Author Topic: The Latest: Trump calls former Pentagon chief a 'clown'  (Read 1518 times)

Offline sinkspur

The Latest: Trump calls former Pentagon chief a 'clown'
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:44:42 am »
https://apnews.com/f970225a70e74207816c27f76729b90a

The Latest: Trump calls former Pentagon chief a 'clown'

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the 2016 presidential campaign
10:05 p.m.

Donald Trump is hitting back at the former defense secretary who called him "beyond repair" when it comes to national security.

Robert Gates served under presidents of both parties. He wrote in the Wall Street Journal on Saturday that Trump is "stubbornly uninformed" about the world.

Trump first swiped back on Twitter, then went further at an evening rally in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:46:38 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: The Latest: Trump calls former Pentagon chief a 'clown'
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:07 am »
Bleh. Bob Gates is a clown.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:45 am »
Trump: "we had a clown today, an absolute clown, Robert Gates...he's a nasty guy, probably has a problem we don't know about"

Robert Gates has been in public service for nearly 50 years.

Trump:  0.

The old Trump is back.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:52:05 am »
Eliot A Cohen ‏@EliotACohen  15m15 minutes ago
Trump:: this ignoramus who compares avoiding VD to combat, disparages POW's, avoided VN draft, denounces generals & Gates...fit to be CINC?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:56:01 am »
Eliot A Cohen ‏@EliotACohen  15m15 minutes ago
Trump:: this ignoramus who compares avoiding VD to combat, disparages POW's, avoided VN draft, denounces generals & Gates...fit to be CINC?

That's fine. Donny is an ass, but can you tell me what is so great about Bob? As far as I see he is just another in a long line of govt' suck asses.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:01:15 am »
That's fine. Donny is an ass, but can you tell me what is so great about Bob? As far as I see he is just another in a long line of govt' suck asses.

Trump doesn't know anything about Gates.  He's just shooting off his shotgun mouth.   You can not like Gates, but Trump is a dick.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:06:53 am »
Trump doesn't know anything about Gates.  He's just shooting off his shotgun mouth.   You can not like Gates, but Trump is a dick.

Agreed. Carry on.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:50:45 am »
Trump has been a clown for most of his life, he knows a clown when he sees one (like every time he looks in a mirror)

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:08:14 am »

He was better than Rumsfeld, but that's like saying that moldy bread is better than anthrax.

In essence, he was a caretaker that didn't do too much.  Which was fine with me.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 04:09:55 am »

Gates has done a great job bringing gays into the Boy Scouts.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 04:39:24 am »
I make no claim to expertise in matters concerning Pentagon chiefs.  But my gut says Rumsfeld was the better man between the two.  Gates is a politician first, and a liberal one.  Not so much for Rumsfeld, which in my opinion is good.  Again, this is not my best subject.

That said, the clown of the three mentioned is Trump.  Trump Trump Trump.  That I do know about because I've been watching him display exactly that for over a year now.

So, Gates could be fairly called a liberal doofus, but a clown?  Not really.

Besides, I can never respect Gates because of what he did to the Boy Scouts.  Never.

Rumsfeld tried to change the organization of the military and how it operated in the middle of a war.  He never tried to solicit Congress for the necessary manpower to win in our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, instead trying to squeeze more out of our military.  The phrase "Do more with less" was *very* common during his tenure.

At least with Gates, he recognized some limits to the "Do more with less" mentality.  It became a "Get less... do less.  Prioritize the most important and forget about the rest until manpower/funding improves".

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 05:59:27 am »
Bleh. Bob Gates is a clown.

Gates dutifully carried out whatever agenda the liberals handed him regardless of if that Liberal was an R or a D. He did so much damage to the military it may never recover. Had he any integrity he'd never have served under Obama to begin with. Same goes for anyone officer rank or above. ESPECIALLY Pentagon level brass. They all stood down when it was time to stand up, shirked their sworn oaths and helped advance leftist agendas.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 06:16:37 am »
Trump has been a clown for most of his life, he knows a clown when he sees one (like every time he looks in a mirror)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:17:53 am by Vulcan »

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 10:24:22 am »
Gates dutifully carried out whatever agenda the liberals handed him regardless of if that Liberal was an R or a D. He did so much damage to the military it may never recover. Had he any integrity he'd never have served under Obama to begin with. Same goes for anyone officer rank or above. ESPECIALLY Pentagon level brass. They all stood down when it was time to stand up, shirked their sworn oaths and helped advance leftist agendas.

I don't know enough about Gates to have an opinion but "Trump is "stubbornly uninformed" about the world." is a legitimate criticism.  It has been often noted on this forum, Trump seems allergic to the kind of in-depth study he needs in order to be president. 

But Trump's response: "we had a clown today, an absolute clown, Robert Gates...he's a nasty guy, probably has a problem we don't know about" is so unpresidential, juvenile and automatic.  He calls Gates a name like some grade schooler.  He implies there is something wrong with Gates.  There is no reasoned response here.  This is the lizard brain automatically spitting venom because someone dared to criticize.  Think about it.  To set off chaos in the US, all some foreign dignitary would have to do is reference President Trump's short fingers.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.