Author Topic: Trump Adviser Mike Flynn Interrupted Intel Briefing Until Christie Intervened  (Read 2232 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/u-s-official-donald-trump-s-body-language-claim-doesn-n644856

SEP 8 2016, 11:37 AM ET

Trump Adviser Mike Flynn Interrupted Briefing Until Christie Intervened

by KEN DILANIAN

One of Donald Trump's top advisers interrupted intelligence officials at a recent briefing so many times that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie had to intervene, NBC News has learned.

Mike Flynn, a retired general and former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, repeatedly questioned briefers during the Aug. 17 meeting, according to three people familiar with the matter.

Christie, who was also attending the briefing, touched Flynn's arm in an effort get him to calm down and let the officials continue, one source said.

The briefing is given to the presidential nominee from each party. Donald Trump raised eyebrows Wednesday night when he claimed that during his session, he could tell intelligence officials were "not happy" with President Obama by reading their "body language."

"What I did learn," Trump said at NBC's Commander-in-Chief Forum, "is that our leadership, Barack Obama, did not follow ... what our experts said to do ... And I was very, very surprised.

"I could tell — I'm pretty good with body language — I could tell they were not happy."

Timothy Barrett, a spokesman for the Director of National Intelligence, declined to comment Thursday on Trump's characterization of the body language of his intelligence briefers.

However, a U.S. official pointed out that intelligence officers don't give policy advice, so it would inaccurate to say that Obama failed to follow the advice of the intelligence community. A second U.S. official said analysts are trained not to allow their body language to betray their thinking.

That said, intelligence officials have asserted they warned the administration repeatedly about the rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria well before Obama ordered a bombing campaign. And as NBC News has reported, senior intelligence officials in 2012 proposed a covert operation to oust Bashar Assad in Syria, but Obama decided not to move forward with it.

Michael Morell, a former acting CIA director who was President George W. Bush's briefer and is now a Hillary Clinton supporter, said Trump's comments about his briefing were extraordinary.

"This is first time that I can remember a candidate for president doing a readout from an intelligence briefing, and it's the first time a candidate has politicized their intelligence briefing. Both of those are highly inappropriate and crossed a long standing red line respected by both parties," he said.

"To me this is just the most recent example that underscores that this guy is unfit to be commander in chief," Morell continued.

"His comments show that he's got no understanding of how intelligence works. Intelligence officers do not make policy recommendations. It's not their job and anyone running for president should know that. The people who briefed him, I'm pretty sure were career analysts — senior intel professionals. There is no way that they would in any way signal displeasure with the policies of the president."

There were fewer than 10 people in the room at Trump's briefing, and all the briefers were career intelligence officials, including both military officers and civilians, U.S. officials told NBC News. The names of the briefers have not been made public.

The briefing was conducted at the "secret" level of classification, and it did not cover sources and methods or covert operations.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:10:39 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Trump knows body language:

Offline sinkspur

John Schindler ‏@20committee  7m7 minutes ago
Cut Trump some slack. It was his first intelligence briefing.

Well, his first briefing by AMERICAN intelligence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Trump criticized the sitting president, for ignoring threats to national security, but he didn't reveal any secrets.

But by all means, be against Trump.

And ignore the continuing threat to our national security, so you can be anti-Trump, and fit right in here.

And make no mention that Hillary also threatened our national security with her email message fiasco.

But it is all day, day after day, anti-Trump ad nauseumPay yourselves on the back, for leaving one echo chamber, only to join another one.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

Trump criticized the sitting president, for ignoring threats to national security, but he didn't reveal any secrets.

But by all means, be against Trump.

And ignore the continuing threat to our national security, so you can be anti-Trump, and fit right in here.

And make no mention that Hillary also threatened our national security with her email message fiasco.

But it is all day, day after day, anti-Trump ad nauseumPay yourselves on the back, for leaving one echo chamber, only to join another one.

The members here are overwhelmingly #NeverTrump. If anyone expects balance at TBR, think again.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Its no wonder he thinks that men and women can't serve in the military together without rape.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The members here are overwhelmingly #NeverTrump. If anyone expects balance at TBR, think again.

I can see why you are a Trump follower.  Trump says the same thing about media.  He might be right sometimes but many times he causes his own trouble with the media by saying stupid stuff.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Suppressed

...for leaving one echo chamber, only to join another one.

It would certainly be refreshing if there were positive traits of Trump to discuss.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sinkspur

He just stupidly tried to publicly interpret the "body language" of career professionals in the intelligence community, when he likely can't even correctly spell "intelligence."  He imputed views to them.

In other words, he lied, like he always does.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I heard the debate, start to finish.

Hillary got puff ball questions, and they tried to trip up Trump.

Funny the assembled folks here, missed that interpretation. But then, they are not objective in the slightest.

They hear that he revealed national security secrets, when he clearly did not.

And they overlook the fact Clinton was NOT questioned about revealing national security secrets, when she probably DID with reckless email handling, then lying repeatedly.

They hear what they want to hear, and truth be known many want Hillary to be elected. In my opinion.

As the uncle of a woman that served for 12 years in the Air Force AND WAS RAPED, I take it seriously. Trump was correct indicating it was a problem.

But here is how this goes. Trump takes a position, automatically the gathered chorus here, takes the opposite position.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

Re: Trump Adviser Mike Flynn Interrupted Intel Briefing Until Christie Intervened
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »
It would certainly be refreshing if there were positive traits of Trump to discuss.

There are. I found tons of it. But, I don't expect you to look at any of it. Your mind is set. Don't worry – I don't care who you vote for. You're the one who's got to live with your conscience.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Adviser Mike Flynn Interrupted Intel Briefing Until Christie Intervened
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 05:06:18 pm »

Every question trips up Trump.  He's ignorant, and hasn't prepared a lick since his last GOP debate (which he didn't prepare for either). 

It is a tribute to the intelligence of this forum that there are so few Trump supporters here.  Sound political judgment is not dead, after all.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »

As the uncle of a woman that served for 12 years in the Air Force AND WAS RAPED, I take it seriously. Trump was correct indicating it was a problem.

Did you hear your boy say that the Military needed a "court system"?  Is he totally unaware that they already have one?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »
Did you hear your boy say that the Military needed a "court system"?  Is he totally unaware that they already have one?

I really object to the legislation that will remove sexual assault/rape cases from the chain of command. Reliance on the  chain of command is one of the hallmarks of our military.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 05:21:50 pm »

Funny the assembled folks here, missed that interpretation. But then, they are not objective in the slightest.

They hear that he revealed national security secrets, when he clearly did not.

And they overlook the fact Clinton was NOT questioned about revealing national security secrets, when she probably DID with reckless email handling, then lying repeatedly.

They hear what they want to hear, and truth be known many want Hillary to be elected. In my opinion.

But here is how this goes. Trump takes a position, automatically the gathered chorus here, takes the opposite position.

Trump doesn't need any help when it comes to tripping himself up. He's now in an element where every utterance comes under a microscope, and he's said many "amazing and illuminating" things over his career.

Trump's "positions" usually have a half-life between Roentgenium (10 minutes) and Rutherfordium (13 hours). There are days when he opposes his latest positions. I've given up trying to keep track of his pronouncements.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:27:23 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 05:30:45 pm »

Is there anything that Trump does not consider himself an expert in?

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:40 pm »
Is there anything that Trump does not consider himself an expert in?
Fidelity.