Author Topic: Biden: ‘Terrorism Is Not An Existential Threat’ to America  (Read 1129 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden: ‘Terrorism Is Not An Existential Threat’ to America
By Lauretta Brown | August 23, 2016 | 2:58 PM EDT

Vice President Joe Biden said in an interview with the Atlantic on Monday that while “terrorism is a real threat … it’s not an existential threat to the existence of the democratic country of the United States of America.”

Biden spoke with the Atlantic about his approach to foreign policy, arguing that Americans tend to over-react to the “wolf at the door” without recognizing that there are other wolves out in the field.

“My dad used to say to me, ‘Champ, if everything is equally important to you, nothing is important to you,’” Biden said. “So the hardest thing to do, I’ve found in 44 years, is to prioritize what really are the most consequential threats and concerns, and allocate resources relative to the nature of the threat.”

more
http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/lauretta-brown/biden-terrorism-not-existential-threat-america
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Biden: ‘Terrorism Is Not An Existential Threat’ to America
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:11:57 pm »
Biden is such an idiot, I doubt he even knows what existential means, he's like Gilligan but not as smart. I had a teacher that would have described him like this, " Poor Joe, when God was giving out smarts he thought he said farts and ran away and hid". "When God was giving out brains he thought he said rain, so ran home for a umbrella".

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »
This is what it means to be a liberal Progressive: a violent, transnational Islamic radicalism that preaches world conquest and death to unbelievers is not an existential threat.... but "global warming" is.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline r9etb

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:25 pm »
This is what it means to be a liberal Progressive: a violent, transnational Islamic radicalism that preaches world conquest and death to unbelievers is not an existential threat.... but "global warming" is.

Well.... he's sort of right, actually.

An "existential threat" is one that, if threat becomes reality, destroys the object of the threat.  The Civil War could be called an existential threat (it obviously was to the Confederacy).  The national debt could well become an existential threat.  WWII was an existential threat to most of the nations involved in it (less so the US, unless and until Britain and Russia were to fall).

Whereas occasional terrorist attacks, while terrible, would not cause the US to collapse.

Where Biden is wrong, is in leaving the discussion at the level of "terrorism," without actually going to the trouble of identifying who is doing the terrorism, and why.  I can understand why he (and the rest of the left) are leery of tying "terrorism" to a certain brand of Islam: it would be wrong to condemn all Muslims for the actions of ISIS, for example -- and one of ISIS's goals is precisely to get us to use the broad brush against all Muslims.

But their avoidance of even mentioning "militant Islam" is a problem in itself, as it prevents us from (officially) engaging a dangerous enemy.  The spread of militant Islam is not yet an existential threat.  But (like Nazism) it could certainly become one if its spread is not acknowledged and checked.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 01:10:18 am »
Biden: ‘Terrorism Is Not An Existential Threat’ to America

Gonna say that I actually concur with ol' Joe on this statement.

Terrorism, per se, is by and of itself not-so-much an "existential" threat to America.

islam, however, -IS- an existential threat, not only to America, but to everwhere else in dar al-harb.

A gopbriefingroom quiz question:
Which of the following represented "an existential threat' to the USA in December 1941:
a. Dive-bombing techniques of Japanese planes
b. Japanese imperialism and shintoism

Mark your answer here _________

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:25:08 am »
Biden is such an idiot, I doubt he even knows what existential means, he's like Gilligan but not as smart. I had a teacher that would have described him like this, " Poor Joe, when God was giving out smarts he thought he said farts and ran away and hid". "When God was giving out brains he thought he said rain, so ran home for a umbrella".

I think Joe looks and acts more like the Captain.  Excitable, goofy and is supposed to be directing the voyage, but got lost and foundered the craft, without a clue of what to do about it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 01:28:13 am »
But their avoidance of even mentioning "militant Islam" is a problem in itself, as it prevents us from (officially) engaging a dangerous enemy.  The spread of militant Islam is not yet an existential threat.  But (like Nazism) it could certainly become one if its spread is not acknowledged and checked.

Terrorism is a mere tactic, not a plan. It is designed to weaken resolve in the service of far more comprehensive objectives. Iran, with the assistance of Russia, has already built fully-functional ICBMs and is rapidly developing large quantities of fissionable nuclear material via tens of thousands of centrifuges that they themselves insist will be directed against their stated enemies. I would consider that to be an existential threat.

ISIS has its agents spreading daily throughout the world, courtesy of unsecured borders. Likewise, I would consider that to be an existential threat. Sadly, both history and human nature suggest that we will do nothing until the threat is made manifest. And even then: do you trust Western governments, as presently constituted, to act in the face of actual attack, and not mere provocation?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:31:39 am »
I think Joe looks and acts more like the Captain.  Excitable, goofy and is supposed to be directing the voyage, but got lost and foundered the craft, without a clue of what to do about it.
I know I shouldn't, but that's never stopped me before. Would that make Trump the self absorbed, egotistical rich dude?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »
I know I shouldn't, but that's never stopped me before. Would that make Trump the self absorbed, egotistical rich dude?

Excellent.  Self-absorbed in his own vanities, attentive to his wife, longing for the good life.  Hardly aware he is stranded maybe lost forever.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington