Author Topic: (National Review) Never NeverTrump (VDH)  (Read 1060 times)

Offline corbe

(National Review) Never NeverTrump (VDH)
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:35 pm »
by Victor Davis Hanson September 20, 2016 4:00 AM @vdhanson

The Republican dilemma Any Republican has a difficult pathway to the presidency. On the electoral map, expanding blue blobs in coastal and big-city America swamp the conservative geographical sea of red. Big-electoral-vote states such as California, Illinois, New York, and New Jersey are utterly lost before the campaign even begins. The media have devolved into a weird Ministry of Truth. News seems defined now as what information is necessary to release to arrive at correct views.

<snip>
 Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440198/never-nevertrump-not-voting-trump-republican-suicide
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: (National Review) Never NeverTrump (VDH)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:54:13 pm »
If not voting for Trump is GOP suicide… I'm happy to watch their party hit the water after the leap they took off the Bridge of enabling they straddled for Obama and the Democrats.

They chose suicide the moment they got behind a lifelong liberal NY Democrat as their party's standard bearer.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »
   I don't understand why Victor ended this enlightenment with this:

It may be discomforting for some conservatives to vote for the Republican party’s duly nominated candidate, but as this Manichean two-person race ends, it is now becoming suicidal not to.

He lives in California, his vote for the orange one will matter as much as a Hillary vote in Texas -NADA.

Unless of course the Donald screws up so bad Texas becomes 'in play'
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »
This is a disappointing offering from VDH.

Boiled down, he seems to be saying that Trump is no more unfit for the presidency than Obama or Clinton.... but that's not much of an endorsement.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:07:35 pm »
This is a disappointing offering from VDH.

Boiled down, he seems to be saying that Trump is no more unfit for the presidency than Obama or Clinton.... but that's not much of an endorsement.

My thoughts as well.  I usually like VDH's work but I found this one far short of his usual standard.
James 1:20

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:11:19 pm »
My thoughts as well.  I usually like VDH's work but I found this one far short of his usual standard.

Listened to about 5 minutes of Rush on this in the car. Had to turn it off. My BS meter went through the sunroof...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:40 pm »
Listened to about 5 minutes of Rush on this in the car. Had to turn it off. My BS meter went through the sunroof...

I'm afraid Rush has hurt himself in this election cycle.  It will be a long, difficult road back for him to re-claim status as a principled voice for conservatism.
James 1:20

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:13:35 pm »
I'm afraid Rush has hurt himself in this election cycle.  It will be a long, difficult road back for him to re-claim status as a principled voice for conservatism.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I can stomach the Savage Weiner better than Rush. At least Weiner was always up front about his support.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:42:12 pm »
I never thought I would be saying this, but I can stomach the Savage Weiner better than Rush. At least Weiner was always up front about his support.

At least I was able to get into Savage's show (once). It was pretty funny, I had picked up my son at school, and I had the radio off. He paid no attention to me talking on the phone, though I rarely do that while driving. As soon as I ended the call, I turned the radio back on, and we heard the last 5-7 seconds due to the tape delay.

My commute to work is usually 35 minutes (+/-). The worst of it is listening to Mark Davis in the morning. Thankfully, there are 3 sports stations to listen to.

Rush started losing me when he married Marta, and his show became an infomercial for ties and scarves.

There is one sure way to get me to change the channel: come out of a five-plus minute commercial break, and start the segment with a pitch for Life Lock, or some other product.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:12:06 pm »

I'll never trust anything he ever says again given his abandonment and apostasy of the very things he supposedly championed in order to push a lifelong NY liberal Democrat on his audience.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775