Author Topic: Is Donald Trump More Conservative Than Conservatives?  (Read 6238 times)

Offline unknown

Is Donald Trump More Conservative Than Conservatives?
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:35 pm »

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/08/is_donald_trump_more_conservative_than_conservatives.html

August 22, 2016
Brett Graham Fawcett

I.
The backlash against Donald Trump from a lot of groups is predictable, but one of the more interesting cases of this reaction is from the conservative intelligentsia.

Trump's sins against conservatism are, they tell us, that he is not pro-liberty enough.  His proposals, from the infamous wall to a potential tax on imported goods, all smack of statism, rather than the crystalline purity of the free market and all its attendant liberties.

But what this criticism conceals is the fact that, broadly speaking, there are two major strains, or streams, of tradition within what is commonly called "conservatism."  One may be called the "capitalist" strain, which extols liberty as the highest good in and of itself.  The other may perhaps be called the "localist" tradition, which views liberty as a means rather than an end, and not always a good in itself.  The localist tradition extols the family, the community, and, by extension, the nation as the highest social good, with liberty as its handmaid.

In this article, I will not defend either of these two traditions.  Nevertheless, I will argue that, for better or for worse, the localist tradition is the more "original" conservatism, and the Trump phenomenon represents a kind of conservatism within conservatism.

{.. snip ..}

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: Is Donald Trump More Conservative Than Conservatives?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:45:05 pm »

{.. snip ..}

Wait, wait, I know this one!  The answer is: "No, he isn't."
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »
There is not one single thing about Donald Judas Trump that is conservative.

Not one.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:12 pm »

Trump is not a Conservative of ANY stripe, else his defenders would be able to defend him as such.

Trump is a NYC liberal - The quintessential opposite of Conservative.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:45 pm »

Not one.

Ooh, ooh, ooh ooh.

Let me, let me...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:21 pm »

Not one.

Judas?

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:51 pm »
:bigsilly:

geronl

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:21 pm »
Judas?

Whatever his middle name is, I keep mixing it up. Judas, Jong-Il, Johnjacobjigglehimmlerschmidt or something....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:53:38 pm by geronl »

Offline Fantom

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:54:42 pm »

Well done.    :beer:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:54:46 pm »
What a day, what a day.

We have arguments against the Constitution (and adhering to it is being slammed as a 'Constitution worshiper), a proponent of John Calhoun's concurrent majority, and now a twisted argument that somehow an authoritarian activist government is more Conservative.

Orwell would have a field day with this.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 09:55:33 pm »
Whatever his middle name is, I keep mixing it up. Judas, Jong-Il, Johnjacobjigglehimmlerschmidt or something....

Yes, of course, that explains it.  You are usually mixed up.

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:46 pm »
The author is a social justice advocate (along the lines of Pope Francis).
https://ethikapolitika.org/2015/03/12/the-failure-of-catholic-social-thought-in-alberta/

Wow..

Looking through his articles, I also don't think he views Conservatism as a positive which gives a different light to the OP's post.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:55 pm »

Offline Fantom

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 10:01:10 pm »
What a day, what a day.

We have arguments against the Constitution (and adhering to it is being slammed as a 'Constitution worshiper), a proponent of John Calhoun's concurrent majority, and now a twisted argument that somehow an authoritarian activist government is more Conservative.

Right, certainly the  way to influence people and change minds.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:41 pm »
Right, certainly the  way to influence people and change minds.

One of the earlier articles I saw, I honestly thought that the Trump camp was being trolled, but digging a bit, they were actually positively advocating the authoritarian, tyranny of the masses over individual rights, position as though it was a good thing.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:43 pm »

Loyalty to one man is now the definition of patriotism.... divine right of Trump?

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:22 pm »
One of the earlier articles I saw, I honestly thought that the Trump camp was being trolled, but digging a bit, they were actually positively advocating the authoritarian, tyranny of the masses over individual rights, position as though it was a good thing.

They've long said - though they won't admit it - that they want a strong man, a caudillo, to rule with an iron fist.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 10:07:11 pm »
They've long said - though they won't admit it - that they want a strong man, a caudillo, to rule with an iron fist.

They might as well admit it, they've pretty much already said it

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 10:08:16 pm »
Yep, looking through this guy's articles, he does not believe More Conservative Than Conservatives is a positive thing. His writing indicates he is anti-Trump.  https://ethikapolitika.org/2016/05/10/benedict-option-cause-donald-trump/ 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:15 pm »

:raise hand:  :raise hand:   :raise hand:

No fair!  I knew it too!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 10:12:14 pm »
Yep, looking through this guy's articles, he does not believe More Conservative Than Conservatives is a positive thing. His writing indicates he is anti-Trump.  https://ethikapolitika.org/2016/05/10/benedict-option-cause-donald-trump/ 

How amusing.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 10:12:38 pm »
They might as well admit it, they've pretty much already said it

Clearly and repeatedly.

We want OUR thug in the White House.

Doesn't matter that he doesn't actually believe a thing we do.  He's still OUR thug....     **nononono*

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 10:13:20 pm »

Hmm, an authoritarian form of government led by a strong-man dictator, very nationalistic, using the power of government to reward favored businesses and punish out-of-favor businesses, all while the liberty of the individual is more and more restricted... now, where have I heard of that type of government before?  :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 10:13:43 pm »

Apparently "unknown" is also "unknowing."

(Not that that wasn't obvious from the beginning...... )

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 10:14:29 pm »
Hmm, an authoritarian form of government led by a strong-man dictator, very nationalistic, using the power of government to reward favored businesses and punish out-of-favor businesses, all while the liberty of the individual is more and more restricted... now, where have I heard of that type of government before?  :pondering:

Yes indeed.  :pondering: