Author Topic: Major Landlord Accused Of Antiblack Bias in City (Flashback 1973)  (Read 1224 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Major Landlord Accused Of Antiblack Bias in City (Flashback 1973)
« on: September 08, 2016, 11:58:01 pm »
I saw a comment recently that Donald Trump, in his four decades of business, has never once been accused of racism, not once. For anyone who actually knows Trump's history, this is a comment to chuckle at because accusations of racism have followed him his entire career, with several lawsuits from employees and beauty pageant contestants. But just to put that silly comment to rest, I thought we would take a walk down memory lane and review the first major lawsuit against Donald Trump, in 1973. 

This lawsuit was brought against Trump and his father by none other than the Nixon Administration. (yes, Republican Richard Nixon).  This was actually Trump's first appearance in the New York Times.

“The government contended that Trump Management had refused to rent or negotiate rentals ‘because of race and color,’ ” The Times reported. “It also charged that the company had required different rental terms and conditions because of race and that it had misrepresented to blacks that apartments were not available.”

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2186612-major-landlord-accuse-of-antiblack-bias-in-city.html

Trump tried to counter-sue the government for $100 million stating the suit was unfair, that was tossed out as absurd.

The result was a settlement in which the Trump Organization and Lefrak Organization (Trump company that operated the building) stop discriminating based on race and provide a list of all vacancies and qualified applications for review for two years for all 39 buildings...

What a way to start a career.

Additional sources:
http://www.nytimes.com/times-insider/2015/07/30/1973-meet-donald-trump/
http://fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald-trump-racism-quotes/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/donald-trump-blacks-lawsuit_n_855553.html

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:58:46 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

Re: Major Landlord Accused Of Antiblack Bias in City (Flashback 1973)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 12:01:22 am »
I chose this article for several reasons.

1. The source article is from 1973, not exactly something that can be claimed to be bias due to his Presidential run.
2. It was the Republican Nixon administration who brought the suit against Trump.
3. It is the first in a long line of similar suits.
4. Well, I'm keeping that one a secret for now anticipating what some responses will be.  :smokin:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 12:11:01 am »
I chose this article for several reasons.

1. The source article is from 1973, not exactly something that can be claimed to be bias due to his Presidential run.
2. It was the Republican Nixon administration who brought the suit against Trump.
3. It is the first in a long line of similar suits.
4. Well, I'm keeping that one a secret for now anticipating what some responses will be.  :smokin:

How intriguing!  I think I shall watch to see what might come of this!   :pop41:
Let it burn.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:13:11 am »
AGNEW RESIGNED!!!! Well who's gonna be the VP now?

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:57:24 pm »
Bump because this is part of the story now. The original NYT article. He didn't settle it in the 'I'm innocent' way he claimed.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »
There was no admission of guilt.

Trump's explanation was that a whole lot of landlords were being sued; sounding like a class action lawsuit.

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
There was no admission of guilt.

Trump's explanation was that a whole lot of landlords were being sued; sounding like a class action lawsuit.

That's a bit of legal wordsmanship on his part. They don't have to admit guilt for there to be a finding of guilt (I'm sure most who settle never admit guilt); they didn't have to say the words 'I'm guilty', they were found guilty. As you can see from the article and links, the Justice Department did find wronging and discrimination and ordered remediation, something that wouldn't be necessary if they were not guilty (at that, per the third link above, the Justice Department had to go after the Trump organization again three years later because they were found to still be discriminating). Also, no, it was not a class action lawsuit against all the landlords in the city as Trump claimed, per the links above you can actually see the filings. It was a Justice Department investigation specifically against Trump's company and his management company.

Just one more thing Trump lied to you about.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 03:54:59 pm »
That's a bit of legal wordsmanship on his part. They don't have to admit guilt for there to be a finding of guilt (I'm sure most who settle never admit guilt); they didn't have to say the words 'I'm guilty', they were found guilty. As you can see from the article and links, the Justice Department did find wronging and discrimination and ordered remediation, something that wouldn't be necessary if they were not guilty (at that, per the third link above, the Justice Department had to go after the Trump organization again three years later because they were found to still be discriminating). Also, no, it was not a class action lawsuit against all the landlords in the city as Trump claimed, per the links above you can actually see the filings. It was a Justice Department investigation specifically against Trump's company and his management company.

Just one more thing Trump lied to you about.

The 3rd link? Oh, yeah, Huffington Post, sure, I'll take their word, is their nothing better? Yeah, the same fruit salad of links to try and call someone racist, Fortune and the NY Times. What a lineup.

And please don't personalize your comment to me "Trump lied to you about" or maybe I should do the same back.  It was a lawsuit, so if it makes one's day to yell, Trump is a racist, so be it.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 04:08:51 pm »
They don't have to admit guilt for there to be a finding of guilt

And a finding of guilt is possible without there being any actual guilt to find.

If a bank decides not to make loans in certain neighborhoods due to perfectly justified risk assessments, and those neighborhoods also happen to be populated by minorities at a higher percentage than the national average the bank is "guilty" of racism.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.