Author Topic: Trump before classified briefing: I don’t trust US intel and won't use them  (Read 8670 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/291700-trump-before-intelligence-briefing-i-dont-trust-intelligence

Trump before classified briefing: I don’t trust US intel

By Julian Hattem - 08/17/16 10:34 AM EDT

Hours before he is set to receive his first classified intelligence briefing, Donald Trump said he does not trust information coming out of U.S. intelligence agencies and indicated he would cease relying on the bulk of the intelligence community’s massive workforce.

During an interview aired on “Fox and Friends” Wednesday morning, Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, was asked whether he “trusts intelligence.”

“Not so much from the people that have been doing it for our country,” Trump responded. “I mean, look what’s happened over the last 10 years. … It’s been catastrophic.

“Very easy to use them, but I won't use them, because they’ve made such bad decisions,” he said, pointing to apparent intelligence failures ahead of the United States's 2003 invasion of Iraq. At the time, George W. Bush administration officials appeared convinced that Saddam Hussein’s government was creating weapons of mass destruction, though that was not the case.

“If we would have never touched it, it would have been a lot better,” Trump said.

He may not have a choice. CIA Director John Brennan has already suggested he would resign rather than comply with Trump’s orders to employ harsh interrogation methods or torture against America's enemies, and it’s unclear whether others would join him.

Nonetheless, Trump's comments demonstrate a startling lack of faith in the 16 federal intelligence agencies and their tens of thousands of employees.

Later Wednesday, Trump is scheduled to receive his first briefing on intelligence matters from senior government officials as part of a routine process of bringing potential new presidents up to speed on world events.

Trump's comments follow a House Republican analysis last week confirming reports that intelligence produced through the military’s Central Command had been edited or squelched in order to provide an unrealistically positive image of the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

The conclusions seriously undermine the Obama administration’s claims about the anti-ISIS push and help explain the trouble it has had routing the extremist group from its bases in Syria and Iraq.

Trump is planning to attend the Wednesday briefing with former Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who led the Defense Intelligence Agency earlier in the Obama administration.

“He’s a terrific guy, a terrific general: tough, smart, feels like I do about illegal immigration, in particular,” Trump said of Flynn on Fox News.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) is also reportedly scheduled to join Trump.

The briefings with presidential candidates tend to be somewhat watered-down assessments of global threats and the state of the world.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:20:06 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

"I have a very good brain and have said many things."

Offline sinkspur

He's got a Russky resource for intel, no doubt.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

geronl

He'll use the Russian FSB instead!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm sure he'll use the same sources he does now, the National Enquirer and interent conspiracy sites.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:40:03 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

geronl

I'm sure he'll use the same sources he does now, the National Enquirer and interent conspiracy sites.

Trump wants National Enquirer to have a Pulitzer while accusing the rest of the media of publishing fiction. lolz.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Hey, it worked for Tommy Lee Jones in "Men in Black"

Trump DOES realize that was just a movie, doesn't he?
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Trump wants National Enquirer to have a Pulitzer while accusing the rest of the media of publishing fiction. lolz.

Who! Rita Hayworth is back. Do they have her phone number?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

Offline r9etb

Hours before he is set to receive his first classified intelligence briefing, Donald Trump said he does not trust information coming out of U.S. intelligence agencies and indicated he would cease relying on the bulk of the intelligence community’s massive workforce.

I wonder what the "What Trump Meant To Say" choir will be singing this time.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
He does this every day.  Opens his big mouth without understanding the consequences.  The man does not have a clue on managing the affairs of the USA.  He should not be anywhere close to the White House nor involved in any defense or military decisions.  For the 1st time in my adult voting life (1976), I'm ashamed of both nominees and I simply cannot vote for either.

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Wingnut

Who! Rita Hayworth is back. Do they have her phone number?

Dave Pecker has a direct line.

Offline aligncare

He does this every day.  Opens his big mouth without understanding the consequences.  The man does not have a clue on managing the affairs of the USA.  He should not be anywhere close to the White House nor involved in any defense or military decisions.  For the 1st time in my adult voting life (1976), I'm ashamed of both nominees and I simply cannot vote for either.

No, not at all, loser.

By the way, now that you lost the republican primaries, Ted, I want to thank you for your full-throated endorsement of the GOP nominee, Donald Trump. ...What's that? You didn't endorse the nominee of your party? #NeverMindLoser....

Offline r9etb

No, not at all, loser.

By the way, now that you lost the republican primaries, Ted, I want to thank you for your full-throated endorsement of the GOP nominee, Donald Trump. ...What's that? You didn't endorse the nominee of your party? #NeverMindLoser....

Ah, I see.  So Trump says something utterly stupid (again) and this is pretty much the only arrow you have left in your quiver.  Pathetic.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Trump is the most stupid man alive.

He only gets news from what he still calls the "KGB" (Trump is a deep cover agent for Putin) and the national enquirer. (hehe Pecker is like a penis...snicker) That's how stupid he is.

He is dumb, and the people who support him are dumb, stupid, idiots. If only they was smart like us. Then no one would support this orange fraud and we could all elect the libertarian guy, or write in Cruz.

Trumps stupid. If they are going to give Trump an Intel brief, they should start by teaching him to read, and Russian too. NeverTrump!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Silver Pines

I can't wait to get a "Miss Me Yet?" Cruz bumpersticker.

Silver Pines

No, not at all, loser.

No, because loyalty to his wife and his father outweighs an endorsement of a braying jackass and clown who's going to lose in a landslide. 

Anyway, Cruz's endorsement shouldn't matter, right?  The Trump Train is going to roll on up to 1600 Pennsylvania without it.

Right?

@aligncare

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
No, not at all, loser.

Spoken like a true Trumpter.  It looks like your Boi will be the "Big Loser" in November.  He will have losing to Hillary on his mind the rest of his life.  One hundred years from now kids will be learning in the history books what a loser he was. 

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline livius

"I have a very good brain and have said many things."

I'm sorry, but I still don't see how the GOP ended up with this loony. There have been lame candidates before (mostly the elderly "it's his turn now" candidates such as Dole and McCain). But I don't think we've ever had a borderline mentally handicapped person (meaning IQ under 100 but not below 70) with psychotic overlays before.

geronl

Everything that is told to Trump will be repeated to the FSB

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Everything that is told to Trump will be repeated to the FSB

No need to repeat anything. Putin, the Illuminati, and the Israelies, have put a chip in Trump's head. They always know exactly where he is, and they can see and hear everything he sees and hears. Its like Google glasses only without the thing you have to wear.

Some say that they can control what he says and does, but that kind of thinking is kind of out there in loony-town. Those people are just a little too crazy for me. Monitoring is one thing, but controlling is totally different.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline r9etb

I'm sorry, but I still don't see how the GOP ended up with this loony. There have been lame candidates before (mostly the elderly "it's his turn now" candidates such as Dole and McCain). But I don't think we've ever had a borderline mentally handicapped person (meaning IQ under 100 but not below 70) with psychotic overlays before.

Well, there were the people who actually voted for an obvious demagogue in the primaries.  There was the media, who utterly enjoyed the twofer of a) ratings and b) enabling the one candidate to whom Clinton could lose.

And there was political cowardice on the part of the GOP. 

A pretty toxic combination.

Offline Longmire

He's got a Russky resource for intel, no doubt.

Actually, having a Russian resource in addition to someone like Gen. Flynn would be very helpful for comparative purposes...let's hope you're right.