Author Topic: Debate is Trump's big opportunity  (Read 2918 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Debate is Trump's big opportunity
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:32:22 pm »
September 17, 2016, 11:48 am
Debate is Trump's big opportunity

By Niall Stanage

On Monday, the most crucial political event between now and Election Day — the first presidential debate — will be only a week away.

The first clash between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump is expected to shatter ratings records. Some experts are suggesting that 100 million people could watch the encounter, which will take place at Hofstra University, just outside New York City. Debates more usually attract between 60 and 70 million viewers.

Democratic strategist Robert Shrum, who has worked at a high level on several presidential campaigns, said he expects the first debate to be the biggest TV event “since the moon landing.”

For the candidates, the stakes will be as enormous as the audience.

Clinton has seen her once-comfortable lead in opinion polls almost entirely eroded. The Democrat’s numbers have declined after a near-collapse, due to pneumonia, at a Sept. 11 commemoration in Manhattan.

Trump, meanwhile, still trails in several key battleground states and polls show that a large swath of the population harbors grave doubts about his ability to serve as commander in chief.

That means that each candidate faces quite different challenges.

Shrum suggested that, for Clinton, one big question would be whether she could warm up her image with voters.

“The opportunity for her is to let people see her as she is,” he said. “She can be a very appealing person, but at times that hasn’t come across. The work that was done at the convention sort of got lost in the month of August because of the deluge of Trump stories.”

For Trump, the issue is more about trying to persuade viewers that he is an acceptable choice as president. Emerging from the encounter unscathed would “be a victory, a massive victory,” according to GOP strategist Ford O’Connell. “He doesn’t necessarily have to be better than Hillary, he just has to be plausible as a commander-in-chief.”

O’Connell’s analysis points to something on which experts of all political persuasions agree: Expectations will be lower for Trump than they are for Clinton.

The Manhattan real estate magnate has never run for political office before and is often portrayed by his critics as a buffoon. Clinton, by contrast, has been at the center of public life for a quarter century. She has two Senate races as well as her previous run for the presidency in 2008 under her belt, as well as her years as first lady and secretary of State.

The low expectations could be useful for Trump, allowing him to paint anything other than an outright disaster as a victory. 

During the Republican primary process, aides to Trump’s more polished rivals expected that he would implode, sooner or later, on the debate stage. In fact, he never seriously faltered despite his propensity for deriding opponents with nicknames, getting into verbal tussles and, on one occasion, defending the size of his genitalia against innuendoes from a rival, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. 

Trump also displayed different demeanors at different times of the Republican primary debate season — something that could make Clinton’s preparations for their three debates more complicated. Shrum said she would have to rehearse for “Mild Trump, Wild Trump — or some combination of the two, which I think is the most likely.” 

After the first clash on Sep. 26, the two other debates are set for St. Louis on Oct. 9 and Las Vegas on Oct. 19.

Trump has frequently been a subject of media derision with his bombastic performances, but O’Connell noted that the importance of that criticism could be exaggerated.

“It’s about communicating with the audience,” he said. “Sometimes he may say some things that sound jarring to reporters and policy wonks, and to the audience they may not. That’s one of the things that is important in judging debates — you have to keep an eye on the audience.”

Another concern for the candidates is that all the preparation in the world can be undone by an unexpected development.

In 2012, GOP nominee Mitt Romney was knocked off his stride during a debate with President Obama when moderator Candy Crowley asserted that he had mischaracterized Obama's response to the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya. In 2000, Vice President Al Gore's sighing during his first debate with then-Gov. George W. Bush was the focus of discussion in the days that followed.

Clinton and Trump can perhaps draw some comfort from the fact that the last momentous gaffe in a presidential debate came a generation ago, when then-President Gerald Ford made the head-scratching assertion in 1976 that "there is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe."

On the upside, it is not all that difficult for campaigns to prepare memorable lines to parry expected attacks from either opponents or moderators. A classic example came in 1984, when President Ronald Reagan artfully deflected concerns about his age with his statement that "I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." His Democratic opponent, Walter Mondale, was 56 at the time and a former vice president.

Those are the kinds of moments that Shrum believes matter much more to debate success than filling the candidate's brain with policy minutia.

Candidates, he said, "cram so much into their head that they really aren't prepared to treat the debate as an exercise in narrative. But you have to."

Clinton and Trump will also know as they take the stage that first impressions matter. The first debate typically attracts the biggest audience and sets the tone for much of what follows.

Aaron Kall, a debate coach at the University of Michigan and the editor of a new academic study of the GOP debates during this election cycle, put it simply: "The first one is always the most important, in terms of risk and reward."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/296427-debate-is-trumps-big-opportunity
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline unknown

Re: Debate is Trump's big opportunity
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 04:06:49 am »

This is gonna be interesting.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Longmire

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:45:35 pm »
Clinton will score some debate points but Trump will crush her bigly.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:05:22 pm »
Use a radio jammer to cut hillary's live feed and she'll perform like the lead singer for the Spazmodics.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:24:18 pm »
I sure hope someone here live-blogs it so I don't feel any need to watch it.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 07:38:49 pm »
I have to work until 9:30 so will have to tape it and catch up after that.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 08:20:42 pm »
I have to work until 9:30 so will have to tape it and catch up after that.

Don't know how much catching up there can be with those two.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:44 pm »
Hillary, while thoroughly dishonest and corrupt, is well-rehearsed.

By contrast, Trump is an ill-prepared, uninformed clown. 

The best he can hope for is for her to collapse or have some medical episode similar to 911.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:34:54 pm »
Use a radio jammer to cut hillary's live feed and she'll perform like the lead singer for the Spazmodics.

The Trump camp should demand she be inspected for listening devices every time she takes the stage.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 09:05:31 pm »
The Trump camp should demand she be inspected for listening devices every time she takes the stage.

The candidates can have them for the debates. But not the moderators.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 12:00:55 am »
I'm still not so sure that we are going to actually see a debate between the two.  I think there is a possibility that the stress of the debate will take its toll on Hillary's health and she may cancel or Trump may also come up with an excuse as to why he can't debate. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 12:08:17 am »
Trump doesn't stand a chance...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:11:37 am »
I sure hope someone here live-blogs it so I don't feel any need to watch it.

Why would you wish that torture on someone you Sadist.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 12:14:36 am »
Clinton will score some debate points but Trump will crush her bigly.

If he doesn't piss in his pants on stage, the media will declare him the winner.  He's the most ill-prepared candidate for president this country has ever had.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 12:28:27 am »

@bigheadfred

Nope,they are not going to do that. Wouldn't even do it if they could,and they can't because it would also jam the signals to the SS bodyguard details,local PD's,local news talking heads,etc,etc,etc.

What they SHOULD do,but once again they won't, is to have several someone's from the RNC check Bubbette's ears and her entire body including clothing and shoes for any receivers immediately before she goes on stage,and several someone's from the DNC do the same with Trump. Not just party flunkies,but people who have a personal stake (cabinet appointments,judicial appointments,senior Civil Service appointments,etc,etc,etc) in "their" candidate being elected.

Not going to happen though because neither camp will ever admit there is even a possibility of cheating because then THEY could be accused of it themselves.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 12:35:19 am »
Hillary, while thoroughly dishonest and corrupt, is well-rehearsed.

By contrast, Trump is an ill-prepared, uninformed clown. 

The best he can hope for is for her to collapse or have some medical episode similar to 911.

@Vulcan

The thing is a "packaged and prepped politician" like Bubbette! gets easily flustered any time they have to go "off programming". IF Trump is a serious candidate,and that is VERY debatable,his style of shooting from the hip and coming out of nowhere verbally could easily get her flustered,and who knows how batshit crazy she would get or what she might say? She has spent her whole life performing prepared sketches in controlled environments where no surprises are allowed,so she might literally stroke out.  Or maybe even just start growling and chewing on his leg? Which is the big reason I will be watching it. I'd really hate to miss something like that.

Remember how first appearance on the David Letterman Show the first time she ran for President? Weasel Boy had been trying to get her to come on for months,and finally she agreed. Letterman later admitted her staff had written all the questions he was allowed to ask her,and they even wrote the Top Ten list he read.

MY best guess is The Donald is going to be as quiet as a house mouse. This is his chance to pull in the big bucks,tax exemptions,and government contracts by allowing her to look good.

Then again,he IS a bleeping loon that thinks the sun comes up in the morning just to please him,so WTH knows what he will do or say? His ego could easily come out to play,and he could destroy her. Or he could just babble more nonsense using the best words. Either is possible. Hell,with him,BOTH are possible.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:38:13 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39:22 am »
I'm still not so sure that we are going to actually see a debate between the two.  I think there is a possibility that the stress of the debate will take its toll on Hillary's health and she may cancel or Trump may also come up with an excuse as to why he can't debate.

@libertybele

Neither would surprise me.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 12:40:31 am »
@bigheadfred

Nope,they are not going to do that. Wouldn't even do it if they could,and they can't because it would also jam the signals to the SS bodyguard details,local PD's,local news talking heads,etc,etc,etc.

What they SHOULD do,but once again they won't, is to have several someone's from the RNC check Bubbette's ears and her entire body including clothing and shoes for any receivers immediately before she goes on stage,and several someone's from the DNC do the same with Trump. Not just party flunkies,but people who have a personal stake (cabinet appointments,judicial appointments,senior Civil Service appointments,etc,etc,etc) in "their" candidate being elected.

Not going to happen though because neither camp will ever admit there is even a possibility of cheating because then THEY could be accused of it themselves.

There will be a media blackout at her first blackout anyways. I hope Trump chews on her cankles.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:37 am »
For Trump to do well, he must not come across as smug or scattered, he cannot be condescending, and must appear informed and in command of the issues.

In other words, Trump can't be Trump.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 12:50:02 am »

So, will you be watching and blogging it, Frank?

:laugh:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 12:53:01 am »
So, will you be watching and blogging it, Frank?

:laugh:

Yes Mistress.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 12:54:43 am »
I have no political hopes for this sorry debate.  It's more of a sporting event.  I do predict Hillary will win mainly because Trump will reveal he knows nothing from time to time when he gets off his memorized speeches, AND MOST SIGNIFICANT, he will lose his cool at least once.

IF they do actually debate, Hillary is going to be under a tremendous amount of stress and all eyes will be watching her for any signs of illness or episodes. I agree, IF she can pull it off, she will win on speaking intelligently (even though she will lie)  vs. Trump who just makes stuff up as he goes along.  I am still of the opinion that he was never in this to actually win.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 12:59:20 am »
Yes Mistress.

Tease me. Please me. Whip me.    ....     

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 01:02:50 am »
Trump should be nervous. Frankly he has nowhere to go but down. The kind of voters he needs to win over aren't going to come over by him "being Donald".

Offline Idiot

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 01:12:05 am »

There is not enough money in the world to get me to watch that freak show.