Author Topic: ‘New Nationalism’ Amounts to Generic White-Identity Politics...By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 15596 times)

Offline dfwgator

Barcelona Catalonia, voted to leave Spain, not a binding vote, but they are proud of their own nation, heritage and believe they are entitled to their own country.

But, no, anti-diversity is something that makes one like a fascist, unbelievable. The hate really is from the other side.

These very bad people.  Where are their white hoods?
The Left sure didn't have a problem with Kosovo getting their independence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
As even Rush has pointed out, our politics and identity is becoming a lot more European in the sense that Nationalism (ie national collectivism) is supplanting individual rights. The Right in our country is becoming more like the Right in Europe versus here. The Right in the US is becoming less and less about smaller/limited/Constitutional government and more about an authoritarian government that hammers our own issues (thus the 'European Right' similarity).  Our national identity is becoming what our government can do, not the liberty of the individual.
This may all be so and sounds like "Libertarianism" but I don't think that will do well in an open borders environment or where people expect government entitlements.  Libertarianism would find that hard to overcome.

Offline dfwgator

America has always been a nation that lived in the mind and the heart, not the blood and the soil.

Unfortunately that thinking combined with the naivete of believing that everyone who wants to come here wants to be an "American"  has gotten us into a big hole.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Somebody want to explain to me why it's just peachy keen for Jews to have Jewish-Identity Politics,blacks to have Black-Identity Politics,His and Her-Panics to have His and Her-Panics to have His and Her-Panic Identity Politics,Muslims to have Muslim-Identity Politics,fundie Christians to have Fundie Christian-Identity Politics,unions to have Labor-Identity Politics,homosexuals to have Homosexual-Identity Politics,etc,etc,etc,but the instant two white guys get together and agree on what is best for them,suddenly Identity Polics equals "Nazism and KKK Identity Politics"?

And some of you still wonder why white people are pissed???????
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:13:07 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Somebody want to explain to me why it's just peachy keen for Jews to have Jewish-Identity Politics,blacks to have Black-Identity Politics,His and Her-Panics to have His and Her-Panics to have His and Her-Panic Identity Politics,Muslims to have Muslim-Identity Politics,fundie Christians to have Fundie Christian-Identity Politics,unions to have Labor-Identity Politics,homosexuals to have Homosexual-Identity Politics,etc,etc,etc,but the instant two white guys get together and agree on what is best for them,suddenly Identity Polics equals "Nazism and KKK Identity Politics"?

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Just because the left wallows in tribal identity politics doesn't mean we as conservatives shouldn't aspire to something more, well, American.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Two wrongs don't make a right.  Just because the left wallows in tribal identity politics doesn't mean we as conservatives shouldn't aspire to something more, well, American.   

So,you think the proper response is "Thank you SIR,MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?"

There can be no doubt that 137 wrongs working against YOUR rights means you are in serious doo-doo if you DON'T speak up.

Not standing up for yourself is nothing more than slow-motion suicide.

BTW,are you claiming all the groups I mentioned,and I did NOT mention them all,are all leftists? There are more than a few of them with a comfortable fit within the alleged Republican Party.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:29:25 pm by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

I'm purebred Dutch on my father's side, and mostly English on my mother's side, and about as white as can be.

I ain't pissed.

Conservatism has long been against hyphenated-Americanism. The premise of Conservatism is that it's principles are good for everyone. And they are.

Offline skeeter

Tricky issue.

I live in a very diverse area. For years I managed a group of people none of whom were white. As much as I know the morally correct route (and our society's only salvation) is to be colorblind, its damn near impossible when everyone else's perspective is informed largely by their ethnicity.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:41:10 pm by skeeter »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'm purebred Dutch on my father's side, and mostly English on my mother's side, and about as white as can be.

I ain't pissed.

Conservatism has long been against hyphenated-Americanism. The premise of Conservatism is that it's principles are good for everyone. And they are.

I agree.  Well put.  I am sick and tired of hyphenated-Americanism as a political matter.  Dr. King had it right. 

That's not to say we shouldn't honor our origins and the cultures of our ancestors.   But America's a melting pot, not a mosaic.     
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:45:56 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline roamer_1

That's not to say we shouldn't honor our origins and the cultures of our ancestors.   But America's a melting pot, not a mosaic.   

Absolutely! That is the genius of America!

I am very proud of my Dutch heritage - My kitchen is all blue-and-white... tulips and windmills everywhere... I wear klompen in the garden, I eat gehakt and maus, and many other intrinsically Dutch dishes... My speech is often backwards as it is an Hollander trait (Much you're not if Dutch you're not)...  But don't anybody EVER confuse themselves - I am an American. Period.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:20:25 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Absolutely! That is the genius of America!

I am very proud of my Dutch heritage - My kitchen is all blue-and-white... tulips and windmills everywhere... I wear klompen in the garden, I eat gehakt and maus, and many other intrinsically Dutch dishes... My speech is often backwards as it is an Hollander trait (Much you're not if Dutch you're not)...  But don't anybody EVER confuse themselves - I am an American. Period.

That's how I feel.  My heritage is Swedish, and while I can't say I follow many Swedish traditions,  I've gone out of my way to collect Swedish jazz records and become an expert in the history of jazz in that country.  Sure,  pride in one's heritage is a fine thing,  but as an American I've checked my tribal identity at the door.   We're all in this together, united by the genius of our Constitution and the amazing way one can rise and fall in this dynamic nation all on the strength of our own ambitions and efforts as INDIVIDUALS.

Only in America can a black kid rise from poverty to be a justice of the Supreme Court.  Clarence Thomas's experience is no outlier - just check out our last several Presidents  - only the Bushes were silver spoons,  the rest all rose from hardscrabble origins.   That's the genius of America.   

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:33:56 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline dfwgator

I ain't pissed.

I'm for American culture.  A culture that includes contributions from all different races and national origins, but still uniquely American.  You know, the "Melting Pot".  But the Left has turned it into a "Tossed Salad", which is Balkanization.

Offline dfwgator

But America's a melting pot, not a mosaic.   
It was a melting pot,  the Left took care of that.

Offline roamer_1

We're all in this together, united by the genius of our Constitution and the amazing way one can rise and fall in this dynamic nation all on the strength of our own ambitions and efforts as INDIVIDUALS.

Only in America can a black kid rise from poverty to be a justice of the Supreme Court.  Clarence Thomas's experience is no outlier - just check out our last several Presidents  - only the Bushes were silver spoons,  the rest all rose from hardscrabble origins.   That's the genius of America.

Brilliantly stated... and white-identity politics is just as cancerous as any other, because it stands against that rugged individualism that is America. Thank you very much!

Offline roamer_1

I'm for American culture.  A culture that includes contributions from all different races and national origins, but still uniquely American.  You know, the "Melting Pot".  But the Left has turned it into a "Tossed Salad", which is Balkanization.

So the thing to do is endorse white-identity and further that balkanization? Who then stands for the truth?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm purebred Dutch on my father's side, and mostly English on my mother's side, and about as white as can be.<<

I'm half-Greek and 1/4 Tuscorara. Not even sure if Greeks are considered to be white or not,and really don't care,but I am certain American Indians ain't.

b
>>I ain't pissed.<<

You should be. Every evil that has happened in the last 1,000 years or so is being laid at the feet of your ancestors,and everybody else is their victims,and you owe them.

>>Conservatism has long been against hyphenated-Americanism. The premise of Conservatism is that it's principles are good for everyone. And they are.<<

Agreed,but being a conservative IN AMERICA means you are a classic liberal. That is an honorable term that has been successfully stolen by the fascist left to hide their true nature. We can't blame them for doing what they do any more than we can blame a snake for biting us,but we can damn sure blame our fellow conservatives for allowing the fascist left to get away with it unchallenged.

ANY time you allow the enemy to control the dialogue you have surrendered control to them,and they WILL win the argument and the support of the non-thinking public.

Which means you need to stand up on your hind feet and scream "FOUL!" as loudly as you can anytime someone else starts playing THEIR special interest identity game while screaming "racist" or "bigot" at you for being white or preferring to associate with your fellow white people,people who share your political views,people who share your religious views,sexual orientation,etc,etc,etc.

If it's ok,and even a POSITIVE thing for everyone else,WHY is it evil for you?

Offline dfwgator

So the thing to do is endorse white-identity and further that balkanization? Who then stands for the truth?
Just who is endorsing white-identity?  Not Trump, that's just the usual Lefty hyperbole BS.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Just who is endorsing white-identity?  Not Trump, that's just the usual Lefty hyperbole BS.
While I may have to go take an acid bath for defending Trump, you are 100 percent correct.

Meanwhile,it is the left that is,as always,playing the race card and herding the minorities onto the Dim Plantation BECAUSE the alleged Republicans are terrified of pointing out that instead of being the spawn of evil,it was white people and  predominately white cultures that created America and the atmosphere that caused the freest country with the most opportunity for all to be created and exist.

The white man gets unfairly blamed for slavery,when it was the blacks that enslaved their fellow blacks and put them up for sale,yet the whites get ZERO credit for ending slavery. Why is that?

Not just the blacks,either. Anybody that doesn't think the Chinese and other Asians that came here had it just as tough isn't thinking clearly. In some respects they had it tougher because if they had to find employment to earn enough to feed and house themselves and their children. 

Mexicans had it a lot easier than most for various reasons,yet if you listen to their political leadership today,they are vic-tums of the white man,too. I will admit that damn few of them that I have met or lived around seemed to share that feeling or have a chip on their shoulder,but you would never know this if all you knew about them was what their (fascist left) leadership spouts on tv and in the papers.

WHY? HOW does the left get away with this?

They get away with it because WE allow them to get away with it by not calling them on their hypocrisy and lies.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Surely not the people who allow the left to get away with their lies unchallenged. After all,perception is everything with the unthinking crowd,and they must all be right about the white man being evil or the white man would stand up for himself and call foul,right?

HonestJohn

So what is one saying? There should be no borders?

What are those foundational concepts?

Gee, Ronald Reagan said " A nation that cannot control its borders is not a nation.” Naughty, naughty Dutch! Naughty, naughty the Gipper.

It sounds exactly like one is saying there should be no borders but we have to endure this kind of attack on anyone that wants to preserve America for what it is.

"Blood and soil", well, a lot of people wanted Scotland to secede, they voted for Great Britain to secede.

These are not altogether bad things to do.

Put some German in there but to be fair, Pat Buchanan has used that expression himself in making a point.

Sorry, I don't want to become a country like Brazil, a nuclear power by the way so, not altogether backward but they can't control the Favelas, their ghettoes, the police kill street urchins and orphans, this is what we get if we are being so open borders.

Sickening.

No borders?  In time.

Because I still believe in Manifest Destiny.  We need to be expanding the borders of America.  Eventually, we ought to, in time, *BE* the only nation on earth.

Then we can be Earthicans.  With everyone believing in the Constitution and individual rights.

Case in point, Afghanistan and Iraq.  We should have annexed the land and opened it up... at preferential rates, to investors and homesteaders seeking a better life.  In essence, a free "40-acres and a mule" to anyone that wanted it.

With such a thing, I doubt that Iraq or Afghanistan would be an issue today.  For the inhabitants would either be displaced by all the Americans moving in... or assimilated.  Hell, the Kurds might have even helped if they knew they'd get to be the 51st state.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:19:33 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Meanwhile,it is the left that is,as always,playing the race card and herding the minorities onto the Dim Plantation BECAUSE the alleged Republicans are terrified of pointing out that instead of being the spawn of evil,it was white people and  predominately white cultures that created America and the atmosphere that caused the freest country with the most opportunity for all to be created and exist.

They get away with it because WE allow them to get away with it by not calling them on their hypocrisy and lies.

Well now, it is not just the democrat side, screaming racism. It is the phony "conservatives" of the type we hear from on this site. The ones that hold the democrat/liberal position on most issues, but still claim to be "Republicans."

The type that knee-jerk say they can support Gary Johnson, until you list all of his liberal positions. Their ultimate master is the open borders cheap labor express, as dictated by the huge business interests and their lobbies.

In reality they are white-guilt ridden liberal do-gooders. They are descended from the John Anderson wing of the party, NOT from Goldwater-Reagan.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Well now, it is not just the democrat side, screaming racism. It is the phony "conservatives" of the type we hear from on this site. The ones that hold the democrat/liberal position on most issues, but still claim to be "Republicans."

The type that knee-jerk say they can support Gary Johnson, until you list all of his liberal positions. Their ultimate master is the open borders cheap labor express, as dictated by the huge business interests and their lobbies.

In reality they are white-guilt ridden liberal do-gooders. They are descended from the John Anderson wing of the party, NOT from Goldwater-Reagan.

You have an exceptional imagination, TS.  Very creative!   :hands:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

geronl

According to Goldberg and others, it seems trying to preserve the American way is racist.

lol, Trump isn't interested in things like Constitutional government.

HonestJohn

Wow, you'd think being a Nationalist was bad. And with some people, they think it is, I think this kind of thought unsavory, people should be proud of their country.

Learn the difference between patriotism, nationalist, and jingoism.

HonestJohn

Barcelona Catalonia, voted to leave Spain, not a binding vote, but they are proud of their own nation, heritage and believe they are entitled to their own country.

But, no, anti-diversity is something that makes one like a fascist, unbelievable. The hate really is from the other side.

These very bad people.  Where are their white hoods?

And again, you fail to understand that America was not founded on the same notions of old-world states.  Being American is ideology... a belief in the Constitution (and being born within the territory of the US... which can change).

It's not inherited by blood.