Author Topic: Alt Right Rejoices at Donald Trump’s Steve Bannon Hire  (Read 5404 times)

HonestJohn

Alt Right Rejoices at Donald Trump’s Steve Bannon Hire
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:22:56 am »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/17/alt-right-rejoices-at-trump-s-steve-bannon-hire.html

08.17.16 4:10 PM ET
WRITTEN BY BETSY WOODRUFF

As Breitbart’s chief, Steve Bannon did a lot to normalize the racist, anti-Semitic world of the alt right. Now they rejoice as he joins the campaign of their king.

Donald Trump’s campaign is under new management—and his white nationalist fanboys love it.

The campaign’s new chief executive, Stephen Bannon, joins from Breitbart News—where he helped mainstream the ideas of white nationalists and resuscitate the reputations of anti-immigrant fear-mongers.

White nationalists today invest a lot of energy worrying about growing Hispanic and Muslim populations in the U.S. Turns out, Breitbart News spends a lot of time worrying about those things, too. And in Bannon, they see a media-friendly, ethno-nationalist fellow traveler.

“Latterly, Breitbart emerged as a nationalist site and done great stuff on immigration in particular,” VDARE.com editor Peter Brimelow told The Daily Beast.

VDare is a white supremacist site. It’s named after Virginia Dare, the first white child born to British colonists in North America. Brimelow said he and Bannon met briefly last month and exchanged pleasantries about each other’s work.

“It’s irritating because VDARE.com is not used to competition,” Brimelow added. “I presume that is due to Bannon, so his appointment is great news.”

Brimelow isn’t the only prominent white nationalist to praise the Bannon hire. Richard Spencer, who heads the white supremacist think tank National Policy Institute, said he was also pleased. Under Bannon’s leadership, Breitbart has given favorable coverage to the white supremacist Alt Right movement. And Spencer loves it.

“Breitbart has elective affinities with the Alt Right, and the Alt Right has clearly influenced Breitbart,” he said. “In this way, Breitbart has acted as a ‘gateway’ to Alt Right ideas and writers. I don’t think it has done this deliberately; again, it’s a matter of elective affinities.”

Spencer said Breitbart and Bannon have helped Alt Right ideas gain legitimacy—and, more importantly, exponentially expand their audiences. He cited the work of Milo Yiannopoulos as evidence of this.

“As is evident with Milo’s piece on the Alt Right, Breitbart has people on board who take us seriously, even if they are not Alt Right themselves.”

Yiannopoulos wrote a piece on March 29, 2016, about the Alt Right, praising its members as “dangerously bright,” and cheering the VDARE and American Renaissance sites as an “eclectic mix of renegades.” American Renaissance is helmed by Jared Taylor, who advocates for voluntary racial segregation and says African Americans are genetically predisposed to be criminals.

Yiannopoulos defended Brimelow and Taylor by saying they “don’t want to commit any pogroms,” which is … not a very comforting sentiment.

Reached for comment, Yiannopoulos referred The Daily Beast to Breitbart editor-in-chief Alexander Marlow. He has not returned a request for comment.

The Clinton campaign immediately pounced on the announcement in a conference call on Wednesday afternoon, noting Bannon’s Alt Right ties. "After several failed attempts to pivot into a more serious and presidential mode, Donald Trump has decided to double down on his most small, nasty and divisive instincts by turning his campaign over to someone who’s best known for running a so-called news site that peddles divisive, at times racist, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories,” Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook told reporters.

The Clinton campaign did not respond to a follow-up email asking if they will continue to provide press credentials to Breitbart reporters.

Bannon didn’t just make Breitbart a safe space for white supremacists; he’s also welcomed a scholar blacklisted from the mainstream conservative movement for arguing there’s a connection between race and IQ. Breitbart frequently highlights the work of Jason Richwine, who resigned from the conservative Heritage Foundation when news broke that his Harvard dissertation argued in part that Hispanics have lower IQs than non-Hispanic whites.

Bannon loves Richwine. On Jan. 6 of this year, when Richwine was a guest on the radio show, Bannon called him “one of the smartest brains out there on demographics, demography this whole issue of immigration, what it means to this country.”

And, unsurprisingly, Bannon heaps praise on Pamela Geller, an activist in the counter-Jihad movement who warns about “creeping Sharia.” When she appeared on the SiriusXM Breitbart radio show that Bannon hosted, he called her “one of the leading experts in the country if not the world” on Islam.

Geller told The Daily Beast she’s thrilled by the Bannon news.

“Steve Bannon is a warrior,” she told The Daily Beast. “He has long understood that this is a war in the information battle-space (something the right has failed to grasp despite the left's smear machine against those with whom they disagree.) The media is out to destroy Donald Trump. Trump needs a champion, a ‘Patton,’ a Bannon. This is fantastic news.”

Specifically, Geller said Bannon “articulates what millions of Americans are thinking about how we need to tell the truth about jihad and the Muslim migrant invasion of the West.”

One former Breitbart worker puts it a little differently. Kurt Bardella, who had the site as a client until quitting this year, said Bannon regularly made racist comments during internal meetings.

“I woke up and the world came to an end,” he told The Daily Beast. “They have put in place someone who is a dictator-bully—a figure whose form of management is verbal abuse and intimidation.”

“He made more off-color comments about minorities and homosexuals than I can recount,” he added.

Bardella, who lives in Virginia and was formerly a Republican Hill staffer, said this November, for the first time in his life, he will vote for a Democrat: Hillary Clinton.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Alt Right Rejoices at Donald Trump’s Steve Bannon Hire
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:27:43 am »
I wish they would go ahead and remove Andrew's name from all their publications. He would be turning over in his grave if he could see their shift. He was very anti-populist/pro-individual and he very much disliked Trump.  He would be disgusted that the Vdare types (at that, actual Vdare) would allying with his publication.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:39 am »
The ugly underbelly of the right has been unleashed with this promotion of Bannon.  You will see the anti-semites, anti-Catholics, anti-black, anti-gay, anti-anybody-who's-not-white-WASP emerge.

It's about time.  Let's have this out.  Let America see this nasty Buchananite side of paleoconservatism. 

And drive a stake through its heart.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:42:14 am »
It's about time.  Let's have this out.  Let America see this nasty Buchananite side of paleoconservatism. 

Sounds like something holidays will celebrate

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:50:11 am »

geronl

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:58:53 am »
Poor Milo

lol

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:02:11 am »
Poor Milo

lol

"Daddy" isn't doing anything to help him out.

I think its funny that he supports Trump who supports internet censorship and he's the one who gets banned from Twitter.

Dat's Karma
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:22:02 am by Cripplecreek »

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 01:20:05 am »
:facepalm2:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 01:44:00 am »
I think Mark Levin said Bannon worked for Gerald Ford in 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Bannon

Levin said he knew Bannon, all the same, sometimes Breitbart commenters are colorful with their language.

Doesn't look like any dirt on his bio.

If one reads Jet, Ebony or ThyBlackMan, is one now reading Black supremacist literature.

This is just trying to Palinize Trump via the hateful left.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:48:47 am »
Why doesn't the Daily Beast make a big deal about Trump supporter David Clarke?

Does it not serve Newsweek-Daily Beast?

Isn't Newsweek the same outfit that called Obama god or something?

Distrust the 5th column.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:41 am »
The ugly underbelly of the right has been unleashed with this promotion of Bannon.  You will see the anti-semites, anti-Catholics, anti-black, anti-gay, anti-anybody-who's-not-white-WASP emerge.

What a mess we have created. On one side, we have the collectivist, immoral, divisive, and corrupting sludge of Clintonism. On the other, we have the nativist, populist, angry, and anti-intellectual muck of Trumpism.

Why is it so hard for Americans to come together and declare that human liberty belongs to all people as their birthright? That race, gender, faith or sexual preference are utterly meaningless in consideration of such freedom, that the legitimacy of government depends upon the consent of the governed, and that all people have a right to their own lives and property as long as they respect the rights and property of others and do not inflict force or fraud upon them?

Leave me alone. Leave my property alone. Leave people to practice whatever faith they recognize. Leave gay people alone. Stop hating people for no other reason than their physical differences or proclivities - as long as they do not harm anyone or counsel harm against others. And stop demanding that government protect you from your own failings and misapprehensions. Live your life. But also practice love and kindness and charity. Liberty is a coin with two sides: freedom and responsibility. We need to rediscover both, before both are lost.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:09:54 am »
Leave me alone. Leave my property alone. Leave people to practice whatever faith they recognize. Leave gay people alone. Stop hating people for no other reason than their physical differences or proclivities - as long as they do not harm anyone or counsel harm against others. And stop demanding that government protect you from your own failings and misapprehensions. Live your life. But also practice love and kindness and charity. Liberty is a coin with two sides: freedom and responsibility. We need to rediscover both, before both are lost.

I just want a return to Coolidge Republicanism.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 02:28:27 am »
I just want a return to Coolidge Republicanism.
That would constitute a vast improvement over where we are today. Imagine: an Executive branch of the Federal government that believes its primary role is to stay out of people's lives while protecting their freedom from enemies, foreign and domestic.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:37:13 am »
I think the euphemism of "alt-right" must be ended and the real terms used.  Terms like the klan, skinheads, white nationalists, neo-nazis.  For that is what the term "alt-right" hides.

And it's a very loud voice in the Trump-verse.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 02:39:31 am »
I think the euphemism of "alt-right" must be ended and the real terms used.  Terms like the klan, skinheads, white nationalists, neo-nazis.  For that is what the term "alt-right" hides.

And it's a very loud voice in the Trump-verse.

How about just freeper?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 04:30:08 am »
Levin said he knew Bannon, all the same, sometimes Breitbart commenters are colorful with their language.

Doesn't look like any dirt on his bio.

If one reads Jet, Ebony or ThyBlackMan, is one now reading Black supremacist literature.

This is just trying to Palinize Trump via the hateful left.

Some day, in the next few months, you are going to look in the mirror and realize that your party has been over run by vile bullies, and petty people, bitter at their own failures in life, searching for a scapegoat.  It will be a sad day for you, but not as sad as the day that Jesus stand before you and condemns you for turning your back on your fellow man.  I want to shake you and scream "THIS IS NOT WHO YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!"...but I can't make you understand why Ebony's black racism towards whites does not absolve Trump from stroking the egos of skinheads...nor should I have to.

It is clear from your posts that you are an educated and well informed person.  IMO it is tragic that you are willfully blind to what is happening around you.

How many many more excuses will you make for Trump?  How heavy will you weigh the scales against your better nature?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:31:34 am »
Everyday We Stray Further From God’s Light
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 04:46:41 am »
I wish they would go ahead and remove Andrew's name from all their publications. He would be turning over in his grave if he could see their shift. He was very anti-populist/pro-individual and he very much disliked Trump. 

I'm glad Bannon joined Trump - it helps assure Trump loses.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 05:20:43 am »
scholar blacklisted from the mainstream conservative movement for arguing there’s a connection between race and IQ. Breitbart frequently highlights the work of Jason Richwine, who resigned from the conservative Heritage Foundation when news broke that his Harvard dissertation argued in part that Hispanics have lower IQs than non-Hispanic whites.

Many of the critiques of Richwine's work are flawed, themselves, and the censorship of a scholar because his conclusions are politically incorrect is something to be fought.

I would fight that as vigorously as I'd fight the Trump-advocated censorship.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 11:18:26 am »

:amen:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 11:32:51 am »
They're ok with gays. Not with anyone else though.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 11:36:58 am »
They're ok with gays. Not with anyone else though.

They're OK with obedient gays for now.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 11:39:45 am »
It is amazing how quickly this board has picked up on the alt.right meme; as if Clinton needed any more help carrying her water.

sm damned h.

But, any stick to beat on Trump; even the flimsiest, fringiest from the fever swamps.

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:47:22 am »
It is amazing how quickly this board has picked up on the alt.right meme; as if Clinton needed any more help carrying her water.

sm damned h.

But, any stick to beat on Trump; even the flimsiest, fringiest from the fever swamps.

What do you mean 'pick up?' It isn't a derogatory term, Milo coined it himself and that's a term they use.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 11:55:20 am »
From Richwine's own writing:

So what did I write that created such a fuss? In brief, my dissertation shows that recent immigrants score lower than U.S.-born whites on a variety of cognitive tests. Using statistical analysis, it suggests that the test-score differential is due primarily to a real cognitive deficit rather than to culture or language bias. It analyzes how that deficit could affect socioeconomic assimilation, and concludes by exploring how IQ selection might be incorporated, as one factor among many, into immigration policy.

Because a large number of recent immigrants are from Latin America, I reviewed the literature showing that Hispanic IQ scores fall between white and black scores in the United States. This fact isn’t controversial among experts, but citing it seems to have fueled much of the media backlash.

From the Washington Post:  Let's leave aside the question of whether Richwine's thesis actually establishes what he claims it establishes, or whether the claims here are actually supported by the totality of research. What's troublesome here is that Richwine appears to not understand what it was about his dissertation that disturbed people. He argued for a clear and persistent genetic basis to IQ, used that to argue for an immigration system based on IQ tests, and then provided political advice on how to hide the intent of that system.

No one is stopping his freedom of speech. They are saying they don't want his ideas as part of the Heritage Foundation. I would hope any group could oust from their membership someone they felt was sullying their group. I wish the GOP leadership had dumped trump after a few of his incendiary comments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/09/jason-richwine-doesnt-understand-why-people-are-mad-at-him/

Also:

Richwine fretted in his Harvard thesis that these immigrants would never fit in because of their tiny brains:

The average IQ of immigrants in the United States is substantially lower than that of the white native population, and the difference is likely to persist over several generations. The consequences are a lack of socioeconomic assimilation among low-IQ immigrant groups, more underclass behavior, less social trust, and an increase in the proportion of unskilled workers in the American labor market.

The idea that Latinos won't assimilate because they're doomed to low IQs for generations is offensive. But so what? More important, it's wrong. At least half of the variation in IQ is inherited, The Wall Street Journal explained in January, but scientists haven't figured out which genes affect IQ. And even more important for today's political debate, Latinos are assimilating. The New York Times's David Leonhardt explained in April that Latinos are assimilating at about the same rate as earlier immigrant groups — they're "the New Italians," he said. As with Italians, a huge wave of Latinos immigrated here poor, poorly educated, and culturally different. But they become richer and better educated with each generation. RAND Corporation economist James P. Smith found that the average Latino immigrant has a junior high education, but the average Latino immigrant's kid goes to college for almost a year, and the average Latino immigrant's grandkid stays in college longer.

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2013/05/heritage-foundation-jason-richwine/65005/

goopo