Author Topic: Newsmax's Top 25 Christian Films of All Time  (Read 1059 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Newsmax's Top 25 Christian Films of All Time
« on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:34 am »
Excerpted:
Newsmax's Top 25 Christian Films of All Time

1. "The King of Kings" (1927- silent), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
2. "Quo Vadis" (1951), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
3. "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (2005), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +1:
4. "The Robe" (1953), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
5. "Les Misérables" (1934), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
6. "A Tale of Two Cities" (1935), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
7. "Lilies of the Field" (1963), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4
8. "Sergeant York" (1941), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
9. "The Passion of the Christ" (2004), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: -2:
10. "Ben-Hur" (1959), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
11. "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: -1:
12. "Repentance" (1987 – subtitled, Soviet Union), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +2:
13. "Chariots of Fire" (1981), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
14. "Babette's Feast" (1987 – subtitled, French), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
15. "The Hiding Place" (1975), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
16. "Sophie Scholl – The Final Days" (2005), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
17. "The Ten Commandments" (1956), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
18. "Places in the Heart" (1984), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +3:
19. "Tender Mercies" (1983), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +2:
20. "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +3:
21. "Lady Jane" (1986), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: -1:
22. "Eleni" (1985), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +2:
23. The best of the Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" adaptations: There are at least 15 movie and 25 television adaptations of Charles Dickens’ "A Christmas Carol," according to the International Movie Database. Here are the best:
    "Scrooge" (1951), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +3:
    "The Muppet Christmas Carol" (1992), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +3:
    "A Christmas Carol" (1999), Quality: * * * Acceptability: +3:
    "A Christmas Carol" (2009), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +1:
24. "A Man Called Peter" (1955), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4:
25. "True Grit" (2010), Quality: * * * * Acceptability: -2:

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/TopBestList/top-christian-films-newsmax/2016/08/31/id/746028/#ixzz4J3zkyZ2S
Go to article for full ratings, "acceptability"? I will read it more later; however, this excerpt is where I've heard Europeans say, well, you're still way ahead of us.
Christianity is still the most common belief system in the United States, not just the world. For example, more than two-thirds of Americans — 68 percent to 75.2 percent or up to 242.72 million people — believe in Christianity, Jesus, and miracles, while up to 86 percent (or about 277.57 million people) believe in God, according to Movieguide, the biggest faith-based, family review service. In contrast to this, only 8 percent to 18 percent of America’s 322.76 million people refuse to believe in God or the Jesus of the Bible.

Not bad for those telling us Christianity is in such decline.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Newsmax's Top 25 Christian Films of All Time
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:45:04 pm »
The list considers the Christological, biblical content of each movie, combined with the movie’s aesthetic and entertainment value, its visual or cinematic quality, its dramatic power, the cohesion and energy behind its narrative structure, its moral and spiritual acceptability for family audiences, and the moral and spiritual depth of its message and themes.
I don't understand the -2 acceptability rating of "The Passion of the Christ." It's a bit intense for younger children, but it depicts what happened.

I've seen some of these movies. Although I loved the books, I've never been able to sit through the Narnia film when it's come on TV.

Not sure I'd call movies like "It's a Wonderful Life" Christian, just because it offers a good, heartwarming life lesson.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:47:52 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Newsmax's Top 25 Christian Films of All Time
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 06:35:47 pm »
Not sure I would call many of those "Christian Movies" in the same sense as God's Not Dead, Fireproof, War Room, Miracles from Heaven, Heaven is For real, and others - some of them very very successful at the box-office. But they are good movies with good morals, valuable life teachings and some true-life stories of some remarkable people.  On that list I loved, loved, loved Sophia Scholl -the Final Days and highly recommend seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5A4ETW_Io 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn