Author Topic: Republican friendships shatter over Trump  (Read 39308 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republican friendships shatter over Trump
« on: September 19, 2016, 12:42:45 pm »
 By Jonathan Swan - 09/19/16 06:00 AM EDT

A few months ago, Matt Schlapp, the former White House political director under president George W. Bush, walked into a cocktail party and tried to join a conversation with Republican consultants he has known for years.

“The conversation quickly ended,” Schlapp, the chairman of the nation’s oldest conservative grassroots organization, told The Hill in a recent interview. “Everyone looked down at their expensive loafers.”

“I hadn’t had that happen to me in a professional setting before,” he added. “It’s one of those moments when you wonder, ‘hey, do I have something on my face?’”

Schlapp’s decision to support Donald Trump for president has cost him friends in Washington’s elite Republican circles. Invitations he would normally receive no longer arrive. The vibe he says he’s getting is: “You’re out of the club.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/296331-republican-friendships-shatter-over-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Republican friendships shatter over Trump
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:48:47 pm »
The vibe he says he’s getting is: “You’re out of the club.”

This is such a sad story it brought me to tears. These poor elitist beltway lizards are not getting invites to cocktail parties anymore? Where is the justice?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 01:04:16 pm »
This article is so one-sided that it almost makes me sympathetic to the Trump caucus. Almost.

Then I remember how the Trump caucus acts here and I can suspect why they're losing friends.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »
This article is so one-sided that it almost makes me sympathetic to the Trump caucus. Almost.

Then I remember how the Trump caucus acts here and I can suspect why they're losing friends.

Politics breaking friendships is hardly new.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:58 pm »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 01:08:39 pm »
"Never Romney, Never Trump", hmm, but maybe supporting a Senator whose accomplishments are minimal.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 01:15:21 pm »
One pays a price when one compromises on principle.

Political expediency is cowardice.  And political expediency in service of a man who doesn't represent a single thing Republicans have stood for is reprehensible.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 01:17:28 pm »

Any 'fallout' Trump supporters receive is a singular result of their candidate acting like a greasy richard.

The fact that many emulated him also is a factor.

If he'd campaigned like a decent human being the lunch invites would still be there.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »
"Never Romney, Never Trump", hmm, but maybe supporting a Senator whose accomplishments are minimal.

Given the fact that Ted's tenure in the Senate has been during a Democrat president, what should he have accomplished that would satisfy you?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 01:29:05 pm »
Given the fact that Ted's tenure in the Senate has been during a Democrat president, what should he have accomplished that would satisfy you?

Considering what passes for success in the senate these days, its hardly a good measuring stick.

However off the top of my head, Ted Cruz did cosponsor a bill with Chuck Schumer of all people that bars known terrorists from entering the USA as UN diplomats. And yes, Obama did sign it into law.

What Ted Cruz didn't do was rent NY property to Muammar Qadaffi and then provide multiple conflicting explanations when people became outraged about it.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:08 pm »

And not only a Democrat president, but Republican Senate leadership that was regularly, and deservedly, excoriated for its lack of principle and refusal effectively to resist Obama's agenda - *until* it became expedient to attack Cruz.  Then, suddenly, the only guy who was willing literally to stand up against Obamacare and use whatever power his office provided, is derided as "ineffective".

It is amazing that some in the pro-Trump camp continue to believe that maintaining a jihad against Cruz is worthwhile effort when Hillary is actually the opposing candidate.  Meanwhile Ted has continued his practice of speaking not a single word against the man who lied about him and insulted his family, in order to accomplish the thing that Trump himself should be doing - building party unity.
James 1:20

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 01:39:10 pm »

The point is how much better are the records of accomplishments are that the governors who have run, they've actually accomplished things and they have actually had to lead. It be Pence, Perry, Walker, Kasich and so on.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 01:39:53 pm »
And not only a Democrat president, but Republican Senate leadership that was regularly, and deservedly, excoriated for its lack of principle and refusal effectively to resist Obama's agenda - *until* it became expedient to attack Cruz.  Then, suddenly, the only guy who was willing literally to stand up against Obamacare and use whatever power his office provided, is derided as "ineffective".

This particular Trumpkin schizophrenia has had me scratching my head for months - is the congress a bunch of gutless valueless self-serving money grubbing poltroons or are they the world's most deliberative body effectively doing the good business of the people?

Your answer depends upon your personal feelings for Ted Cruz.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:40:30 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 01:42:53 pm »
I voted for Cruz in the primary, daily in polls for Cruz online and never for Trump in the primaries. But I'm not going to be a cult-follower of a Senator whose accomplishments are minimal compared to the Governors, so were Rubio's and Paul's, they are good men. I'm not going to be a cult-follower and at least, Rubio and Paul did not run dirty campaigns, Rubio and Paul did not appear at a rally with Trump, Rubio and Paul did not have an alliance in fact, with Trump.

No, but now, everything is different. We get it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:44:54 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 01:43:17 pm »

It is amazing that some in the pro-Trump camp continue to believe that maintaining a jihad against Cruz is worthwhile effort when Hillary is actually the opposing candidate.  Meanwhile Ted has continued his practice of speaking not a single word against the man who lied about him and insulted his family, in order to accomplish the thing that Trump himself should be doing - building party unity.

My congressman's freshman term was in Nancy Pelosi's house of representatives. Pelosi didn't allow freshman republican bills to come to the floor for votes. 2 years later the democrat ran against my congressman with the fact that he didn't sponsor or introduce any bills and just voted the party line.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 01:46:42 pm »
This particular Trumpkin schizophrenia has had me scratching my head for months - is the congress a bunch of gutless valueless self-serving money grubbing poltroons or are they the world's most deliberative body effectively doing the good business of the people?

Your answer depends upon your personal feelings for Ted Cruz.

And those personal feelings for Ted Cruz seem to depend, in turn, on whether or not one supports Trump.

I long identified myself with the Republicans because I felt that they managed a more principle-centered approach to politics, and *usually* advocated principles I believed.  Unfortunately that is no longer the case.  The anti-Trump camp here argues frequently that there is essentially no difference between Trump and Hillary; the pro-Trump camp demonstrates that there is essentially no longer any difference between Republicans and Democrats, even as they major in their only remaining argument - "he's not Hillary."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

There is something about having to cover your drink to keep the flying spittle out that disinclines one toward inviting that person next time...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 01:52:18 pm »

No problem being buddy, buddy before.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 01:53:48 pm »
I voted for Cruz in the primary, daily in polls for Cruz online and never for Trump in the primaries. But I'm not going to be a cult-follower of a Senator whose accomplishments are minimal compared to the Governors, so were Rubio's and Paul's, they are good men. I'm not going to be a cult-follower and at least, Rubio and Paul did not run dirty campaigns, Rubio and Paul did not appear at a rally with Trump, Rubio and Paul did not have an alliance in fact, with Trump.

As opposed to the "cult followers" of Trump, a man whose prevarications and inconsistencies in his positions are well documented?

I get it...everything is different.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 01:54:53 pm »
I wish Schlaap would have named names, but it seems he's too much of a gentleman.

The notion that the chairman of the nations oldest conservative grassroots organization needs validation on the DC cocktail circuit is absurd.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »

Its odd, but when you say 'I supported that dirty-campaigning, cheating, ineffective senator Ted Cruz in the primary' somehow I remain unconvinced.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 01:57:40 pm »

So you voted for and supported a man who had no accomplishments and who ran a dirty campaign, and now you argue that those are reasons to denigrate him, while supporting another man about whom the same arguments could be made in much more detail?  Do you recognize how dissonant your cognition seems to many of us, and how little intellectual credibility you have?

You would be far better off simply supporting Trump, rather than continuing your anti-Cruz vendetta.  If you truly believe that Trump is better for the country than Hillary and you want to support him, more power to you.  There are others on this board who make that argument in a compelling manner without believing they need to run down a man who is no longer even in the race.  If the anti-Trump camp discourages you then counter with a credible pro-Trump position.  Attacking Cruz does nothing for your position and simply marginalizes you, and Trump, even further among those who don't support him.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 02:01:52 pm »
The point is how much better are the records of accomplishments are that the governors who have run, they've actually accomplished things and they have actually had to lead. It be Pence, Perry, Walker, Kasich and so on.
Those governors have 100% of the power of their office. A senator has 1% of the power of the US Senate. What has Trump accomplished?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »

No problem being buddy, buddy before.
Before DT started calling him a liar while lying about him, attacking his integrity, his marriage, his wife, his father? That just might have put a damper on any camaraderie, ya think?

C S Lewis

Offline Longmire

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 02:07:11 pm »
Its odd, but when you say 'I supported that dirty-campaigning, cheating, ineffective senator Ted Cruz in the primary' somehow I remain unconvinced.

@skeeter What's odd is that the word "cheating" doesn't appear in the comment you quoted, but you inserted it anyway.

Freudian slip?