Author Topic: Is Donald Trump More Conservative Than Conservatives?  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Is Donald Trump More Conservative Than Conservatives?
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 02:54:57 am »
In this article, I will not defend either of these two traditions.  Nevertheless, I will argue that, for better or for worse, the localist tradition is the more "original" conservatism, and the Trump phenomenon represents a kind of conservatism within conservatism.

{.. snip ..}

In other words, we have to play semantic games and say it's okay that he throws liberty to the back seat because it was once called 'conservatism'.  Well, "gay" meant different things at different times, but that doesn't mean someone is homosexual for being happy!

Regardless of what you call it, I don't want a big-government, anti-liberty authoritarian!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 03:00:38 am »
I can respect that decision. I still cannot sign my name onto Trump though, but living in a state that Hillary will easily win no matter what I do,  I will vote my conscience, and use my right to write-in. Then vote the down ballot.

If Texas was 50-50 I still wouldn't vote for either

Offline libertybele

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 03:03:06 am »
In answer to the question; "Is Donald Trump more conservative than conservatives?  NO.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2016, 03:41:23 am »
If Texas was 50-50 I still wouldn't vote for either

I'm beginning to wonder how Texas will actually vote. Tonight on my way home from work I saw a big Trump-Pence sign among the signs of more local candidates outside of an early voting location. The problem with this is that it was in Williamson County, the county known for being as conservative as Travis County (home of Austin) is liberal. I've never seen a big-ticket Republican sign here, simply because they don't need to advertise here. The only signs out usually are for local races, county commissioners, district attorneys, state representatives, and the like. The only Federal races that get Republican candidate signs here are for the U.S. House of Representatives. 

So why is someone paying to put up a Trump-Pence sign in one of the most Republican counties in Texas?  :pondering:
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2016, 03:53:23 am »

So why is someone paying to put up a Trump-Pence sign in one of the most Republican counties in Texas?  :pondering:

during the primary I saw a ton of Cruz signs and one Trump sign. This is also a Republican county.

I see no signs at all now.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2016, 05:27:33 am »
If Donald Trump decided to take a Conservative position on anything, it would mark the very first time during this entire campaign that I was given a credible reason to vote for him.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2016, 05:39:36 am »
I think the question in the title raises the bar too high at the start, the bar should be set at a starting level Trump can compete at, like:

Is Trump more conservative than a potato?

geronl

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2016, 05:51:24 am »
I think the question in the title raises the bar too high at the start, the bar should be set at a starting level Trump can compete at, like:

Is Trump more conservative than a potato?

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2016, 06:25:35 am »
I can't see *ANY* parallels in history.  Nope.  None at all.   :whistle:
Me neither.  :whistle:

Character counts. Unfortunately, neither of the two main contenders has it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:26:39 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:10 am »
Yep, looking through this guy's articles, he does not believe More Conservative Than Conservatives is a positive thing. His writing indicates he is anti-Trump.  https://ethikapolitika.org/2016/05/10/benedict-option-cause-donald-trump/

Good post.  Appreciate that you made the effort to learn more and shared.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 10:57:09 am »
Right, certainly the  way to influence people and change minds.

An honest question.....what should he do to "influence people and change minds"....so that your hurt feeling you have from the a$$-whooping your preferred candidate took....oh wait....you didn't have any preferred candidate....did you?   Oh well......     :laugh:

You're not here looking to have your mind changed.....    :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:57:53 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2016, 10:59:57 am »
They've long said - though they won't admit it - that they want a strong man, a caudillo, to rule with an iron fist.

Only in your empty head.

Show us the posts....or it never happened.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
They've long said - though they won't admit it - that they want a strong man, a caudillo, to rule with an iron fist.

Only in your empty head.

Show us the posts....or it never happened.

FWIW DC; while not any pro-Trump posters here that I can recall, I’ve seen quite a few posts over at TOS advocating for just that. I recall one poster saying that we need our own “American” Pinochet right now”. Another said something along the lines of “I’d be OK with Trump being a dictator “for a while””, another who said that after 4-8 years of Donald Trump, he should “appoint” Ivanka the next President, then Eric after that – create a Trump dynasty and another who said he thinks that if Trump loses the election, that he should launch a military coup.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3385631/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3385532/posts?page=297#297

dschapin got the Zot. RavenLooneyToon is still there.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2016, 01:22:05 pm »
FWIW DC; while not any pro-Trump posters here that I can recall, I’ve seen quite a few posts over at TOS advocating for just that. I recall one poster saying that we need our own “American” Pinochet right now”. Another said something along the lines of “I’d be OK with Trump being a dictator “for a while””, another who said that after 4-8 years of Donald Trump, he should “appoint” Ivanka the next President, then Eric after that – create a Trump dynasty and another who said he thinks that if Trump loses the election, that he should launch a military coup.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3385631/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3385532/posts?page=297#297

dschapin got the Zot. RavenLooneyToon is still there.

When the aforementioned (pick a name....he's got several) posts what he did....he means THIS forum.

I will not allow blatant lies about TBR Trump Supporters to go unchallenged.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2016, 02:05:44 pm »

That's exactly what we are seeing.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2016, 02:50:20 pm »

Yes, they have said it (clearly), and no, they won't admit it.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2016, 11:58:49 pm »
An honest question.....what should he do to "influence people and change minds"....so that your hurt feeling you have from the a$$-whooping your preferred candidate took....oh wait....you didn't have any preferred candidate....did you?   Oh well......     :laugh:

Whatever Pocket Pool, I could care less about hurt feelings. Politics ain't bean bag.

I take my cue, not from what a worthless maggot trump is.. but rather the flies that POS attracts.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2016, 12:11:47 am »

You're (as usual) totally missing the point.  If he wants the votes of those he insulted and disgusted during the primaries, he has to try to change their minds.  All you're doing is further convincing us that you consider our votes unneeded.  So guess what?  You're not going to get them
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2016, 12:14:31 am »
When the aforementioned (pick a name....he's got several) posts what he did....he means THIS forum.

I will not allow blatant lies about TBR Trump Supporters to go unchallenged.

Yet you promulgate such lies against us who refuse to support your anointed.  Yeah, you've got lots of credibility.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Fantom

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2016, 12:15:27 am »
You're (as usual) totally missing the point.  If he wants the votes of those he insulted and disgusted during the primaries, he has to try to change their minds.  All you're doing is further convincing us that you consider our votes unneeded.  So guess what?  You're not going to get them

Well said.  :beer:

Far more diplomatic than I care to be with this poster. I admire your patience. 
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2016, 03:21:38 am »
An honest question.....what should he do to "influence people and change minds"....

Just making sure I understand your question.   Are you asking what Trump should do to influence me to become the liberal that he is?  Or are you asking what Trump should do to influence me to accept the lie that he is a Conservative?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

geronl

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:11 am »
Just making sure I understand your question.   Are you asking what Trump should do to influence me to become the liberal that he is?  Or are you asking what Trump should do to influence me to accept the lie that he is a Conservative?

888high58888