Author Topic: PIVOT ALERT!  (Read 1769 times)

Offline sinkspur

PIVOT ALERT!
« on: August 19, 2016, 02:46:58 am »
Pivot Alert

by RICH LOWRY   

August 18, 2016 10:31 PM @RICHLOWRY

Trump said tonight, “Sometimes, in the heat of debate and speaking on a multitude of issues, you don’t choose the right words or you say the wrong thing. I have done that. And believe it or not, I regret it. And I do regret it, particularly where it may have caused personal pain. Too much is at stake for us to be consumed with these issues.”

This is smart:

1) Because no matter how much the Trump “pivot” has become a joke, the media is desperate to write the Trump pivot story and has been for some time (even though it hates Trump, it also likes switching-up the narrative).

2) Because it’s such an out-of-character tone for him, it will drive coverage, and not in negative way–a nice change for him.

3) Because–even if scripted–it shows an emotional range beyond his usual bombast.

On the other hand:

1) He will be asked about this unspecified regret in interviews and will need to explain in more detail and carry it off convincingly.

2) It will put a premium on not saying the sort of incendiary things he now supposedly regrets in the future, and if he does, it will make this moment useless.

3) As someone pointed out on Twitter, it would have been much better to do this sort of thing at the convention, when more people were paying attention, and try to carry the new tone into the post-convention period.

If he had actually done that, he might have avoided some of the self-inflicted wounds of the last few weeks. The name of the game for Trump now is bottoming-out and hoping to knock Hillary down a couple of notches so the race looks more competitive again. Then, he needs to climb, which will be even more difficult, but he should re-gain some Republican support if it looks like at least he’s trying.

Of course, all of this is subject to change hour-by-hour.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/439172/trump-regrets-past-words-pivot
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

Re: PIVOT ALERT!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:49:58 am »
The man who has never, in his 70 years, regretting being a vulgar bully, has suddenly seen the light, gotten religion, and now feels sorry for the pain he's caused?

That is the rankest, purest pile of B.S. I've smelt in more years than I can count.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:55:34 am »
He is about as sincere as a stone.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:56:40 am »
He is about as sincere as a stone.

Now that's just not fair to stones!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:00:23 am »
I sure wish Rich Lowry and the rest of his crew over at National Review would just come out of the closet and start openly campaigning for the Hildebeest. 

There is nothing Donald Trump could ever do, short of blowing his brains all over the carpet, that these people will ever approve of. 

Rich Lowry would bitch with his throat cut.

:smokin:

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:04:00 am »
I sure wish Rich Lowry and the rest of his crew over at National Review would just come out of the closet and start openly campaigning for the Hildebeest. 

There is nothing Donald Trump could ever do, short of blowing his brains all over the carpet, that these people will ever approve of. 

Gee, somebody had his lil buttons pushed.  Buck up, buttercup.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 03:08:26 am »

Do you believe this bullshit?  After a YEAR of an insulting jerk, NOW we see the real Trump?

Trump is in Death Bed Conversion mode, hoping to sneak his way into the good graces of a few more voters.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 06:02:39 am »
Pivot!! and draw attention away from your nekkie statues

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:18:43 pm »
I  just wish the rest of the crew over at National Review gopbriefingroom nevertrumpbriefingroom would just come out of the closet and start openly campaigning for the Hildebeest. 

To an outsider, that is precisely what this place appears to be.

The TOS is just your cup of tea.

Pardon me for not buying Trump's speech last night. He's a 70 YO tiger that can't change his stripes.

He's yet to prove to me that he's exorcised the petulant 9 YO boy that's inside of him. He's got about ten weeks to do that. Until I'm convinced, he's not getting my approval to hold the nuclear football. Hillary will never get my vote, BTW. I held my nose for the last two RINOs, and look what it got me:

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:07 pm »
I  just wish the rest of the crew over at National Review gopbriefingroom nevertrumpbriefingroom would just come out of the closet and start openly campaigning for the Hildebeest. 

To an outsider, that is precisely what this place appears to be.

Not being enthusiastic about Trump does not equal support for Hillary.  The site owners have been over this repeatedly.

@mystery-ak
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »
Working against the Republican nominee is helping Hillary. It's a simple concept: grasp reality.

By the way Hillary Clinton's campaign had how many restarts? The most accurate number is 4+ campaign restarts.

But, please continue to attack Donald Trump instead. That's just so so helpful.  :patriot:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:41 pm »
Working against the Republican nominee is helping Hillary. It's a simple concept: grasp reality.

By the way Hillary Clinton's campaign had how many restarts? The most accurate number is 4+ campaign restarts.

But, please continue to attack Donald Trump instead. That's just so so helpful.  :patriot:

Offering one's opinion on an internet chat room is "working against the Republican nominee"? After the bruising primary season, it's taken Trump many weeks to offer a half hearted apology for the tactics and language he used. I get it, he won, but that doesn't mean I have to get on the Trump Train.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 01:47:01 pm »

Bullsh!t

Your reality isn't.  Pointing out Trump's repeated mistakes and apparently permanent personality flaws would help any rational human being become better, and reflects in no way on anyone other than the individual in question.

Take you your juvenile equivalence back over to your safe space where you can divulge in your collective self delusion without interference.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:30:42 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 02:00:38 pm »
Pivot!! and draw attention away from your nekkie statues

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »

Hillary has had campaign restarts.  Trump is attempting a personality makeover.  The two are completely different.

We know the real Trump and it's just a matter of time until he re-emerges.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 02:11:18 pm »

yes, eat that fecal sandwich with gusto. Because it has a little ketchup on it. You Trumpkins still don't get it, do you? Many millions of Americans are looking on both candidates as severely diseased entities. Because one, Hlllary, is slightly worse than the other, Trump, does not make the latter a wonderful candidate.
I'm not NeverTrump, and I might yet pull the lever for him , holding my nose and retching all the way back to my car. But don't try to tell me how wonderful he is. I'd rather have the truth.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 02:17:01 pm »

Trump's "apology" is hollow unless he changes his ways.  He is STILL attacking Ted Cruz and his family through his supporters on social media.  Maybe if he would stop his fixation with Cruz and go after his real opponent, Hillary, he might be taken seriously.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 06:25:13 pm »

Ah, Bellamy, for cryin' out loud. That's the the stinking, most awful, stupid joke and you're always pullin' that stinking awful stupid joke. You don't want in this thing, you don't get in this thing. I cut you out of everything. I don't need you. Sixty feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour