Author Topic: Breitbart goes anti-Mormon: Will the Mormon Church’s Support for Muslim Immigration Block Trump's Victory?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Suppressed

I won't tolerate it here..

Thank you, Myst.

I'm not Mormon, but I intend to go visit the new temple they've built in Philly, during the current open house.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

During his time in DC, Tancredo gained a reputation as a bomb-thrower.  He regularly issued strident attacks on his opponents (many of whom were in his own party), the primary purpose of which seemed to be to throw red meat to his ardent supporters.  Based on his legislative record (what little of it there was) he had very little interest in actually accomplishing anything through legislation.  His main interest was publicity.

As we all know, Tancredo's signature issue was illegal immigration.  His approach to the subject was bombastic, and it was ineffective -- any chance he might have had in helping to craft immigration reform (if he even had an interest in doing so) was squandered by his practice of publicly excoriating anyone with whom he disagreed. 

Based on his behavior, I got the impression that Tancredo, whatever his actual thoughts on the matter, viewed illegal immigration as a vehicle for self promotion; he certainly used it that way.

All of which sounds a lot like Trump.

And your description above is almost word for word the same Cruz's critics use to describe him.

To some he's self aggrandizing, to others he's speaking for a great many voters who have no voice in Washington. Which view you take usually aligns with whether or not you agree with the issues he advocates.

I may disagree with him concerning Trump but I never heard anything from Tancredo that led me to believe he didn't believe passionately in the issues he advocated.

Offline r9etb

And your description above is almost word for word the same Cruz's critics use to describe him.

To some he's self aggrandizing, to others he's speaking for a great many voters who have no voice in Washington. Which view you take usually aligns with whether or not you agree with the issues he advocates.

I may disagree with him concerning Trump but I never heard anything from Tancredo that led me to believe he didn't believe passionately in the issues he advocated.

I'm on record as a Cruz detractor, because I think he's overly ambitious.  While I acknowledge his intelligence, I just don't trust him.

But he's not at all like Tancredo, whose talents seem not to extend beyond demagoguery on a single issue.

Offline kevindavis007

During his time in DC, Tancredo gained a reputation as a bomb-thrower.  He regularly issued strident attacks on his opponents (many of whom were in his own party), the primary purpose of which seemed to be to throw red meat to his ardent supporters.  Based on his legislative record (what little of it there was) he had very little interest in actually accomplishing anything through legislation.  His main interest was publicity.

As we all know, Tancredo's signature issue was illegal immigration.  His approach to the subject was bombastic, and it was ineffective -- any chance he might have had in helping to craft immigration reform (if he even had an interest in doing so) was squandered by his practice of publicly excoriating anyone with whom he disagreed. 

Based on his behavior, I got the impression that Tancredo, whatever his actual thoughts on the matter, viewed illegal immigration as a vehicle for self promotion; he certainly used it that way.

All of which sounds a lot like Trump.

In all fairness, if he really wanted a solution he could have offered legislation.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

And that about sums it up.  He was one of the most ineffective Congressman I can recall, but he did a great job of preaching to his particular choir.

He is more than a border demagogue

Offline r9etb

In all fairness, if he really wanted a solution he could have offered legislation.

Good point.  He never really did get around to that, did he?

Offline kevindavis007

Good point.  He never really did get around to that, did he?

Not to my knowledge..

Offline CSM

by TOM TANCREDO20 Aug 2016

It is an open secret in Washington, D.C. that the Mormon church supports open borders and lax enforcement of immigration laws. Many Mormon politicians have been supporting amnesty and open borders for decades. When I was in Congress I had a confrontation with former Utah Senator Robert Bennett over his sponsorship of an amendment to exempt religious institutions from a Sanctuary City bill establishing penalties for harboring illegal aliens. It turned out he did it at the request of his church leaders. Mormon church support for John McCain in his Arizona Republican primary race is also due in large part to his open borders record and his challenger’s strong criticism of McCain’s hypocrisy on border security.

So, no one should be surprised that Trump’s call to build a wall on the southwest border and his plan for putting the war on Islamist terrorism above open immigration has encountered resistance among some Mormon politicians. What is surprising is the dishonest way even some Republicans have framed that disagreement as opposition to infringement on religious liberty.

Snip

Tancredo's logic here doesn't make any sense.  In fact, by the same logic, Trump attacked the 2012 Republican candidate, a MORMON for being too tough on Illegals.  Hence, we can say that all trump supporters are against being tough on illegals?

I'd hardly take that position...yet Tancredo stretches into a pretzel.

Offline r9etb

I'd hardly take that position...yet Tancredo stretches into a pretzel.

If Tancredo sees a chance to get his name in print you can be sure he'll take it.  He probably figures he can work his way back onto TV as a Trump surrogate.

It's interesting to me that he'd take this anti-Mormon tack, but not particularly surprising.  Guys like him need enemies.

Offline skeeter

A quick on-line search of Tancredo's legislative offerings reveals this assertion is not true.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The headline is fake.

The headline, the manner in which it was posted, is an opinion wrapped in a headline. It would be the same as me posting an article that reads: JESUS HATES TRUMP: Trump reveals economic policies.

I would expect this from the person who posted this, but I am surprise that the Mods are OK with it. If this is allowed to stand, then we will no longer be able to trust any headlines posted here.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The headline is fake.

The headline, the manner in which it was posted, is an opinion wrapped in a headline. It would be the same as me posting an article that reads: JESUS HATES TRUMP: Trump reveals economic policies.

I would expect this from the person who posted this, but I am surprise that the Mods are OK with it. If this is allowed to stand, then we will no longer be able to trust any headlines posted here.

You've got a point.  Breitbart has become an advocacy site, not a news site. I guess as long as it goes in the Opinion section, it might be OK.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

It was obviously intended to stir up trouble, considering the poster and the subject. Why tolerate it at all ??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

The headline is fake.

:hands: @240B 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
"Breitbart goes anti-Mormon"  appears to be an accurate description of the article.   It's really quite despicable.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"Breitbart goes anti-Mormon"  appears to be an accurate description of the article.   It's really quite despicable.   

Maybe we should just ban all Breitbart articles?

Offline musiclady

Sorry I left the TOS to avoid the Anti Mormon BS..

So did I............... and I'm not Mormon, but the bigotry was disgusting.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

A quick on-line search of Tancredo's legislative offerings reveals this assertion is not true.

Tanc's always been a Conservative of the first order...

OnTheIssues: Tom Tancredo
http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Tom_Tancredo.htm

Offline r9etb

Oh, really?

Name a bill for which he was the primary sponsor .... that passed. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oh, really?

How does that measure his conservatism or lack thereof?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Maybe we should just ban all Breitbart articles?

I'm not suggesting we ban anything a priori.  But if something bigoted or otherwise despicable is posted, kudos to those who point it out.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline r9etb

How does that measure his conservatism or lack thereof?

That wasn't the topic in question.

Offline kevindavis007

So did I............... and I'm not Mormon, but the bigotry was disgusting.

Same here.. I have family members who are members of the LDS..

Offline kevindavis007

Oh, really?

Expect to hear nothing but crickets..