Author Topic: Roma Flee Ukrainian Village After Mob Attack Over Killing Of 9-Year-Old Girl  (Read 662 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Roma Flee Ukrainian Village After Mob Attack Over Killing Of 9-Year-Old Girl

Scores of Roma have fled from a southern Ukrainian village after residents torched one Romany home and demanded authorities evict all Romany families from the area following the killing of a 9-year-old girl.

Amid soaring tensions, residents and local officials said they would provide a “safe corridor” on August 29 for Romany families to leave the village of Loshchynivka, near Odesa. However, the eviction operation was called off after some 40 of the village’s total population of 50 Roma left on their own overnight, carrying only essential items and leaving most of their belongings behind.

The expulsion threat came after scores of villagers attacked Roma homes following the killing and suspected rape of the girl, who was not from the Romany community. Only two Romany families remained in the village on August 29 -- one of them the family of the suspected attacker, a 21-year-old Romany man who has not been publicly identified and who denies any guilt.

The outbreak of communal violence underscores the tense conditions under which many Roma in Ukraine continue to live at the margins of Ukrainian society. In Loshchynivka, as in many other places in Ukraine where Roma are present, the Roma live in rented and often dilapidated buildings on the outskirts of town and are largely mistrusted and feared by members of other ethnic groups.

Read More At: http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraine-romany-roma-killing-loshchynivka/27952958.html

Offline livius

Roma are Gypsies, and yes, they do indeed have a very high crime problem. Since the Balkan Wars, Europe has been flooded with Eastern European Roma, most of whom make their living by a mixture of begging, drug sales and street crime.  Places like Spain have long had a Gypsy population, for some 500 years since the people now known as Gypsies fled from some place in India, probably fleeing the Muslims. But the Romanians (Eastern European Roma who are frequently known as Rumanos or Romanians in Spain and elsewhere) have brought a whole new level of crime to the native Gypsy population.

Even regular, non-violent criminal Gypsies can drive you crazy with their begging, whining and pickpocketing. I was just in a small city in central Spain, where I saw one elderly begging lady - clothed from head to toe in black, of course - get dropped off in a Jag at her begging church by her son or some other younger male family member who was behind the wheel!  It wasn't even a Beemer...it was a Jag.
So they do pretty well on their welfare benefits and begging haul. 

That said, I doubt that the Gypsies as a group had anything to do with the death of this girl, and probably the individual charged didn't either, since it wouldn't be typical of Gypsy crime, which is usually pretty practical and aimed at getting money. In fact, if he did it, he'd probably be dead meat to the other Gypsies.

Offline dfwgator

But the Romanians (Eastern European Roma who are frequently known as Rumanos or Romanians in Spain and elsewhere) have brought a whole new level of crime to the native Gypsy population.

Romanians are not Roma, it makes me angry when I see people assume that.