Author Topic: GOP gains ground on Dems in voter registration in key states  (Read 404 times)

Offline Just_Victor

GOP gains ground on Dems in voter registration in key states
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d1c611a35aa5488789e0ad0cf4f2e818/gop-gains-ground-dems-voter-registration-key-states

By HOPE YEN | Sep. 14, 2016 3:43 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans have gained ground on Democrats in registering voters in three battleground states and kept their razor-thin advantage in Iowa — encouraging news for Donald Trump eight weeks before Election Day.

Republicans added hundreds of thousands of voters to the rolls since 2012 in states including Florida and Arizona, and narrowed the gap in North Carolina, according to data compiled by The Associated Press. In Iowa, Republicans prevented Democrats from surpassing them, aided by a court ruling upholding a ban on voting by ex-felons, who often register as Democrats.

As Election Day approaches, voter registration drives are in full swing.

Hillary Clinton's campaign is staging registration rallies and appealing in particular to non-whites and young people, who are more likely to vote early — if they vote at all. Trump is relying mostly on a base of white voters, urging supporters to be vigilant for voter fraud and "rigging."

"The Clinton campaign cannot come close to our output," said Sean Spicer, the Republican National Committee's chief strategist, in a campaign memorandum Monday.

The latest registration numbers aren't an assurance of new voters for Trump. Some changes reflect those who have died and been removed from the list, while others are inactive, not having voted in recent elections. In Florida, newly registered Hispanics are turning against the Republican nominee, stung by his anti-immigrant rhetoric. And Democrats historically have done well in signing up new voters in the final stretch.

But the figures, when available, offer important clues as to how each party stands.

more
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: GOP gains ground on Dems in voter registration in key states
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:59 pm »
Republicans added hundreds of thousands of voters to the rolls since 2012 in states including Florida and Arizona,

Besides 2012 being a lifetime ago in politics, isn't AZ now all of a sudden in the toss up after Romney handily won it in '12? I also see that the GOP is hemorrhaging Hispanics in FL.

This story is a load. There has been no jump in registrations because of Trump. On average this election cycle numbers have NOT increased by any real amount towards the GOP.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: GOP gains ground on Dems in voter registration in key states
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:02:32 pm »
[quote link=topic=224938.msg1053701#msg1053701 date=1473856178]
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d1c611a35aa5488789e0ad0cf4f2e818/gop-gains-ground-dems-voter-registration-key-states

Republicans added hundreds of thousands of voters to the rolls since 2012 in states including Florida

more
[/quote]

Estimates put population growth in FL at right about one million since 2012.  Of course there are hundreds of thousands of new Republican voters.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.