presedential assassin and mocked your wife's looks. If you have a more accurate word than 'sellout', I'll be glad to consider using it. But it meets the definition fully so theres little point.

Hopefully Ted does not sell out.

So that what, makes it you , me, another half dozen or so, Romney and Bush 51? You do know how the 300 ended right? By all means ..vote your conscience. I certainly hold no ill will for you to do so. As will I... vote my conscience. Right now that means I will leave the top of the ticket vacant.

I harbor no Illusions of what trump is. In my book he is a petty rich kid with no moral foundation other than "skrew the other guy".

Sometimes the battle field... and politics is war without bloodshed(usually), one can wonder with the trail of death from the Clintons...but I digress. Sometimes the battle field...requires allying with an enemy...Stalin to defeat Hitler is just such a case in point.

I see positives for limited government Conservatives with a Hillary win and also with a trump win. The real question is which is better.  A lot depends on what trump says and does between the convention and Nov 8.. Just like Ted said at convention... I will watch and see.. like many millions more.

To come to the conclusion.. after watching what transpires. And s'porting a flawed..enemy? To greater gain is not being a sellout.

It is being a realist.

Frederick Douglass

geronl

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 01:37:02 am »
And Jeff Roe really went out on a limb if there's no basis to any of what he said.

Not really. Lying has become acceptable and required among Trump supporters

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:21 am »
So that what, makes it you , me, another half dozen or so, Romney and Bush 51? You do know how the 300 ended right? By all means ..vote your conscience. I certainly hold no ill will for you to do so. As will I... vote my conscience. Right now that means I will leave the top of the ticket vacant.

I harbor no Illusions of what trump is. In my book he is a petty rich kid with no moral foundation other than "skrew the other guy".

Sometimes the battle field... and politics is war without bloodshed(usually), one can wonder with the trail of death from the Clintons...but I digress. Sometimes the battle field...requires allying with an enemy...Stalin to defeat Hitler is just such a case in point.

I see positives for limited government Conservatives with a Hillary win and also with a trump win. The real question is which is better.  A lot depends on what trump says and does between the convention and Nov 8.. Just like Ted said at convention... I will watch and see.. like many millions more.

To come to the conclusion.. after watching what transpires. And s'porting a flawed..enemy? To greater gain is not being a sellout.

It is being a realist.

300 ended with a man of integrity going down in history as one. Being right is more important than winning. Every. Single. Time.  All "Realism" did was elect a house and senate filled with liberal Republicans that lied to your face, got elected and enacted the full Obama agenda. With funding.

Silver Pines

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 01:42:15 am »
Not really. Lying has become acceptable and required among Trump supporters

@geronl

Jeff Roe was Cruz's campaign manager.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 01:57:26 am »
300 ended with a man of integrity going down in history as one. Being right is more important than winning. Every. Single. Time.  All "Realism" did was elect a house and senate filled with liberal Republicans that lied to your face, got elected and enacted the full Obama agenda. With funding.

Yet down they went and their country was plundered raped and burnt to the ground... but hey, made a good show of it.

I too am pissed at the gope, and fear trump would just validate them, reach across the isle... and make socialist USA come true. Maybe with a Hillary election that same gope will find a spine and actually oppose...snicker. Then in 2018 we can elect 60 some plus of them and impose gope will on Hillary.

Or maybe we elect trump and he does some of what he says...snicker maybe at least better SCOTUS picks, deregulation, tax cuts, stoping the muslim/mexican invasion.  Maybe we get that.

If Ted were to believe that trump can be used for such. That I will believe. And limited government weathers a trump presidency.

Who knows...maybe we are wrong.

Frederick Douglass