Author Topic: Donald Trump Jr.: If People Saw My Dad’s Tax Returns, It Would Hurt Him Politically  (Read 1471 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/09/trumps-son-my-dads-tax-returns-are-politically-damaging.html?mid=twitter-share-di

Donald Trump Jr.: If People Saw My Dad’s Tax Returns, It Would Hurt Him Politically

By Eric Levitz

Donald Trump is the first candidate in four decades to withhold his tax returns from public inspection. The Republican nominee’s official reason for breaking with this precedent is that he is currently under audit by the IRS. Which is a lie: People are free to share their own tax information, whether or not they are under audit, as the IRS reminded Trump back in February.

But on Wednesday night, the Trump campaign finally offered the American people some transparency — not about his financial history, but about his motives for withholding it.

In an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Donald Trump Jr. explained that his father will not release his taxes “because he’s got a 12,000-page tax return that would create … financial auditors out of every person in the country asking questions that would detract from (his father’s) main message.”

If Trump revealed the truth about his finances, people might ask questions that would “detract” from his message. Which is to say: If people knew more about the Republican nominee’s finances, it would hurt him politically.

On Thursday morning, Trump himself suggested that he would take a similar policy toward disclosing his medical records.

“I did every test. I did it last week, and the samples all came back and I guess I wouldn’t be talking to you right now if they were bad,” Trump said. “If they were bad, I would say let’s sort of skip this, right?”

If Trump’s medical records were bad, he would try to hide them, right?

Trump has not released his full medical records.

Earlier this week, Trump’s campaign manager said of Clinton’s decision to initially withhold her pneumonia diagnosis from the public: “We hope she’s fully recovering and she comes back to the campaign trail soon. But why all the furtiveness? Why the concealment?”

Asked in a separate interview for details on Trump’s health, Conway said, “I don’t know why we need such extensive medical reporting when we all have a right to privacy.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Well here we go again.  No transparency.  Obama all over again on transparency.  Neither candidate can be open about their finances, their health or their policies.  It's all theatre.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:41:45 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Trump hasn't been falling down so I don't have a reason to see his medical records.

He hasn't been in political office so I don't need to see his tax returns.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/09/trumps-son-my-dads-tax-returns-are-politically-damaging.html?mid=twitter-share-di

Donald Trump Jr.: If People Saw My Dad’s Tax Returns, It Would Hurt Him Politically

By Eric Levitz

Donald Trump is the first candidate in four decades to withhold his tax returns from public inspection. The Republican nominee’s official reason for breaking with this precedent is that he is currently under audit by the IRS. Which is a lie: People are free to share their own tax information, whether or not they are under audit, as the IRS reminded Trump back in February.

But on Wednesday night, the Trump campaign finally offered the American people some transparency — not about his financial history, but about his motives for withholding it.

In an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Donald Trump Jr. explained that his father will not release his taxes “because he’s got a 12,000-page tax return that would create … financial auditors out of every person in the country asking questions that would detract from (his father’s) main message.”

If Trump revealed the truth about his finances, people might ask questions that would “detract” from his message. Which is to say: If people knew more about the Republican nominee’s finances, it would hurt him politically.

On Thursday morning, Trump himself suggested that he would take a similar policy toward disclosing his medical records.

“I did every test. I did it last week, and the samples all came back and I guess I wouldn’t be talking to you right now if they were bad,” Trump said. “If they were bad, I would say let’s sort of skip this, right?”

If Trump’s medical records were bad, he would try to hide them, right?

Trump has not released his full medical records.

Earlier this week, Trump’s campaign manager said of Clinton’s decision to initially withhold her pneumonia diagnosis from the public: “We hope she’s fully recovering and she comes back to the campaign trail soon. But why all the furtiveness? Why the concealment?”

Asked in a separate interview for details on Trump’s health, Conway said, “I don’t know why we need such extensive medical reporting when we all have a right to privacy.”

I didn't care about Romney's returns and I don't care about Trump's? Why should I? Elections are already too personal anyway.

Good for Trump.

Offline sinkspur

What's he hiding?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I didn't care about Romney's returns and I don't care about Trump's? Why should I? Elections are already too personal anyway.

Good for Trump.

A 17 year old private, enlisting in the Army, has to undergo a FBI MEPS background check which includes a criminal background and financial disclosure (while the enlistee doesn't actually provide the tax forms, they do authorized the DOD to access financial records to disclose them).

Does it not make sense that someone applying for the job to be their Commander in Chief go through at least that bare minimum?

Offline Suppressed

Trump hasn't been falling down so I don't have a reason to see his medical records.

He hasn't been in political office so I don't need to see his tax returns.

As long as he isn't trying for political office, that is fine.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Good for Trump.

Meh. I don't care about Trump's tax returns, not that I'd understand them anyways.

However, when a candidate for President is on record as bothering the previous candidate of the party he supposedly represents to release his tax returns in a timely manner during their campaign, I get a bit annoyed at the hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:05:50 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
As long as he isn't trying for political office, that is fine.

:thumbsup:

Offline sinkspur

So the Trump campaign is dropping the pretense that the lack of transparency on taxes is due to an audit.

Offline Night Hides Not

Meh. I don't care about Trump's tax returns, not that I'd understand them anyways.

However, when a candidate for President is on record as bothering the previous candidate of the party he supposedly represents to release his tax returns in a timely manner during their campaign, I get a bit annoyed at the hypocrisy.

Not to worry, EC, I'd understand them. But I'm considered a NeverTrumper and a Cruzer, so my opinions are not desired by many.

One of my most enjoyable years of tax prep was as a contractor to a publicly traded company that had operations in 45 states. They were converting their tax system to a new program...it was a blast!  All told, I was there for about a year. Had there been an opening on their staff, I'd probably be there today as an employee, but no one retired or died (thankfully). Their average tenure was around 17 years.

The final consolidated return, including 14 subsidiaries, was over 300 pages. State returns for some states, such as CA & NY ranged from 300-350 pages. Once the accounts reconciled to each other in the computer, the rest was easy.

Do I really want to dig in to Trump's tax returns? Not really, but it would give a better picture of potentially the next POTUS.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Neither Trump nor Hillary are under any obligation to release their financial or medical records.   The act of running for President doesn't compel either to sacrifice their privacy in such matters.

And every voter is entitled to weigh such openness, or lack thereof, when casting his or her vote.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
A 17 year old private, enlisting in the Army, has to undergo a FBI MEPS background check which includes a criminal background and financial disclosure (while the enlistee doesn't actually provide the tax forms, they do authorized the DOD to access financial records to disclose them).

Does it not make sense that someone applying for the job to be their Commander in Chief go through at least that bare minimum?

I don't care about my mailman's taxes. He isn't applying for a job requiring the highest security clearance in the land. A president on the other hand....