Author Topic: Collection of paintings of the P&LE around Pittsburgh  (Read 717 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Collection of paintings of the P&LE around Pittsburgh
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:58:59 pm »
Dear Readers,

This is not a published article per se, but I thought it might be worth posting in the "History" forum.

Howard Fogg was an illustrator/painter who did a lot of railroad-related subjects. In the mid-50's he was commissioned by John Barringer, then president of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie railroad, to do a series of paintings of P&LE operations around the Pittsburgh area.

Just about all of these are railroad-centric.... BUT.... take a look at the industrial might which existed back then! Huge factories, works, mills -- almost the epicenter of American strength. Breathtaking panaromas of the industrial heartland.

And it was more than that. This is where our working/middle class came from. Take away such opportunities, and whence the livelihoods that these industries provided?

This is the "America" that was, once. If you're older (like me) you may even remember it.
Where did it go?
Could any of it be brought back?

Not every pic in this series is of Pittsburgh, there are some paintings of the New York Central RR in its heyday as well. Even some territory that I worked as an engineer in my railroad career (such as the Hudson line at Staatsburg, NY)

Save this link for when you have some time to browse and reflect.
Let the pictures load.
And remember back to when America really once was "great"!

http://www.silogic.com/trains/P&LE%20Postcards%20by%20Howard%20Fogg.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:01:40 pm by Fishrrman »