Author Topic: 'Ben-Hur' is one of the biggest flops of the summer  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
'Ben-Hur' is one of the biggest flops of the summer
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:46:50 pm »
Tre'vell Anderson
Los Angeles Times
August 21, 2016

During a weekend with three major new releases, holdovers “Suicide Squad,” from Warner Bros., and “Sausage Party,” from Sony, maintained their top spots at the box office. This means the big-budget reimagining of “Ben-Hur,” from Paramount Pictures and MGM, is one of the biggest flops of the summer.

The third version of Lew Wallace’s 19th century novel “Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ” took in an estimated $11.4 million in the U.S and Canada, which was only good enough for fifth place. It met analyst projections of $10 million to $15 million, though the studio was aiming for an opening of $20 million in ticket sales. Such a performance is an unequivocal poor result for a movie that cost about $100 million to make (after rebates). The film brought in $10.7 million internationally.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Rotten Tomatoes

Metacritic

Official Site

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: 'Ben-Hur' is one of the biggest flops of the summer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:48:56 pm »
I've heard some very good reviews of it.

This summer seems to be a flop for everything. Even the movies that you expect to do well. Star Trek, Independence Day, Suicide Squad all crashed at the box office. We saw Star Trek on opening weekend and the theater was mostly empty. We'll probably go see Suicide Squad this afternoon.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:54:48 pm »
I've heard some very good reviews of it.

This summer seems to be a flop for everything. Even the movies that you expect to do well. Star Trek, Independence Day, Suicide Squad all crashed at the box office. We saw Star Trek on opening weekend and the theater was mostly empty. We'll probably go see Suicide Squad this afternon.
FYI
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2016

Truthfully, there are not a lot of movies I go to see in the theater anymore. The last one was Guardians Of The Galaxy and before that it was Star Trek Into Darkness (in 3-D no less).

Part of the reason I don’t go out to the movies so much anymore is being single and presently unattached, finding someone to go to the movies with me, and it being something I really want to watch on the big screen.  I don’t see my BFF Julie, someone I used to go seem movies with several times a year, as much since I moved from Baltimore to PA and my niece and my nephew who live close by, have young children and if they and their spouses go out to a movie, I’m their 1st choice of baby sitter.

My great niece and I were planning on seeing Star Trek Beyond but our schedules just didn’t line up.  I did go the movies by myself once to see Master and Commander because I’d seen the preview while at another movie (IIRC that movie was Seabiscuit), and I really wanted to see it on the big screen but couldn’t find anyone who wanted to see it with me.  Going to the movies alone is not nearly as uncomfortable (for me) as perhaps going out to eat out at a restaurant alone (not a fast food place), but it is still a social experience.

I think another reason box office takes are down over all is that so many people now have really good quality HD TV’s and sound systems.

My nephew has a 52” ultra HD TV with a killer surround sound system. He and his wife sometimes invite me to come to their house for “dinner and a movie” night.  Sometimes his wife will cook or sometimes we will get carry out.

After they put their two young girls to bed, we can get all comfy (and I will bring with me a pair of comfy yoga pants – something I personally wouldn’t wear out in public) and watch the movie, but if someone has to go to the bathroom or we want a snack – make some microwave popcorn or ice cream or an adult beverage, we can pause the movie.  The last movie I saw at their house was the last Star Wars movie and before that was The Revenant.  And with The Revenant there were one or two places my nephew paused and backed up because we didn’t understand the dialogue.

And Blue Ray DVD’s are not all that expensive anymore compared to what it costs for a couple or a group of friends to go to the theater and buy popcorn and sodas, some candy.

That’s not to say I don’t still enjoy going out for dinner and a movie, it is just that I don’t as much as I used to and I think I’m not alone.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:59 pm »
Ben Hur sounds like a remake of a classic, I'm not surprised people stayed away.

I would avoid "Sausage Party" like the plague and "Suicide Squad" sounds like something I might watch when its free on demand or something.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:59:51 pm »
My wife and I enjoy the movies. Dinner date for old folks.

But we sometimes skip it, since almost the entiring offerings are silly teen mentality comedies; albeit loved by 20-30-40 something adolescents, or horrow, or fantasy, science fiction, etc.

A old fashioned drama, serious adult content, is difficult to find. Ben Hur looks to fit that category, so I want to see it.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:12:20 pm »
I don’t really have a problem with movie remakes; after all, the classic and multi-Academy Award winning 1959 version was a remake of the earlier 1925 silent film version and of an earlier short film and an even earlier stage play. Truthfully though, it is not a remake of the earlier film versions but a newer adaptation of the original source novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Hur:_A_Tale_of_the_Christ#Adaptations

And there have been a few remakes that were IMO superior to the earlier film version.

As much as I love John Wayne (and I saw the original True Grit at the movies with my dad when it came out), the more recent version of True Grit was IMO a better movie, a more accurate depiction of the time period and much closer to the novel, especially the ending.

And whether or not one likes Lillian Hellman as a playwright or of her leftist politics (which I do not) or of the subject matter; however, from purely a film buff’s perspective, the later film adaption of “The Children's Hour” (the 1961 version with Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, and James Garner) was a much better film than the earlier 1936 film version “These Three”; a film that because of the production codes at the time had to omit the very key lesbian part of the story out and make it into a more acceptable hetero love triangle, but that didn’t seem, even in 1936 to be as so controversial as to propel the story line as to why the school teachers were so ostracized and scandalized by the accusations.  Both films interestingly were directed by William Wyler.

TCM last night ran a Humphrey Bogart film marathon and I re-watched Key Largo and The Maltese Falcon.  But the 1941 classic The Maltese Falcon is actually the third adaptation of Hammett’s novel to reach the screen, having been beaten by ten years in the pre-code 1931 adaptation directed by Roy Del Ruth and starring Ricardo Cortez. There was also the 1936 light-comedy adaptation Satan Met a Lady starring Bette Davis and Warren William that served as a loose adaptation and was received rather poorly. Most people, including me, and except for extreme film buffs are unaware of those earlier film adaptations.

I also don’t have a problem with film adaptations of novels making editorial decisions to omit some sub-plots, omitting some scenes that don’t add much to the overall story arch, omitting some minor characters or in some cases combining similar characters into a composite as it is nearly impossible to make a 2-3-hour movie from an “epic” novel and include everything, every detail and sub-plot, every character.

And what film adaptation has ever done true justice to Tolstoy’s War and Peace for example. Or in what was in my and many other’s opinion, Tolstoy’s superior novel “Anna Karenina” – and how many film adaptations have been made of that? A lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Karenina#Film

While most movie adaptations have focused primarily on the ill-fated love affair between Anna Karenina and Count Vronskiy, few have really delved very deeply into Konstantin "Kostya" Levin who is the moral voice of the novel and a counter point to Anna and Vronskiy and the Russian upper-class as a whole. But much of Levin’s struggles are emotional and internal and largely narrated (Levin’s thoughts) in the third person, something that doesn’t translate well on film.

But getting back to this most recent film version of Ben-Hur - sure the 1959 movie version differs somewhat from the novel, for instance leaving out Iras, the daughter of Balthasar as Judah’s first love interest and who later becomes Messala’s mistress and eventually kills him (no, in the novel, Messala does not die after the chariot race) and it does not address that Judah and his wife Esther eventually go to Rome and establish an underground Christian church during the reign of Nero and a few other events in the novel. But otherwise it follows the plot of the book pretty closely.

But I don’t understand the editorial choice in this most recent film version to make Judah and Messala adoptive brothers rather than childhood friends. They also make Sheik Ilderim a Nubian rather than an Arab and also seem to make him a much more central character. But hey, now days you’ve got have an older wise Black guy and whenever you have to cast an older wise Black guy, I think it’s some sort of unwritten law that it must be played by Morgan Freeman.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:01:56 am »

A old fashioned drama, serious adult content, is difficult to find. Ben Hur looks to fit that category, so I want to see it.

I picture you in an ad for The Villages.  A golf cart rolling down the avenue of 55 and over.  On your right  is the IMaxx theater for the waiting room to Heaven Crowd.  As you enter the theater you see your ticket taker is Chuck Heston.  You hand him your ticket he says; "CGI is for Pu$$ies.  Enjoy the show.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:22:32 pm »
From the 1959 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7wcShvrus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7wcShvrus

"Roman warship rowers were not slaves but a paid part of the ship's crew."

Goofs

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 12:09:58 am »
Remakes and adaptations are OK, but it seems that Hollywood is running out of fresh ideas for good films.

Sausage Party sounds like an incredibly clever premise—but the people who made it decided to go all-in on the filth and throwing gratuitous sex and profanity around, which, although it got attention, pretty much ruins the whole idea of what could have been a very funny PG- or even PG-13-rated movie and still be mostly toward the grown-ups without shutting out the older kids.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 12:15:41 am »
Not to worry folks. I just heard they are remaking another classic. This one looks like BOX OFFICE GOLD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girSv9UH_V8

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 01:33:45 am »
Not to worry folks. I just heard they are remaking another classic. This one looks like BOX OFFICE GOLD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girSv9UH_V8
It's supposedly a sequel rather than a remake.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 01:49:23 am »
Sausage Party sounds like an incredibly clever premise—but the people who made it decided to go all-in on the filth and throwing gratuitous sex and profanity around

the title alone would have kept me away

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 03:10:30 am »
I find anymore staring at the back of my eyelids is entertainment enough.

I think the last time we were in a theater was to see  V for Vendetta.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley