Author Topic: McMullin qualifies for Louisiana ballots (ANOTHER STATE)  (Read 1095 times)

cuky

McMullin qualifies for Louisiana ballots (ANOTHER STATE)
« on: August 20, 2016, 05:15:57 am »
McMullin qualifies for Louisiana ballots (ANOTHER STATE)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/evan-mcmullin-iowa-louisiana-ballots-227224

Conservative independent candidate Evan McMullin has qualified to appear on the general election ballots in Louisiana and Iowa, according to the Louisiana and Iowa secretary of state’s offices.
McMullin’s campaign opted to pay the $500 qualifying fee, instead of gathering 5,000 signatures, due Friday, to get on the Louisiana ballot. Of the four candidates that filed and qualified Friday — McMullin, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Constitution Party candidate Darrell Castle, and Veterans Party candidate Chris Keniston — “no one qualified for president using signatures, everyone qualified paying the amount of money that was required,” said Louisiana secretary of state press secretary Meg Casper.

However, McMullin gathered the 1500 signatures representing 10 counties needed to get on the Iowa ballot, the Iowa secretary of state’s office confirmed. “They brought in their paperwork 11 minutes before the deadline,” said communications director Kevin Hall. “They turned in a lot more signatures than they needed."
The campaign said it submitted more than 2500 signatures.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/evan-mcmullin-iowa-louisiana-ballots-227224#ixzz4HqY9L3OK
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: McMullin qualifies for Louisiana ballots (ANOTHER STATE)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:08:42 am »
Good.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:25:21 pm »
Good.

Why is it good? Having this many third party candidates doesn't improve the chances of any of them.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:49 pm »
Why is it good? Having this many third party candidates doesn't improve the chances of any of them.

It gives Reagan conservatives an alternative to vote for.   I like Gary Johnson,  but I can understand why a lot of conservatives don't,  especially those who prioritize foreign policy/national security matters or don't dig Johnson's style on social issues.   Gary Johnson makes for me a fine protest vote,  but for a lot of conservatives weighing the embarrassment of having to vote for Trump,  McMullin may be the guy they can vote for without Maalox.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Longmire

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 02:17:38 pm »
I like Gary Johnson,  but I can understand why a lot of conservatives don't,  especially those who prioritize foreign policy/national security matters or don't dig Johnson's style on social issues.   Gary Johnson makes for me a fine protest vote,  but for a lot of conservatives weighing the embarrassment of having to vote for Trump,  McMullin may be the guy they can vote for without Maalox.     

Whats wrong with Castle and isn't Gary Johnson a stoner?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »

Castle's not for me but I won't criticize him.  If he keeps you from voting for Trump, then solid.

Johnson is, if I recall correctly,  a fitness freak,  a prodigious climber and runner.    I kind of doubt he's a stoner.   He may partake, but so what.   My occasional vice is good bourbon - what's yours?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 02:59:53 pm »

If smoking weed helps you run iron man races and climb mt Everest, I may need to rethink my no drugs personal policy. Consiidering when he partook, it was in a state where it was legal, it is about as much of a non issue as a candidate who drinks.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 05:36:27 pm »
Johnson is, if I recall correctly,  a fitness freak,  a prodigious climber and runner.    I kind of doubt he's a stoner.   He may partake, but so what.   My occasional vice is good bourbon - what's yours?

Johnson has been a habitual  marijuana user  for many years. He says he got started using pot to wean himself off pain killers following a serious accident in 2005 in which he suffered multiple fractures including his back and both knees. I wouldn't let him run a forklift much less become President.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 05:44:46 pm »
Consiidering when he partook, it was in a state where it was legal, it is about as much of a non issue as a candidate who drinks.

It wasn't legal in 2005 when he started using drugs for 'medicinal' purposes and it still isn't legal in NM for recreational use which Johnson claims he does now.