Author Topic: Sean Hannity has given Donald Trump $31 million in free coverage, reports Media Matters  (Read 973 times)

Offline libertybele

Amazing that FOX hasn't cancelled Hannity's show.  I think Beck is correct; Donny will start his own network and Hannity will be his sidekick.

Sean Hannity has given Donald Trump $31 million in free coverage, reports Media Matters

Fox News host and Donald Trump hype man Sean Hannity’s election coverage has given the Trump campaign the equivalent of $31 million in free advertising, according to Media Matters.

As a reference point, Trump’s campaign has spent a total of just $4.3 million on television ad buys to date, paling in comparison to the $68.2 million spent by the Hillary Clinton campaign.

Trump’s success in the Republican primaries despite running one of the most ad-anemic campaigns in recent memory was in large part attributable to his unparalleled ability to generate earned media coverage. The New York Times found that Trump received nearly $2 billion in free news coverage during the primary cycle, more earned media than all of his Republican competitors combined.

Obviously, not all of Trump’s free coverage has been sympathetic, but Hannity’s prime-time Fox News program has been a consistently sympathetic venue for Trump, drawing criticism from liberals and conservatives alike. According to Media Matters’ analysis, since the launch of Trump’s campaign Hannity has devoted over 22 hours of airtime to interviews with the candidate.

In his interviews with Trump, Hannity has often served as little more than a sympathetic foil, setting up Trump to deliver talking point with minimal scrutiny. For example (as Salon’s Simon Maloy previously pointed out) Trump appeared on Hannity’s program in the wake of his controversial comments about Judge Gonzalo Curiel, where he had the opportunity respond to softball questions like these:

Mr. Trump, I know you released a lengthy statement today as it relates to the whole Trump University case. Included in that is a website where people can look at the comments, the approval of all the students that liked your course. Two questions regarding this: one, do you think you should have stuck to the politics of the case, where the judge clearly has a political agenda? And do you regret that at all?

...In addition to contributing favorable coverage, the New York Times reported this week that Hannity has acted as an informal adviser to the Trump campaign, providing “Trump, his family members and advisers with suggestions on strategy and messaging.”...

http://www.salon.com/2016/08/24/sean-hannity-has-given-donald-trump-31-million-in-free-coverage-reports-media-matters/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

How much free coverage has the MSM given Cankles?  I bet it's a heckuva lot more than $31 million.

Offline musiclady

This assumes that anyone still watches Hannity.

He's lost a LOT of viewers with his Trump-love.  Probably only the already devoted still watching.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This assumes that anyone still watches Hannity.

He's lost a LOT of viewers with his Trump-love.  Probably only the already devoted still watching.

His TV show is getting record viewers. His town hall the other night set a record. Trump people are like those obsessed over Dancing with Honey Boo Boo's Duck Idol. Whenever he is on, they'll flock.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I don't trust media matters but in this case we already knew the media (Primarily FOX) went above and beyond for St Tangelo.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I stopped reading at Media Matters, the same organization that has engaged in active movements to destroy conservative talk radio by threatening its advertisers.

Hannity may be a stooge, but I don't trust those goons to tell the truth if their lives depended on it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

His TV show is getting record viewers. His town hall the other night set a record. Trump people are like those obsessed over Dancing with Honey Boo Boo's Duck Idol. Whenever he is on, they'll flock.

I didn't think about that aspect of it.  They're not getting serious viewers, just gawkers.

In the end, though, I believe Hannity has lost all credibility as a 'fair and balanced' TV host.   Once the election is over and Trump has lost, he won't have much left.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cripplecreek

I stopped reading at Media Matters, the same organization that has engaged in active movements to destroy conservative talk radio by threatening its advertisers.

Hannity may be a stooge, but I don't trust those goons to tell the truth if their lives depended on it.

Yeah, you don't need to risk a Fecal Matters infection to recognize it as the truth.

Just look at the way Trump managed to give Trump a full hour the night before a primary again and again and again.

Offline skeeter

Yeah, you don't need to risk a Fecal Matters infection to recognize it as the truth.

Just look at the way Trump managed to give Trump a full hour the night before a primary again and again and again.

I can't hear Hannity's voice without imagining him perched on the edge of his stool, earnest and worshipful when he interviewed Trump.

I thought he'd wet himself when Trump told him 'yeah as president I'd take a look at that', referring to Hannity's monotonous "Penny Plan'.

Offline Cripplecreek

I can't hear Hannity's voice without imagining him perched on the edge of his stool, earnest and worshipful when he interviewed Trump.

I thought he'd wet himself when Trump told him 'yeah as president I'd take a look at that', referring to Hannity's monotonous "Penny Plan'.

Hannity is Trump's Gimp.

Offline jedidah

How much free coverage has the MSM given Cankles?  I bet it's a heckuva lot more than $31 million.

I don't think so.  She seems to be hiding from the cameras.  Even recent live interviews have been by phone.

Hannity, on the other hand, gives Trump multiple programs.  I would assume he's offered the same to Hillary.  He'd be in real mess if she took him up on it.