Author Topic: After Reagan Comes Trump?  (Read 495 times)

Offline unknown

After Reagan Comes Trump?
« on: September 15, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »

After Reagan Comes Trump?

http://townhall.com/columnists/emmetttyrrell/2016/09/15/after-reagan-comes-trump-n2218171

Emmett Tyrrell
Sep 15, 2016

Norman Podhoretz, the former longtime editor of Commentary Magazine, is no longer an Inadvertent Conservative for Hillary, or ICH. He is voting for Donald Trump for president. The prospect of Clinton in the White House is too grisly for Podhoretz. It probably also is for his wife, Midge Decter, the gifted essayist. Both are reasonable neoconservatives, which is to say erstwhile liberals who moved over to conservatism sometime in the 1970s. I have known them for years.

In the late 1970s they made a similar calculation. They were two of only four neoconservatives to attend a dinner I held for the Republican candidate for president. That would be Ronald Reagan. (For those millennials in my audience, Reagan was elected president in 1980, and he did pretty well for a guy over 30.) Other neocons would not attend the dinner. Even Irving Kristol would not attend. He found Reagan "vulgar." As I recall, the dinner was a great success. Reagan had mastered eating with a knife and a fork, and he could tell a pretty good story. He even listened attentively to my guests. Doubtless Trump would do equally well today, but it apparently will not happen this year. The rest of the neocons have calculated that he is at one with Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini. They have a sense of history, though at times it is a bit melodramatic.

{.. snip ..}

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Suppressed

Re: After Reagan Comes Trump?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:44:46 pm »
Now it is up to all of us to cast a vote that will be meaningful, or cast a vote that will be onanistic.

Sorry, Bob, but the math is against you.  Each individual vote has little meaning.

But a vote for a third-party candidate is far more powerful than one for one of the NY libs.  You raise the vote count of that third-party candidate a greater percentage, and it sends a message that you don't want any of the libs (Trump, Clinton, Stein, Johnson).

No matter how much you rail, I won't join you and vote for Onan the Vulgarian.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »
Usually like Tyrell's stuff.

But this Reagan = Trump stuff completely blow the credibility of anyone claiming its an apt comparison. Its childish. There's just way too much evidence that the two are worlds apart ideologically.

Go ahead an support Trump. But stop with these silly pretenses.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »
And after Holy matrimony comes homosexual marriage...

And after Christianity comes … Chrislam…

That Tyrell says that we do not need any more congenital liars in the White House, and insists we all vote for a guy who says that Ted Cruz' father was an accessory to JFK's assassination - is pretty delusional.

But thus are the fruits of those whose principles have no anchors and are carried by every single current that comes along.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775