Author Topic: Hermine Should be a Hurricane by Tonight  (Read 2383 times)

Offline thackney

Hermine Should be a Hurricane by Tonight
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:31:39 pm »
Hermine Should be a Hurricane by Tonight
http://oilpro.com/post/27055/hermin-should-hurricane-tonight
9/1/2016

Tropical storm Hermine is gaining strength and headed straight toward Florida where she's expected to make landfall as a Category 1 hurricane tonight. Although the oil and gas infrastructure is mainly contained within the western and central GOM, the eastern platforms will still see some heavy weather.

{green above is offshore oil/gas platforms}
Oil & Gas platforms in the GOM
SOURCE: Gulf of Mexico Coastal Ocean Observing System

Ten of the 750 manned platforms and one of the 11 rigs in the GOM have been evacuated. Five DP rigs have moved off location out of the storm’s path as a precaution, according to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement.

Our thoughts and prayers are with anyone in the Gulf and any Floridians tonight as they brace for impact from this storm.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Hermine Should be a Hurricane by Tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:34:22 pm »
Interactive map with oil/gas facilities and storm data at:
http://gcoos.org/products/maps/petroleum/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:57:13 pm »
Yep, it's already getting fun around here!

:10444:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:58:41 pm »
Hope it steers east and goes out to sea sooner rather than later.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 06:09:21 pm »
I ain't skeered.  The weather dudes are just jerking off in hopes this thing speds up 10 more MPH so they can go into full on HURRICANE scare the public mode.   My new Yankee neighbors and a few morons from Cali are out putting on their Kevlar window covers!  I'm just shaking my head....

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »
I ain't skeered.  The weather dudes are just jerking off in hopes this thing speds up 10 more MPH so they can go into full on HURRICANE scare the public mode.   My new Yankee neighbors and a few morons from Cali are out putting on their Kevlar window covers!  I'm just shaking my head....

:silly: :silly:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 06:19:46 pm »

All the same, just be careful!
One of the worst we've had here, as you know, was just a tropical storm.
Allison.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:20:41 pm »
:silly: :silly:

Last fall the AF boys from Tindall or Eglin were bombing the living hell out of this little island they like to practice blowing stuff up.  Well the wind was just right so the "BOOMS" were extra loud and the sound waves were shaking the winders pertty good!..  The noods where all standing outside wondering where the epicenter of the quake was located. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:21:12 pm by Wingnut »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:21:42 pm »
Last fall the AF boys from Tindall or Eglin were bombing the living hell out of this little island they like to practice blowing stuff up.  Well the wind was just right so the "BOOMS" were extra loud and the sound waves were shaking the winders pertty good!..  The noods where all standing outside wondering where the epicenter of the quake was located.

Heh.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:38 pm »
Allison.

Thanks.  I kid about it.... but its movement is slowing down now.  I hate when they do that.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:23:00 pm by Wingnut »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27:04 pm »
Allison.

Back in '04 when hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne came through, Jeanne was the weakest but did the most damage because she was so slow moving.  50+ MPH winds for 24+ hours does a lot of damage.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 06:30:38 pm »
Back in '04 when hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne came through, Jeanne was the weakest but did the most damage because she was so slow moving.  50+ MPH winds for 24+ hours does a lot of damage.

IIRC, it was George W. Bush who did that to you, wasn't it?   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 06:31:49 pm »
I wouldn't mind at all if we got the rain up here (in southern NH) and even some wind. We currently have extreme drought conditions - about 3 inches of rain total since May 1st. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 06:32:00 pm »
IIRC, it was George W. Bush who did that to you, wasn't it?   ^-^

Everything was Bush's fault back then.... Jeb too.  :silly:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 06:32:25 pm »

Tropical storms/hurricanes don't mix well with noobs, either, as you have pointed out.
In the early Eighties, a lot of 'em in the Houston area, due to Carternomics, oil, etc..
Hurricane Alicia is about 2 days out, so my wife and I go to the grocery store to get bottled water, canned tuna, batteries, etc, and the shelves are about bare.
We got what we could and I was amazed at what I saw at the check out line.
One character had 12 dozen eggs and 4 each 2 liter bottles of Sprite, nothing else.
Another lady had a shopping cart full of frozen pizzas.
I told my wife, "We have got to get those two together somehow".
True story.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:33:26 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 06:34:01 pm »
Tropical storms/hurricanes don't mix well with noobs, either, as you have pointed out.
In the early Eighties, a lot of 'em in the Houston area, due to Carternomics, oil, etc..
Hurricane Alicia is about 2 days out, so my wife and I go to the grocery store to get bottled water, canned tuna, batteries, etc, and the shelves are about bare.
We got what we could and I was amazed at what I saw at the check out line.
One character had 12 dozen eggs and 4 each 2 liter bottles of Sprite, nothing else.
Another lady had a shopping cart full of frozen pizzas.
I told my wife, "We have got to get those two together somehow".
True story.

:silly:

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:35 pm »

My wife was sent to FL from Fort Worth after Charley for Cat duty and admin Emergency loans.  It was only supposed to be for 30-45 days.   She stayed for 8 months and evacuated 3 times.  Once each for Frances, Ivan and Jeane. 

Good times! :whistle:

Now my 1st Cane was in 1985 when we lived in Tampa.  31 years ogo this weekend.  Hurricane Elena.  A particularlly nasty little bitch of a storm.  It rained and the wind blew for 49 hours straight.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 06:56:08 pm »
My wife was sent to FL from Fort Worth after Charley for Cat duty and admin Emergency loans.  It was only supposed to be for 30-45 days.   She stayed for 8 months and evacuated 3 times.  Once each for Frances, Ivan and Jeane. 

Good times! :whistle:

Now my 1st Cane was in 1985 when we lived in Tampa.  31 years ogo this weekend.  Hurricane Elena.  A particularlly nasty little bitch of a storm.  It rained and the wind blew for 49 hours straight.

Yeah, the fast ones are usually easier to deal with even if they are stronger, unless you're in the wrong place that is.  I was living in Pinellas county back then.  Charley was supposed to be heading right for us but turned at the last minute to cause much havoc in Punta Gorda.