Author Topic: Lucille Ball's Very First Los Angeles Home Is for Sale  (Read 426 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Lucille Ball's Very First Los Angeles Home Is for Sale
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:23:41 pm »
Lauren Smith
House Beautiful
August 24, 2016

Back in 1933, a 22-year-old Lucille Ball had just landed her first movie role in Roman Scandals and signed a contract with RKO. What's a soon-to-be movie star to do? Buy a house, of course. Which is why she snatched up this bungalow on the border of West Hollywood so she could be close to all the action.
More, with pictures

California Ping

Please click here to be added to or removed from the California Ping List.  ^-^

@American Patriot
@bootless
@flowers
@Ginger Republic
@GtHawk
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@Machiavelli
@Meshuge Mikey
@Mr McBeevee
@pogo101
@skeeter
@SZonian
@The Jackal
@truth_seeker

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

Re: Lucille Ball's Very First Los Angeles Home Is for Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:10 pm »
@Machiavelli

Interesting.  I saw were Eve Plumb (of The Brady Bunch) recently put her house (bought when she was 11) up for sale.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Re: Lucille Ball's Very First Los Angeles Home Is for Sale
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:41:56 pm »
I like the house as it has been renovated - the interiors, the decorating and the style of the house, but 1,874-square ft. 2 bedroom - 2 bath bungalow for $1.75 million? I guess it has a lot to do with the location – being in West Hollywood.

I do enjoy watching some of those home improvement / house flipping shows / house hunting shows, even though I know, as are all “reality shows”, that they are scripted, staged, plenty of obviously fake drama (especially on Flipping Vegas), and not at all realistic.

https://investfourmore.com/2015/12/01/how-accurate-are-television-house-flipping-shows/

:pondering:

But it amazes me, if true, the prices that some of the houses, some in really bad shape, sell for pre and post renovation. But it all depends on the area of the country.  I also notice that many of these shows like Property Brothers and Love It Or List it are made in Canada – the Toronto area I believe which seems to be very expensive.

But my favorite right now is Fixer Upper - Chip and Joanna Gaines. They seem to be a nice couple and are out of Waco, Texas and the home prices there seem pretty reasonable and I like a lot of their renovations. OTHO, the show Flip or Flop, another husband and wife team is out of LA and the house prices are out of this world.

The other shows I watch but that sort of cracks me up is House Hunters and House Hunters International.  The house hunters often have a wish list that is way beyond their budget and we are to believe that they only view and get to choose among 3 properties. The last two times I was house hunting I saw dozens of properties and over the course of several weeks or months. I took my husband and I nearly a year and three real estate agents before we found our first home that we ended up buying.

A few weeks ago I had dinner with my nephew and his wife and we got to talking about these shows and we stated out talking the “Tiny House” shows, and one in particular where the couple with two kids turned down one “tiny house” because at 400 sq. ft. it was “too large”.

But then I said that on just about every house renovation show, and on just about every house buyer’s wish list is an “open concept” floor plan. And there is a lot of time and expense in knocking down walls, sometimes requiring installing a structural support beam(s) to make that open floor plan happen.

But then I said that I could imagine that all these renovations plus the new builds with these open floor plans, that say 20-30 years from now, I could imagine home buyers and home improvement or house flipping shows going into one and shaking their heads at the “dated” open floor plan and saying, “what we need to do is put some walls up, make the rooms more segmented and more cozy. And let’s get rid of these dated stainless steel appliances and put in some “avocado” colored ones, rip out those dated granite counter tops and then let’s cover that hideous wood flooring with some deep shag carpeting.”

:whistle: :silly:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause