Author Topic: Ted Cruz Leads the Charge in Stopping Obama’s Misguided “Internet Giveaway”  (Read 766 times)

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz Leads the Charge in Stopping Obama’s Misguided “Internet Giveaway”

As President Obama tries to end his presidency on the lowest, most destructive note possible, Senator Ted Cruz and House Republicans are planning to fight the president’s attempts to turn over internet oversight to nation’s that have, traditionally, not been icons of free speech.

GOP lawmakers have long warned that the administration's plan to relinquish its authority over ICANN, the global nonprofit that manages the internet's domain name system, could give authoritarian countries like China and Russia an opening to make an online power grab. Now, as the actual date of the transition approaches — Oct. 1 — Republicans are looking at throwing up new obstacles.

"Today our country faces a threat to the internet as we know it. In 22 short days, if Congress fails to act, the Obama administration intends to give away the internet to an international body akin to the United Nations," Cruz said in a speech on the Senate floor Thursday. "I rise today to discuss the significant, irreparable damage this proposed internet giveaway could wreak not only on our nation but on free speech across the world."

He makes a very cogent point, as always, but that’s not stopping President Obama from appealing to the tech and telecom industries to support him in his efforts.

Senator Cruz has even set up a website to bring awareness to the dangers of allowing this to pass, as well as a countdown clock. He plans a hearing with the oversight subcommittee he chairs for next week, in order to examine the aspects of the president’s plan, as well as highlight the risks....

http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/09/08/ted-cruz-leads-charge-stopping-obamas-misguided-internet-giveaway/

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

Welcome back Ted, Give em hell!!!!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

At least we have one Senator doing his job! 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrWHeVy003c
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well somebody has to do it.

Offline GrouchoTex

It seems to be flying under the radar, but I an hopeful that this message gets across.
This affects conservatives and liberals alike.
Whoever controls the content controls the message.
TBR could disappear, so could DU.
I imagine we all wouldn't mind DU disappearing, but what if it were reversed?
I kind of like knowing what our opponents are up to................

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I was wondering what they could do legislatively to stop it, saw this in the article:

"    Meanwhile, Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John Thune (R-S.D.) said Wednesday that language to delay the transition could be included in the continuing resolution to fund the government past this month. And House Republicans are considering their options in the coming appropriations bill, a GOP aide confirmed this week.

“I don’t think the foundation has been appropriately laid for this,” Thune said in an interview. “Some members are adamantly opposed to transition, period, and a lot of them just think now is not the time, and it really just hasn’t been vetted, and it’s not ready yet.”"

Now wondering if either side would throw down over it being in the CR.