Author Topic: "It's Not Some Barbarous Relic" - Trump Adviser Urges Return To Gold Standard  (Read 770 times)

Offline unknown

"It's Not Some Barbarous Relic" - Trump Adviser Urges Return To Gold Standard

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-21/its-not-some-barbarous-relic-trump-adviser-urges-return-gold-standard

Tyler Durden
Aug 21, 2016 7:50 PM

Donald Trump is no policy wonk.

He is pitching himself as the best man for the presidency based on his track record as businessman, and his ability to surround himself with the “best” people—not on his knack for writing white papers. This, of course, means that it is important for voters to understand whom he is surrounding himself with, and what sort of ideas they hold.

With this in mind, Fortune reached out to Dr. Judy Shelton, one of two economists recently named to Donald Trump’s economic advisory team, and the only woman to hold that title. Shelton is a senior fellow and co-director of the Atlas Sound Money Project, whose mission is to promote the principles of sound money and raise awareness of what they see as the inherent problems of our current monetary system. Dr. Shelton first rose to prominence when she predicted the economic collapse of the Soviet Union in 1989, two years before it transpired.

Fortune discussed with Dr. Shelton what sort of advice she is passing along to the Republican nominee and what she thinks about the biggest economic questions of the day. The interview has been edited for length and clarity.

In terms of gold being involved, some people may think of that as a throwback, but I see it as a sophisticated, forward-looking approach because gold is neutral and it’s universal. It’s a well-accepted monetary surrogate that transcends borders and time. If you look at the foreign reserves of the most important countries, they keep them mostly in gold. I don’t want to read too much into it, but it proves that gold is not some barbarous relic.

{.. snip ..}

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline sinkspur

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

The trouble is, gold is no longer a largely "useless" metal any more.  Back in the day, gold had few industrial purposes and, by and large, was used as a store of wealth only - jewelry and etc is, for the most part, just a peculiar method of displaying, and transporting, one's wealth.

But nowadays there are substantial industrial uses for the metal that compete for access to the limited quantities with those who would use it as a store of value.  That means that, without regard to whether it was an adequate store of value before, it is no longer adequate.

Furthermore, for a store of value to be useful, it must grow - and shrink - in accordance with the actual wealth in the world; that is, as value is added, the amount of storage medium available to represent that value must grow; furthermore, as value shrinks in a contracting economy, the amount of storage medium available must also shrink.

Gold is not capable of that required level of elasticity, if it ever was.

Further, a new discovery of a significant new supply of gold blows an inflationary hole in the economy because all of a sudden there is too much money - i.e., gold - chasing the same amount of goods.  This happened, for example, when the Spanish started bringing gold back from the Americas.

Gold is not, if it ever was, a good store of value.

geronl

True. I love the idea of a gold standard, I just do not think it is possible in the modern world.

Offline NavyCanDo

How Ron Paulian.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

True. I love the idea of a gold standard, I just do not think it is possible in the modern world.

I agree.  It would be absolutely wonderful if we could find a perfectly useful store of value that accurately tracks the real wealth in the world, but I think that's an empty fantasy.

geronl

I agree.  It would be absolutely wonderful if we could find a perfectly useful store of value that accurately tracks the real wealth in the world, but I think that's an empty fantasy.

So, how much gold is $17 trillion in the hole worth? Cuz, I don't know what negative gold looks like.