Author Topic: ESPN Panelist: Cam Newton Saying Criticism Not Racial Is ‘Damaging’  (Read 848 times)

rangerrebew

ESPN Panelist: Cam Newton Saying Criticism Not Racial Is ‘Damaging’
By Bruce Bookter | August 15, 2016 | 10:55 PM EDT
shares

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton landed the cover of the most recent issue of GQ, and what he says in the article has put him in the crosshairs of the leftist sports media. Speaking on the subject of race, Newton rejected the notion that criticism of him is fueled by race. Saying, “it’s not about race,” and that “we’re beyond that as a nation.”

ESPN did not take this well.

On Monday’s edition of Around the Horn, panelists Kevin Blackistone, JA Adande, Pablo Torre, and Israel Gutierrez unleashed the Kraken of Crazy on Newton:

Tony: Let's talk Cam Newton in "G.Q." Magazine. This is on the criticism he has received. "It's not racism. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I don't want this to be about race because it's not like we're beyond that as a nation." On national issues like the election, North Carolina's H.B. 2 law, I love people too much to care about those type of things. Some people have certain beliefs, I have my own belief. We can agree to disagree on certain things. Israel Guiterrez, how do you consider Cam's comments?

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/bruce-bookter/2016/08/15/espn-panelist-cam-newton-saying-criticism-not-racial-damaging

Oceander

Re: ESPN Panelist: Cam Newton Saying Criticism Not Racial Is ‘Damaging’
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:48:47 am »
I wish we were beyond race as a nation.  Unfortunately, the democrats and liberals generally have made sure that mill-stone is still tied firmly around our collective neck.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:44:29 am »
ESPN Panelist: Cam Newton Saying Criticism Not Racial Is ‘Damaging’
By Bruce Bookter | August 15, 2016 | 10:55 PM EDT
shares

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton landed the cover of the most recent issue of GQ, and what he says in the article has put him in the crosshairs of the leftist sports media. Speaking on the subject of race, Newton rejected the notion that criticism of him is fueled by race. Saying, “it’s not about race,” and that “we’re beyond that as a nation.”

ESPN did not take this well.

On Monday’s edition of Around the Horn, panelists Kevin Blackistone, JA Adande, Pablo Torre, and Israel Gutierrez unleashed the Kraken of Crazy on Newton:

Tony: Let's talk Cam Newton in "G.Q." Magazine. This is on the criticism he has received. "It's not racism. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I don't want this to be about race because it's not like we're beyond that as a nation." On national issues like the election, North Carolina's H.B. 2 law, I love people too much to care about those type of things. Some people have certain beliefs, I have my own belief. We can agree to disagree on certain things. Israel Guiterrez, how do you consider Cam's comments?

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/bruce-bookter/2016/08/15/espn-panelist-cam-newton-saying-criticism-not-racial-damaging

Dang, I may have to revise my opinion of him.  A surprisingly mature thing for him (let alone an NFL player) to say.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »
Sounds like the young man has done some growing up since the SB loss...kudos to him.

ESPN on the other hand... :chairbang:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:17:32 pm »
Dang, I may have to revise my opinion of him.  A surprisingly mature thing for him (let alone an NFL player) to say.
He still ruined Gator football for years.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »
Sounds like the young man has done some growing up since the SB loss...kudos to him.

One can hope so.  He's a wonderfully talented quarterback.  But as his SB sideline antics attest, he needs a lot of work on the mental aspects of the game.  He took himself out of the game early.  Sorta reminded me of the early Elway SB losses....

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 02:12:52 am »
Oceander wrote:
"I wish we were beyond race as a nation.  Unfortunately, the democrats and liberals generally have made sure that mill-stone is still tied firmly around our collective neck."

As long as racial differences exist NO nation on earth -- not even this one -- will move "beyond" it.

Race is a reality of our existence. The coflicts that arise from that reality are as natural as daylight and water.

Conservatives cannot wipe them away with mere words, no matter how noble they might be.

Hasn't the left been trying to "rewrite reality" for the last century or so?
How's that worked out?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:13:24 am by Fishrrman »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 01:56:33 pm »
I don't watch much football, so I'm only partially aware of the controversy  about Cam Newton and his sideline antics. I don't approve of the modern athletes and their antics because I'm an old fogey who grew up many decades ago watching pros acting like pros.
I quit watching several ESPN shows because most of the panelists are liberal idiots. They delve too much into social issues proclaiming anybody who doesn't agree with them as being horrible human beings. They're especially obnoxious on race. There is not one black panelist on ATH who doesn't think nasty white racism explains all black failures.
They don't want the issue of race to go away because it would mean they would have to come up with legitimate reasons for why black people fail. The same way white people cannot blame other races when whites fail...which they do by the millions every day.
It's especially ironic because many or most of the black panelists are undoubtedly affirmative action hires who aren't qualified to report on flea market festivals.
Accepting personal responsibility for your actions is anathema to your typical lib sportswriter.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
Well, damn... Cam may have won me over as a fan.