Author Topic: 1st Look at World War II-Era Aircraft Carrier Sunk in the Pacific  (Read 956 times)

rangerrebew

1st Look at World War II-Era Aircraft Carrier Sunk in the Pacific
By Charles Q. Choi, Live Science Contributor | August 23, 2016 03:33pm ET

97 13 1 0 721 MORE

Partner Series

More than 60 years after a World War II-era aircraft carrier sunk to the bottom of the sea, the word "Independence" could still be made out on its surface. By exploring the wreck with robotic subs, scientists are getting their first look at this decades-old ship, which was a target during atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll in the Pacific in the 1940s.

The exploration is already revealing secrets: Scientists operating the underwater robot discovered a fighter plane within the sunken aircraft carrier that, according to records, should not have been there. In addition, atomic blasts had caused significant damage to the carrier, which scientists mapped on this underwater mission.

http://www.livescience.com/55858-dive-reveals-secrets-uss-independence-wreck.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:51:23 am by rangerrebew »

geronl

Re: 1st Look at World War II-Era Aircraft Carrier Sunk in the Pacific
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:18:05 am »
Always cool

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 02:48:12 am »
Always cool

I've dove on the USS Speigel Grove.  Not a carrier and not anywhere close to this deep.   Fishes love em
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 03:11:20 am »
I've dove on the USS Speigel Grove.  Not a carrier and not anywhere close to this deep.   Fishes love em

It is interesting to read that an F6F Hellcat was "trapped in the forward elevator" when all the docs said (according to the story) there were no planes.