Author Topic: Photo Sharing: Lower Manhattan Skyline on the Eve of the 15th 9/11 Anniversary  (Read 1462 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

As we approach the 15th anniversary of 9/11, I just wanted to share with you all some pictures I took last night of the new skyline of lower Manhattan, as seen from Jersey City, NJ.  My wife and I have spent the last few days visiting my family on the occasion of my brother-in-law's 50th birthday.

Last night, we went to dinner at a restaurant in Jersey City, and afterwards drove down to the riverfront for a truly remarkable view of lower Manhattan. I have not visited the WTC site since I worked there almost 30 years ago (South Tower, floor 79).

I have been to Manhattan a few times since I moved back to New England, but have not yet made a sojourn to the memorial site. On our next visit, we will go there, but even this vantage point brought a flood of memories, and I am not ashamed to admit, a few tears. Click on each for a larger view. And never, ever forget.

The new skyline of lower Manhattan, with the Freedom Tower rising above.

An American flag hangs from a twisted metal support beam from one of the towers, adorned by small personal items from visitors.

A granite memorial stands at the water's edge, etched with an image of the former skyline.     
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

Wow, that third photo is particularly touching.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org