Author Topic: Cruz’s conundrum: Help GOP save the Senate?  (Read 513 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz’s conundrum: Help GOP save the Senate?
« on: September 14, 2016, 01:12:07 pm »
 Cruz’s conundrum: Help GOP save the Senate?

The Texan, facing his own tough race in 2018, has to decide how hard to campaign for fellow senators he's antagonized for years.

By Burgess Everett

09/13/16 07:19 PM EDT

With the Republican Senate majority on the line, Ted Cruz has been politically dormant. Few contributions to colleagues, no campaign appearances with endangered incumbents and little talk of how important a GOP Senate is next year.

On Tuesday, that finally changed.

As Republican insiders began grumbling to POLITICO about Cruz’s lack of activity, Cruz forked over $100,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee. He did so at the behest of Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who Cruz has described as both a liar and a Democrat. But Cruz’s contributions — representing about a quarter of his Senate funds — produced a rare warm moment between the sometime adversaries.

“Thank you, Ted,” McConnell told Cruz after his donation, according to a source familiar with the exchange.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/ted-cruz-senate-republicans-228121
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Cruz’s conundrum: Help GOP save the Senate?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:26:14 pm »
"The Texan, facing his own tough race in 2018, has to decide how hard to campaign for fellow senators he's antagonized for years."?????

First, it's only been, what 2.5 years, and secondly they've been antagonizing voters for years, not Cruz.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:29:19 pm »
I don't see the conundrum. He's been out giving endorsements all along.

What I'm really interested in is how the rest of the GOP will react to him wanting to tie keeping the internet under American control to funding government. Are they going to sell our freedom of speech to keep the gravy train rolling?

As far as his "Tough reelection fight" is concerned, that's just wildly speculative chatter about a race that doesn't even take place till 2018.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:30:41 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:04 pm »
The real conundrum is whether Cruz should cave and publicly endorse Trump.  If he does, I believe he will lose his supporters who have defended Cruz's RNC speech and applauded his principles.  Cruz will need those supporters to win re-election to the Senate.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:24:30 pm »
I don't see the conundrum. He's been out giving endorsements all along.

What I'm really interested in is how the rest of the GOP will react to him wanting to tie keeping the internet under American control to funding government. Are they going to sell our freedom of speech to keep the gravy train rolling?

As far as his "Tough reelection fight" is concerned, that's just wildly speculative chatter about a race that doesn't even take place till 2018.

If his opponents are Katrina Pierson and/or Mike McFaul, he will be reelected handily.

A part of me wishes that he not seek a second term, go into the private sector, spend more time with his family, and make a ton of money writing books, and giving speeches, unfettered from the demands of being a lone voice in the Senate.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
Why would congress want Cruz's help to save them? His career is "finished" doncha know.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »
And, BTW, there is a difference between characterizing someone as a liar and pointing out that they, in a particular instance, lied.

McConnell is not only an occasionally dishonest valueless poltroon, he's an obsequious money grubbing occasionally dishonest valueless poltroon.

I hope Cruz doesn't expect the utterly faithless, gutless anti-conservative ingrates in the GOPe will remember his largess when he runs again in 2020. They are beneath contempt.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:46:52 pm by skeeter »

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 02:45:29 pm »
   I do have a problem with Sen. Cruz ponying up 100k to the NRSC, Their by-laws in 2014 were that hands off the primaries, they violated that in Mississippi (with Barbour's help) to get that ol goat Thad Cochran elected over Chris McDaniel.

I know that Cruz was involved with the NRSC at that time, but he soon cut ties after realizing what that deceiving ba$tard McConnell was doing.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:12:49 pm »
   I do have a problem with Sen. Cruz ponying up 100k to the NRSC, Their by-laws in 2014 were that hands off the primaries, they violated that in Mississippi (with Barbour's help) to get that ol goat Thad Cochran elected over Chris McDaniel.

I know that Cruz was involved with the NRSC at that time, but he soon cut ties after realizing what that deceiving ba$tard McConnell was doing.

Cruz played a small role, he was trying to show himself as a member of the team. It's apparent that Chris McDaniel did not hold that against him.

If this is all they have on him, it's nothing.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 03:23:16 pm »
Cruz played a small role, he was trying to show himself as a member of the team. It's apparent that Chris McDaniel did not hold that against him.

If this is all they have on him, it's nothing.

I couldn't AGREE more @Night Hides Not, McConnell asked Ted to be on the NRSC only to garner MORE Tea Party support for his shenanigans.

McConnell was successful in denying Tea party Candidates.

Sen. Cruz should give to Individual Candidates that share his Vision and Values instead of the NRSC, but what do I know.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.