Author Topic: Why these diehard Democrats are rooting for Trump  (Read 444 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Why these diehard Democrats are rooting for Trump
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:08:18 pm »

Why these diehard Democrats are rooting for Trump
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/18/why-these-die-hard-democrats-are-rooting-for-trump/
Excerpt:
“When the steel industry was going good and the coal was good, it was blue,” said George Psaros, 76, a retired Weirton Steel engineer who voted for President Obama in 2008 and 2012 and is undecided in this contest. “Well, the world has changed.”

Ever since Democrats like Bill Clinton embraced free trade, West Virginia has voted for the Republican presidential nominee in greater margins. West Virginians sided with Democrat Michael Dukakis instead of George H. W. Bush in 1988, only one of 10 states to vote blue. But by 2000, George W. Bush won the state by 6 percent of the vote, and in 2012, Mitt Romney won by more than 20 percent.

Now even one of the most reliably Democratic groups — union members — may be turning red, drawn by Trump’s free-trade bashing and resentful of Clinton’s past support for certain international trade agreements.

“I don’t know what Trump would do if he’s elected,” said Mark Glyptis, president of the United Steelworkers Local 2911 and a Trump supporter, who voted for Obama in the past two elections. “But I know what Hillary would do.”

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Why these diehard Democrats are rooting for Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
On a macro level,  free trade - which opens up foreign markets to U.S. products - boosts employment, but there are obviously certain industries for which free trade has been damaging. 

Free trade should be limited to those nations that are more or less like us in terms of wage levels and environmental protections, or which because of geographic realities provide real synergies for U.S. manufacturing (I'm thinking Canada and Mexico here)   

For nations not described above,  I have no objection to VAT-type tariffs that level the playing field for U.S. workers,  but they should be apolitical tariffs, determined on an objective basis with respect to a country's wage levels and environmental protections without regard to the political regime.

Finally,  we need to get our own house in order,  by cutting corporate taxes to competitive levels (or eliminating such taxes entirely with respect to a company's U.S. operations,  which would incentivize companies to make stuff here).     
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:22:31 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide