Author Topic: If Hillary Wins, What Should Conservatives Do?  (Read 4199 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

If Hillary Wins, What Should Conservatives Do?
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:54:08 pm »
SOURCE; NATIONAL REVIEW

URL: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/439585/hillary-clinton-unpopular-mandate-problem-conservatives-offer-alternatives

By: Ian Tuttle

A new Washington Post/ABC poll, released on Tuesday, shows that Hillary Clinton’s post-convention era of good feelings lasted approximately three weeks. Despite months of relentless media coverage of Donald Trump, his endless string of campaign calamities (including a weeklong spat with the family of a fallen American soldier), and the increasingly widespread view that Trump is a bigot — the worst thing you can be in American public life — the two candidates are about equally unpopular. He’s viewed unfavorably by 60 percent of registered voters; she’s at 59 percent.

Which is to say that, if Hillary Clinton is elected in November, she is in for a miserable four years. Because none of the sources of her unpopularity are going away.

First are the scandals. Ongoing litigation surrounding Clinton’s e-mails and her use of a private e-mail server would stretch into her first term in office, and is certain to yield further embarrassing revelations (like this week’s discovery that Clinton failed to turn over several e-mails related to the Benghazi attacks), and it was recently reported that field offices of the FBI are considering investigating the e-mail scandal in conjunction with various U.S. Attorneys’ offices.

Even if those inquiries turned up nothing, their presence would continue to prompt questions about how seriously Clinton is taking security and transparency concerns as president (having spent her several years as secretary of state evading both). And, of course, looming over all of this will be the question of the Clinton Foundation. Given everything we know already about the way the Clinton Foundation operated during Clinton’s tenure at the State Department, could we trust that the foundation and her White House would be truly separate? Hillary Clinton’s presidency would almost inevitably sit under a cloud of suspicion.

That would be of her own making, of course. Voters’ sense that Hillary is untrustworthy is not a fluke. It’s the consequence of the years she has spent periphrasing and circumlocuting — and, yes, outright lying. That has only reinforced what was obvious to many from their first introduction to the Clintons in the early 1990s: She has always been determined to claw her way into the Oval Office, by sheer force of will. Ruthless calculation may be effective, but it’s not attractive. People may tolerate Hillary, but they won’t like her.

And she will not be able to distract from any of the above with good governance. She has said that she will be Barack Obama’s third term, and the policies she has proposed suggest as much. In response to years of economic stagnation, she will maintain or expand the bureaucratic “solutions” that in fact have helped to entrench problems. (It’s not unlikely that Clinton would have to preside over a second recession.) With the Democrats’ health-care monstrosity creating headaches for millions of people nationwide, she promises to strengthen its grip. As half the nation seethes over unconstitutional immigration directives, she promises to effectively abrogate American immigration law in toto. And she’ll divide, rather than reconcile, on race and guns and abortion and conscience rights and much else. Doubling down on the last eight years is certain to yield more of the same frustration and anger.

None of this will be good for the country. But it does offer conservatives an opportunity. The time is now to come up with a comprehensive, positive agenda that presents a coherent and compelling alternative to the failed liberal agenda that, in 2020, will have held the day for a dozen years. Paul Ryan and the House Republican conference have tried to do this with their “Better Way” agenda, which offers an expansive, detailed agenda for six major areas: the economy, tax reform, health care, poverty and upward mobility, national security, and the Constitution. It’s this agenda, or something like it, that will be crucial if conservatives hope to seem more than a rump opposition. So will be a dedication to promoting this agenda beyond traditional Republican borders; a positive agenda needs to be pitched in Baltimore and Milwaukee, not just Orange County. And, finally, there must be leaders who understand how that agenda reflects conservative principles, and can articulate both as necessary.

This is a tall order, but hardly an impossible one, and if Donald Trump loses handily, as seems more and more likely, it will be a ready-made opportunity to reconstitute conservatism to address the needs of a larger and more diverse group of Americans.

Four years of Hillary Clinton will be enormously painful for conservatives. But millions of non-ideological Americans are going to be pained by it, too, and looking for an alternative. When 2020 rolls around, conservatives should have one to offer.

Ian Tuttle is the Thomas L. Rhodes Fellow at the National Review Institute.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: If Hillary Wins, What Should Conservatives Do?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 02:03:02 pm »
Dumb question really.

Conservatives should do the same no matter who wins always.

Stand for conservative constitutionalism.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »
From the article...
"Which is to say that, if Hillary Clinton is elected in November, she is in for a miserable four years. Because none of the sources of her unpopularity are going away."

100% accurate.

She does not have the likability factor, political skill, charm, or simply the ability to relate to people the same way Bill did. If her last name wasn't Clinton, were would she be now?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:11:01 pm »
From the article...
"Which is to say that, if Hillary Clinton is elected in November, she is in for a miserable four years. Because none of the sources of her unpopularity are going away."

100% accurate.

She does not have the likability factor, political skill, charm, or simply the ability to relate to people the same way Bill did. If her last name wasn't Clinton, were would she be now?

But... the GOPe consider her someone they can 'do business with'.

Once elected I'm sure she couldn't care less whether anyone likes her or not - her kind never does. Who's gonna stop her?

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:37:50 pm »
I can remember the most grim period for conservatism / GOP in the 1974-1976 timeframe. 

Our obit was almost cast in stone.  Then Reagan changed all that.

I think we will see that happen again in 2020 after the disaster of Hillary.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »
Dumb question really.

YES.

And as for the original question...to understand it, consider the source.

It's the National Review, the JEB! Journal.  Home of Imitation Conservatives since 2014.

They're trying to rub salt in the wound...you wouldn't stomach OUR sort of RINO Conservatism, so you'll have THIS.

Offline unknown

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:59:24 pm »

BLOAT!

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 06:17:26 pm »
If Hillary Wins, What Should Conservatives Do? 

Just as we did when we fought New York liberal Donald Trump's nomination, we continue to fight for the conservative cause.

Offline Axel

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 06:20:08 pm »
If Hillary wins, its possible that after being President during the failure of ObamaCare and possibly another recession that conservatives get their act together and nominate a viable candidate in 2020.

It is also highly possible that Democrats use the recession to make Americans even more dependent on government, and therefore the Democratic Party. It is also likely they will broaden their base through universal amnesty.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this election because I'm terribly pessimistic about the long term future if we continue progressively down this sprial. Conservatives are only making this easier for the Progressives by splintering and arguing over degrees of conservatism. I'm not saying Trump hasn't done many things to cause that, but anyone who thinks we have a better chance of affecting conservative change outside of the GOP has completely given up.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 06:38:42 pm »
Dumb question really.

100%.

Well that and getting as far away from Trump voters as possible because between the Brownshirts of the BLM/Liberal wing and the IRS she'll be dispatching to reeducate, I wouldn't want anyone I care about near them.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:38:59 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »
What else?

Bend over and kiss your azzes goodbye!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 06:53:01 pm »
I can remember the most grim period for conservatism / GOP in the 1974-1976 timeframe. 

Our obit was almost cast in stone.  Then Reagan changed all that.

I think we will see that happen again in 2020 after the disaster of Hillary.

If Hillary gets in we won't see another GOP majority in either House for a very very long time, if ever.  I'm not sure this country is going to make it till 2020.  Open borders and allowing millions of Muslims into this country doesn't bode well for sovereignty nor does it bode well for American citizens.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 06:53:51 pm »
Which kind of "conservative" are we talking about?

--Bill Kristol/Romney/JebBush/Glenn Beck crybabies and their type, who are 100% owned by lobbyists, big finance, big military, open borders, etc?

--Sessions, Huckabee, Guiliani, Perry, Walker that honored their pledges to support the nominee?

--Phony conservatives that take the democrat positions on most issues, the white guilt social warriors on this site? (the type who name call others supposedly in the same party.)

--The party leaders, who lack discipline to prevent starting a primary cycle with 17 candidates.

--Slick lawyers like Cruz, that expect to baffle people by being on both sides of many issues. Think they are smarter.

--Gary Johnson/Bill Weld types?

Let me know which candidate will unite those factions.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 07:01:41 pm »

--Slick lawyers like Cruz, that expect to baffle people by being on both sides of many issues. Think they are smarter.

You are pathetic.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 02:31:34 am »
You are pathetic.

Hey, as pathetic as he is, he accurately left Drumpf off his little list.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 03:55:20 am »
Dumb question really.

Which it would be near impossible with a liberal Trump GOP.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 05:29:08 am »
Hey, as pathetic as he is, he accurately left Drumpf off his little list.

No he didn't

"Phony conservatives that take the democrat positions on most issues, the white guilt social warriors on this site? (the type who name call others supposedly in the same party.)"

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 10:17:23 am »
You are pathetic.

You attack the messenger (saying "You" are pathetic), and yet you didn't even address the points he made. Nancy, @mystery-ak, when are you going to crack down on people who attack personally other members, rather than observing rules and arguing points?

Truth seeker is anything but pathetic. He's a good person who's been here since the beginning. He has a wealth of experience behind him. Yet, you dismiss him with insult and a callous disregard for the rules here.

Bad boy, Norm. You should work on your people skills...or did you leave those behind at free republic? Perhaps sanctimony entitles you to acting out with bad behavior?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:51 am »
@truth_seeker

"Slick lawyers like Cruz, that expect to baffle people by being on both sides of many issues. Think they are smarter. "

-------

Never got that impression of Ted Cruz.  I admire his way of talking to voters as if they are as intelligent as he is.  He doesn't talk down to his audience.   He respects them.

Unfortunately, it appears he is wrong about the intelligence of a significant number of voters.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:30:14 am by Applewood »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 11:29:48 am »
You attack the messenger (saying "You" are pathetic), and yet you didn't even address the points he made. Nancy, @mystery-ak, when are you going to crack down on people who attack personally other members, rather than observing rules and arguing points?

Truth seeker is anything but pathetic. He's a good person who's been here since the beginning. He has a wealth of experience behind him. Yet, you dismiss him with insult and a callous disregard for the rules here.

Bad boy, Norm. You should work on your people skills...or did you leave those behind at free republic? Perhaps sanctimony entitles you to acting out with bad behavior?

It's your crybaby act that's pathetic.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 12:07:21 pm »
It's your crybaby act that's pathetic.

Here's a suggestion for both you and Norm. Begin comments to another member with: I disagree with you, and here's why...

But thanks for the personal attack anyway. I appreciate the courtesy.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 12:21:37 pm »
I'm reminded by your comment to me of one of my favorite quotes, Mr. Jazzhead:

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."

^-^

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 12:28:36 pm »
What else?

Bend over and kiss your azzes goodbye!
Interesting. The use of the non-inclusive pronoun "your" implies you are not a Conservative, ie, not one of "us". 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »
If Hillary gets in we won't see another GOP majority in either House for a very very long time, if ever.  I'm not sure this country is going to make it till 2020.  Open borders and allowing millions of Muslims into this country doesn't bode well for sovereignty nor does it bode well for American citizens.
Not to nit-pick, but the question was "What should conservatives do?".

The dominant faction in the GOP is not conservative, as has been proven time and again. Nor should we equate Republican with conservative. Conservatives are a subset of the Republican Party which gives the impression the Party is conservative overall, but the results of electing Republicans have not coincided with conservative goals.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:01 pm »
>snip<
-
--Phony conservatives that take the democrat positions on most issues, the white guilt social warriors on this site? (the type who name call others supposedly in the same party.)
>snip<
You wouldn't be name calling would you? :silly: :silly: :silly:
Petards are so much fun.

C S Lewis