Author Topic: Donald Trump Unveils Child Care Subsidy Aimed at Women, Suburban Swing Voters (Mandatory Paid Maternity Leave)  (Read 24174 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/09/13/donald-trump-unveils-child-care-subsidy-aimed-at-women-suburban-swing-voters/

Donald Trump Unveils Child Care Subsidy Aimed at Women, Suburban Swing Voters

By JANET HOOK

Sep 13, 2016 8:18 am ET

Donald Trump is proposing new federal subsidies for child care, including tax deductions for families’ expenses, rebates for lower income households that do not itemize their taxes, and new tax-preferred savings accounts.

The proposal, which the Republican presidential nominee is due to unveil at a speech outside Philadelphia Tuesday evening accompanied by his daughter, Ivanka, is part of a bid to reach out to blocs of voters who have resisted him — women and swing voters such as those who dominate the Philadelphia suburbs.

The proposal fleshes out and broadens the general idea Mr. Trump brought up in an economic policy speech in Detroit in August, when he said he wanted to offer tax deductions for child care expenses. The idea was criticized at the time as one that would provide the most benefit to upper income people.

Mr. Trump’s Democratic rival Hillary Clinton has advanced a proposal to limit child care costs to 10% of a family’s income, but has offered few details on how that would work. She has also called for universal access to preschool education, increased federal subsidies and tax breaks for child care costs, a program to promote raises for child care workers, increased spending for Early Head start programs, and scholarships for college students with children.

Mr. Trump’s proposal calls for allowing taxpayers — both those who take the standard deduction and those who itemize deductions — to deduct child care expenses up to an amount equal to the average cost of care in the state. The deduction would not be available to individuals earning more than $250,000, or $500,000 for couples.

The proposal also calls for providing six weeks of paid maternity leave through unemployment benefits to parents whose employers don’t offer paid maternity leave.

The proposal will offer “spending rebates” of up to $1,200 a year to lower-income families through the Earned Income Tax Credit.

Mr. Trump also calls for a new savings account for families to save for their children as well as caring for elderly parents. The accounts would be broader and more widely available than current tax preferred “flexible spending” accounts that are available only through employers.

Mrs. Clinton has also proposed a law to guarantee workers up to 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave to care for a new child or a seriously ill family member. Her plan would specify that workers on leave get at least two-thirds of their regular wage, up to a ceiling,

A Trump campaign aide who described the plan in advance of the speech could not say how much revenue loss would result from the new tax breaks. He said it would be part of Mr. Trump’s broader tax overhaul and economic policy, which will be fleshed out in broader detail in a speech Thursday. He said that the goal was for the entire package to be deficit neutral.

The proposal and speech are the latest installment of a Trump campaign effort to build up a policy agenda that critics have said have been short on detail.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Spending, spending, spending.

Offline sinkspur

First "Republican" to ever endorse mandatory paid maternity leave.   

Let the pandering begin.

debrawiest

Oh yes. He's conservative.   **nononono*

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline Applewood

Spending, spending, spending.

Trump also likes stimulus for businesses.  Funny how so many Trump fans who decried Obama for squandering our tax dollars now praise Trump as a "visionary" for wanting to do some of the same kind of spending.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This completely sucks.  One of the many reasons he's not a conservative.

But I'm still voting for him over Hillary.

Offline Night Hides Not

A Trump campaign aide who described the plan in advance of the speech could not say how much revenue loss would result from the new tax breaks. He said it would be part of Mr. Trump’s broader tax overhaul and economic policy, which will be fleshed out in broader detail in a speech Thursday. He said that the goal was for the entire package to be deficit neutral.

The last sentence is a real knee slapper!  I was there during Reagan's TEFRA of 1986. That should be a primer for any overhaul of the tax code. It was working fine until Congress started tinkering with it. I'm more in favor of a consumption tax, but that has little chance of passing.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Just_Victor

So he's gonna govern just like Hillary.  Yippie.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline GrouchoTex

First "Republican" to ever endorse mandatory paid maternity leave.   

Let the pandering begin.

Yep, I am a bit old fashion about that.
I always thought it was the parents responsibility to provide for the offspring, not have government mandating time off, etc...

Offline sinkspur

Offline sinkspur

Here's Hannity mocking Obama for the same thing Trump is now proposing:

Sean Hannity
‏@seanhannity
“@IngrahamAngle: Paid sick leave...paid maternity leave...paid childcare...and it's all freeeeeeeeeeeee!” U forgot FREE COLLEGE
RETWEETS
6:39 PM - 20 Jan 2015

Offline sinkspur

And, of course, a Trump supporter is now echoing a familiar Democrat refrain:

Kristina Dabić
‏@moonchildwander Kristina Dabić Retweeted Stephen Miller
Until one of you mofos gives birth yourselves, let's keep maternity leaves out of partisan politics.  #Clueless

Reminder:  Ivanka Trump, Trump's advisor on all things women-related, is a registered Democrat

Offline LMAO

And to think, it not that long ago a TBR member was insisting to me Trump doesn't want to grow the size of the federal government which is an odd claim as Trump has made it very clear he plans to do just that very thing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GrouchoTex

And, of course, a Trump supporter is now echoing a familiar Democrat refrain:

Kristina Dabić
‏@moonchildwander Kristina Dabić Retweeted Stephen Miller
Until one of you mofos gives birth yourselves, let's keep maternity leaves out of partisan politics.  #Clueless

Reminder:  Ivanka Trump, Trump's advisor on all things women-related, is a registered Democrat

Of course:
democrat says it: it is a bad idea!
trump says it: it's brilliant!

I agree partially with this person.Let's keep maternity leave out of the government.
It is not in the constitution, so leave it alone.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)

Attempting to reduce the election to one or two issues then claiming that this is an indication of no significant difference? Just sayin'. Can you say, "Supreme Court appointments"?  I note that Ronald Reagan's picture is on this website's header, but that many who post here against the Republican candidate have absolutely no respect for the Eleventh Commandment.

I know that I am new here, but I for one, do not believe that I am smarter than Ronald Reagan. I also understand that Newt Gingrich's platform included applying Lean Six/Sigma management training for all Federal agencies. 'No big fan of Gingrich per se, but he is right about that. If we can eliminate even 15% of the waste of the Federal government, we could balance the budget and maintain every single non-discretionary budget allocation, along with full funding for every existing entitlement off into the horizon without cutting anything. It's about cutting waste. Anybody believe that Hill-O-Lies would ever even consider that? (Anybody ever heard of Cloward-Piven or doubt that she is fully on board with that Alinskyite degenerate horror?)

Bottom line is that if Mark Levin and Larry Elder can vote for Trump and not have conniptions or tear their beards, then so can I.  So many of you nice folks non-political posts are fair, reasonable, interesting, objective, brilliant and fascinating. But when it comes to Trump, so many seemed to wax overly-emotional (intuitive) and behave as if he slapped their Momma.

I GET IT. He is a populist trying to win so that he can do a better job than a psychotic lunatic Marxist. I'm not happy about it either since I have been fairly SCREAMING FOR YEARS on a number of conservative websites  THAT THE REPUBLICANS NEEDED TO GET A VIABLE CONSERVATIVE INTO THE PIPELINE TO RUN or a populist would get the slot. Voila!

"It's disappointing and can be depressing and we don't have to like it. But we have to accept that this is basically a center-left electorate, not center-right." - Larry Elder  (a "small ell" libertarian with no dog in the hunt).

All of this agonizing and setting of hair on fire is becoming alarming. Particularly when the margin of victory in many battleground states will be razor thin and Trump will need every vote he can get to counter leftist voter fraud (which likely will be historically high this election).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:22:14 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline LMAO

Here's Hannity mocking Obama for the same thing Trump is now proposing:

Sean Hannity
‏@seanhannity
“@IngrahamAngle: Paid sick leave...paid maternity leave...paid childcare...and it's all freeeeeeeeeeeee!” U forgot FREE COLLEGE
RETWEETS
6:39 PM - 20 Jan 2015

It would be interesting to hear Hannity's response to Trump's proposal.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Can you say, "Supreme Court appointments"?
Can you say "Earl Warren and William Brennan?"
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline chae

It baffles me how Trump can make these liberal Democrat proposals, and all I hear is that it's all about the Supreme Court...Like he's going to nominate people who disagree with the very same liberal ideas he's pushing...

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
It baffles me how Trump can make these liberal Democrat proposals, and all I hear is that it's all about the Supreme Court...Like he's going to nominate people who disagree with the very same liberal ideas he's pushing...

Aye.

Silver Pines

Attempting to reduce the election to one or two issues then claiming that this is an indication of no significant difference? Just sayin'. Can you say, "Supreme Court appointments"?  I note that Ronald Reagan's picture is on this website's header, but that many who post here against the Republican candidate have absolutely no respect for the Eleventh Commandment.

First of all, welcome to the forum, @LateForLunch.

I'm a conservative Constitutionalist, not a Republican.  I'm not a slave to any party. 

Donald Trump is a lifelong liberal who said not long ago that he doesn't care if the Senate goes to the Democrats.  I refuse to delude myself that he would appoint decent Supreme Court judges.  It's a fantasy, born of many Trump supporters' desires to project what they want to see onto the man.

I know that I am new here, but I for one, do not believe that I am smarter than Ronald Reagan. I also understand that Newt Gingrich's platform included applying Lean Six/Sigma management training for all Federal agencies. 'No big fan of Gingrich per se, but he is right about that. If we can eliminate even 15% of the waste of the Federal government, we could balance the budget and maintain every single non-discretionary budget allocation, along with full funding for every existing entitlement off into the horizon without cutting anything. It's about cutting waste. Anybody believe that Hill-O-Lies would ever even consider that? (Anybody ever heard of Cloward-Piven or doubt that she is fully on board with that Alinskyite degenerate horror?)

I don't believe that Hillary or her longtime friend, donor, and praiser, Trump, will do it. 

I'm with you---I'm not smarter than Reagan.  If he were alive today he would no doubt be disgusted with Trump and would understand that he's nothing but a big-government statist who stuck an R behind his name.

But even if Reagan were here and supported him, so what?  My opinion of Trump wouldn't be any different if my husband backed him (he detests Trump).  There's no way a politician, be it Reagan, Cruz, or anyone else would influence my judgment.  I make up my own mind.

Bottom line is that if Mark Levin and Larry Elder can vote for Trump and not have conniptions or tear their beards, then so can I.  So many of you nice folks non-political posts are fair, reasonable, interesting, objective, brilliant and fascinating. But when it comes to Trump, so many seemed to wax overly-emotional (intuitive) and behave as if he slapped their Momma.

Then by all means vote for Trump.  I know what Trump is, what he always has been, and my mind is made up.  No politician or talk radio host will change that.

It's ironic that you accuse NeverTrumps of emotionalism.  You want to see emotionalism?  You can check out the Trump rally threads on another site where the female Trump fans gush about how much they love him, his beautiful skin, his soft hands, etc. 

Okay, I'm back.  I had to excuse myself and get my gag reflex under control.

Or you can check out the Trump Worship Images thread on this site, where members find and post Trump photoshopped as Alexander the Great, Napoleon, even Jesus Christ.

I GET IT. He is a populist trying to win so that he can do a better job than a psychotic lunatic Marxist. I'm not happy about it either since I have been fairly SCREAMING FOR YEARS on a number of conservative websites  THAT THE REPUBLICANS NEEDED TO GET A VIABLE CONSERVATIVE INTO THE PIPELINE TO RUN or a populist would get the slot. Voila!

"It's disappointing and can be depressing and we don't have to like it. But we have to accept that this is basically a center-left electorate, not center-right." - Larry Elder  (a "small ell" libertarian with no dog in the hunt).

All of this agonizing and setting of hair on fire is becoming alarming. Particularly when the margin of victory in many battleground states will be razor thin and Trump will need every vote he can get to counter leftist voter fraud (which likely will be historically high this election).

I don't have to accept anything.  I'm a free individual and no one is holding a gun to my head to go into the voting booth and pull a lever for one of those dumpster fires.

Trump is, quite simply and factually, a vulgar, repellent, amoral, vengeful, childish pathological liar who is dangerously ignorant and unfit for office.  I'm never going to support him.

Offline LMAO

Excellent point

Barry Goldwater

Offline sinkspur

If we can eliminate even 15% of the waste of the Federal government, we could balance the budget and maintain every single non-discretionary budget allocation, along with full funding for every existing entitlement off into the horizon without cutting anything. It's about cutting waste.

"Cutting waste, fraud, and abuse" as a solution to "saving money" is the cry of someone who has no idea what to do.  No president or Congress has ever "saved" by doing this or has even done this.  Trump wouldn't either, as it is the nature of bureaucracies to be inefficient. 

Unlike you, I will not vote for Trump because he is unfit for the office of President. 

Offline GrouchoTex

"Cutting waste, fraud, and abuse" as a solution to "saving money" is the cry of someone who has no idea what to do.  No president or Congress has ever "saved" by doing this or has even done this.  Trump wouldn't either, as it is the nature of bureaucracies to be inefficient. 

Unlike you, I will not vote for Trump because he is unfit for the office of President.

Every Presidential candidate since I have been voting, Republican or Democrat, has said they are going to cut "waste, fraud, and abuse".
I have been voting since Reagan.
Real cuts, to federal departments have to happen, not just the "waste, fraud and abuse".
Not that cutting these things isn't a good idea, it just won't be enough.

Offline Just_Victor

Every Presidential candidate since I have been voting, Republican or Democrat, has said they are going to cut "waste, fraud, and abuse".
I have been voting since Reagan.
Real cuts, to federal departments have to happen, not just the "waste, fraud and abuse".
Not that cutting these things isn't a good idea, it just won't be enough.

They always end up spending more money locating and rooting out the waste, fraud, and abuse than gets returned in savings from eliminating the waste, fraud, and abuse.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.