Author Topic: Donald Trump Eases Terms on Immigration, Trade After Meeting With Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto  (Read 1189 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Don!

MEXICO CITY— Donald Trump eased his rhetoric on signature campaign promises regarding trade and immigration following a meeting Wednesday with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

The Republican presidential nominee, who has promised to make Mexico pay for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, said Wednesday that the wall is “a shared objective.” Mr. Trump said he didn’t discuss who would pay for the wall during his meeting with Mr. Peña Nieto, which lasted about an hour....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-eases-terms-on-immigration-trade-after-meeting-with-mexican-president-enrique-pena-nieto-1472677336

Offline Vulcan

Offline ArneFufkin

I don't mind him flip-flopping if it results in a more rational and politically achievable policy outcome.

Offline dfwgator

I don't mind him flip-flopping if it results in a more rational and politically achievable policy outcome.
The "Art of the Deal" is all about making compromises, but in a manner that in the end, you still get most of what you want.

To hit the Moon, you have to reach for the stars.

Offline sinkspur

Enrique Peña Nieto
‏@EPN
Al inicio de la conversación con Donald Trump dejé claro que México no pagará por el muro.

Translation: "At the beginning of the conversation with Donald Trump I made it clear that Mexico will not pay for the wall."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

The "Art of the Deal" is all about making compromises, but in a manner that in the end, you still get most of what you want.

To hit the Moon, you have to reach for the stars.

It appears Mexico is NOT going to pay for the wall, according to Nieto.

Trump will have to take land from Texas ranchers, and they'd fight him in court for years. In addition, only about half of the border would allow for a physical wall, which is why his own spokespeople have been talking more and more about a "virtual" wall. 

In addition, Trump is not going to deport 11 million people, and everybody knows it.

Offline dfwgator

Trump will have to take land from Texas ranchers, and they'd fight him in court for years. In addition, only about half of the border would allow for a physical wall, which is why his own spokespeople have been talking more and more about a "virtual" wall. 

In addition, Trump is not going to deport 11 million people, and everybody knows it.
If he gets them to self-deport, then that's a win.

Offline sinkspur

If he gets them to self-deport, then that's a win.

He's not talking about self-deporting though. He's talked about rounding up 11 million and driving them over the border.

He needs Congress to do most of this and they've shown they're not going to roll over for any president on immigration.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.

Trump never had any intention of building a wall or deporting anyone.  He was lying in order to dupe voters into supporting him.  It worked in too many and we ended up with a LOUSY candidate in a winnable election. 

Offline mrclose

Trump never had any intention of building a wall or deporting anyone.  He was lying in order to dupe voters into supporting him.  It worked in too many and we ended up with a LOUSY candidate in a winnable election.

I am so sorry to inform you ... This guy doesn't agree! :silly:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:51:01 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Vulcan

Trump never had any intention of building a wall or deporting anyone.  He was lying in order to dupe voters into supporting him. 

Exactly.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
When he said he would bring jobs back to America he didn't specify North, Central or South.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Of course.  Sound policy is what matters.  This isn't a flippin' game show. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline BuckeyeTexan

Quite a few Trump supporters are counting on those things.  Won't they be surprised?
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle