Author Topic: Scientists Show Conspiracy Theorists Will Believe Anything  (Read 5338 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Scientists Show Conspiracy Theorists Will Believe Anything
« on: August 30, 2016, 12:19:30 pm »
I’ve spoken in the past about how social media can be used to further pseudoscientific thinking, and now there’s yet another study that shows that Facebook conspiracy theorists live in an echo chamber, and apparently can’t tell when they’re being made fun of.

Italian researchers demonstrated this by looking at thousands of users who interacted with either science news pages or conspiracy theory pages on Facebook, finding that the vast majority of the people commenting on conspiracy theory pages never actually interacted with any other kind of page. So: echo chamber......

http://skepchick.org/2015/05/no-shit-study-scientists-show-conspiracy-theorists-will-believe-anything/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Scientists Show Conspiracy Theorists Will Believe Anything
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »
Conspiracy theories are a political tool these days.

You can encourage a conspiracy theory to make the other side look like fools for believing them. You can use them to frighten your own side into remaining on the plantation.

Cass Sunstein wrote extensively on the use of conspiracy theories in politics. He's a progressive scumbag but he's smart enough to know that there is a sizable percentage of the American public that desperately wants to believe that they're privy to some great secret. Unfortunately being privy to the "great secret" tends to make people resistant to even the most obvious truths.

For instance, at TOS there were a lot of posts about "secret" military operations here in Michigan a couple years ago. I went and posted several news stories from weeks and months prior that alerted people that the military would be doing it. Those stories were ignored by virtually everyone because they had already decided that they were in on the great secret.

The Ancient Aliens guy has made a living by directing viewers away from obvious facts and suggesting fanciful explanations completely devoid of fact. Just because we don't know every detail of how the pyramids were built doesn't mean there is anything to suggest alien help. The fact is we do know a great deal about their stoneworking methods and how they got straight lines and alignments.

Someone once challenged me with the question, "Why can't we build pyramids today?" The fact is that pyramids are a common modern architectural design used wherever they're needed. They aren't built of stone as stand alone structures because that would be a waste of time, money, and material.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »
Obviously this study was a CFR-Illuminati-Freemason conspiracy to discredit conspiracy theorists.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:54 pm »
Obviously this study was a CFR-Illuminati-Freemason conspiracy to discredit conspiracy theorists.
And is thus further proof of the deep and vast conspiracy at work.  :tinfoil:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 04:42:04 pm »

You can encourage a conspiracy theory to make the other side look like fools for believing them. You can use them to frighten your own side into remaining on the plantation.

Cass Sunstein wrote extensively on the use of conspiracy theories in politics. He's a progressive scumbag but he's smart enough to know that there is a sizable percentage of the American public that desperately wants to believe that they're privy to some great secret. Unfortunately being privy to the "great secret" tends to make people resistant to even the most obvious truths.

For instance, at TOS there were a lot of posts about "secret" military operations here in Michigan a couple years ago. I went and posted several news stories from weeks and months prior that alerted people that the military would be doing it. Those stories were ignored by virtually everyone because they had already decided that they were in on the great secret.

Absolutely!

The real conspiracy is in the story. You can control more people and influence more behavior with a good story than with most of the things the conspiracy theorists are afraid of.

Plus, a story is cheap and less messy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:42:46 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 04:46:56 pm »

The Ancient Aliens guy has made a living by directing viewers away from obvious facts and suggesting fanciful explanations completely devoid of fact. Just because we don't know every detail of how the pyramids were built doesn't mean there is anything to suggest alien help. The fact is we do know a great deal about their stoneworking methods and how they got straight lines and alignments.

Someone once challenged me with the question, "Why can't we build pyramids today?" The fact is that pyramids are a common modern architectural design used wherever they're needed. They aren't built of stone as stand alone structures because that would be a waste of time, money, and material.
Well said, but you left one out:

If a crime (for want of a better term) is so outrageous and complicated that it sounds like a 'conspiracy theory', the chances of pooh-poohing any investigation as just 'chasing conspiracy theory' and decrying whistleblowers as nutjobs increase substantially.

Elaborate criminal conspiracies, especially those in higher echelons of government(s) would thus enjoy the screen of disbelief and deniability engendered by the desire to not appear a whackjob for even investigating them, and would be disbelieved in the press for the outrageous nature and level of criminal activity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:50:21 pm »

When they say that, point to the Three Gorges Dam in China. Taller than the Great Pyramid (175m versus 138m), longer than all the Gaza pyramids if they were put side by side, and actually serves a functional purpose of powering a large portion of that country.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:52:20 pm »
When they say that, point to the Three Gorges Dam in China. Taller than the Great Pyramid (175m versus 138m), longer than all the Gaza pyramids if they were put side by side, and actually serves a functional purpose of powering a large portion of that country.

Yes, but it's made of Chinese concrete...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 01:07:40 am »
@AbaraXas @Cripplecreek

Gonna be a big mess sooner than later.  If it is anything like Chinese sheetrock. I was talking with a woman yesterday about her cabinets and she told me about the problems they were having trying to repaint. She said the paint would peel in sheets down to the sheetrock. I told her it must be something in the sheetrock. She said her house was built in 2006. Yep. Chinese sheetrock.

The pyramids have lasted 36000 years. Don't think that dam will.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 01:12:01 am »
experiment: Make up a conspiracy theory and send it out on Twitter and Facebook to other conspiracy theorists and watch it grow without water or sunlight

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:18 am »

So what are you saying?  The Three Gorges Dam was constructed with the help of aliens?  I knew it!

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:21:47 am »
experiment: Make up a conspiracy theory and send it out on Twitter and Facebook to other conspiracy theorists and watch it grow without water or sunlight

Sounds like a fun game.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:06 am »
So what are you saying?  The Three Gorges Dam was constructed with the help of aliens?  I knew it!

I don't have any evidence that it wasn't.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 01:29:28 am »
@AbaraXas  @Smokin Joe @Cripplecreek

NORKS

Anyways, I hear tell that so many people fell into the continuous pour that everywhere you go there, day or night, there is a keening roar from the aggregate crowd.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 01:31:52 am »

NORKS

Anyways, I hear tell that so many people fell into the continuous pour that everywhere you go there, day or night, there is a keening roar from the aggregate crowd.

Irregal Arians?

HonestJohn

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 01:33:47 am »

The Great Wall is still around...

...and some of it's westernmost pieces were made of just dirt, using the rammed earth technique.

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 01:42:04 am »

Pokemon Go...

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9tpcip/the-nightly-show-with-larry-wilmore-mike-yard-s-the-y-files----pokemon-go--conspiracy

HonestJohn

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 01:43:24 am »
I don't have any evidence that it wasn't.

It was constructed by Reptiloids from the center of the earth.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 01:47:41 am »
Sounds like a fun game.
@geronl

You people know Ted Cruz is really Donald and Hillary's love child. So when Donald says to Ted "YOU LITTLE BASTARD!" he means it in a loving sort of way.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 01:49:30 am »

NORKS

>groan< Li bar?

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 01:51:00 am »
The Great Wall is still around...

...and some of it's westernmost pieces were made of just dirt, using the rammed earth technique.
See what happens when you are too poor to pile rocks? 

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:51:46 am »
It was constructed by Reptiloids from the center of the earth.
Dagnabbit! There goes the 'magic bean' theory...

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 01:52:24 am »
Pokemon Go...

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9tpcip/the-nightly-show-with-larry-wilmore-mike-yard-s-the-y-files----pokemon-go--conspiracy

A neighbor girl told my grandson, just turned 7, that a pedophile hacker was in the app "Talking Tom Cat" so now my g-son is all kinds of freaked out.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 01:55:32 am »
A neighbor girl told my grandson, just turned 7, that a pedophile hacker was in the app "Talking Tom Cat" so now my g-son is all kinds of freaked out.
My oldest great granddaughter used to really, really, really like 'hello kitty' until one day she saw the 'o' covered up. She hasn't been so enthusiastic since, and is off now on a 'my little pony' kick.

C S Lewis