Author Topic: Pollsters fight to figure out Trump phenomenon  (Read 273 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pollsters fight to figure out Trump phenomenon
« on: September 01, 2016, 12:54:34 pm »
By Reid Wilson - 09/01/16 06:00 AM EDT

Pollsters are debating whether Donald Trump’s “silent majority” of voters exists, and are scrambling to make sure that their surveys reflect the opinions of voters who might not ordinarily be included in opinion polls.

Democratic and Republican pollsters alike are determined to get their predictions for the 2016 elections right in the wake of a series of high-profile missed calls.

Partisan claims of skewed results have also escalated, with Trump and his unconventional claim asserting that polls aren’t capturing the Republican nominee’s true support.

Trump claims his campaign will turn out millions of new or irregular voters in November, some of whom will be voting for the first time.

Some pollsters acknowledge the race presents some new challenges.

“We know some people who are traditionally seen as unlikely voters are going to vote,” said Nick Gourevitch, a partner at Global Strategy Group, which polls for Democratic candidates. “You need to take those people into account, and if you just lop those people off, you’re going to miss something.”

Modern public opinion polling is as much art as science.

The science comes in measuring the attitudes of the American electorate, and key demographic groups, in a statistically valid way. The art comes in defining just what that electorate will look like, and how much of a percentage of the electorate key demographic groups will make up.

Variations in those models can change the outcome of a poll.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/294018-pollsters-fight-to-figure-out-the-trump-phenomenon
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline unknown

Re: Pollsters fight to figure out Trump phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 04:57:46 pm »

The Brexit polling is a really good example of polling that was way off. They are still trying to figure out how the polling was so far off.

Not that this will always happen, but the polling could be way off here with the US election - either direction.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)