Author Topic: Earth-like planet around Proxima Centauri discovered  (Read 2882 times)

Online kevindavis007

Earth-like planet around Proxima Centauri discovered
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:41:48 pm »

The hunt for exoplanets has been heating up in recent years. Since it began its mission in 2009, over four thousand exoplanet candidates have been discovered by the Kepler mission, several hundred of which have been confirmed to be "Earth-like" (i.e. terrestrial). And of these, some 216 planets have been shown to be both terrestrial and located within their parent star's habitable zone (aka. "Goldilocks zone").

But in what may prove to be the most exciting find to date, the German weekly Der Spiegel announced recently that astronomers have discovered an Earth-like planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, just 4.25 light-years away. Yes, in what is an apparent trifecta, this newly-discovered exoplanet is Earth-like, orbits within it's sun's habitable zone, and is within our reach. But is this too good to be true?

For over a century, astronomers have known about Proxima Centauri and believed that it is likely to be part of a trinary star system (along with Alpha Centauri A and B). Located just 0.237 ± 0.011 light years from the binary pair, this low-mass red dwarf star is also 0.12 light years (~7590 AUs) closer to Earth, making it the closest star system to our own.

In the past, the Kepler mission has revealed several Earth-like exoplanets that were deemed to be likely habitable. And recently, an international team of researchers narrowed the number of potentially-habitable exoplanets in the Kepler catalog down to the 20 that are most likely to support life. However, in just about all cases, these planets are hundreds (if not thousands) of light years away from Earth.

Knowing that there is a habitable planet that a mission from Earth could reach within our own lifetimes is nothing short of amazing! But of course, there is reason to be cautiously optimistic. Citing anonymous sources, the magazine stated:

"The still nameless planet is believed to be Earth-like and orbits at a distance to Proxima Centauri that could allow it to have liquid water on its surface—an important requirement for the emergence of life. Never before have scientists discovered a second Earth that is so close by."

In addition, they claim that the discovery was made by the European Southern Observatory (ESO) using the La Silla Observatory's reflecting telescope. Coincidentally, it was this same observatory that announced the discovery of Alpha Centauri Bb back in 2012, which was also declared to be "the closest exoplanet to Earth". Unfortunately, subsequent analysis cast doubt on its existence, claiming it was a spurious artifact of the data analysis.

Read more: http://www.interstellar-news.net/2016/08/earth-like-planet-around-proxima.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:42:13 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Earth-like planet around Proxima Centauri discovered
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:53:58 pm »
The story I'm reading right now is about human evacuees from 4021 Alpha Centauri being kicked back in time by an alien weapon to 860-ish earth.

Cool story but it has some plot holes. Its a self published freebie called "Space Time Odyssey"

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:56:14 pm »
The story I'm reading right now is about human evacuees from 4021 Alpha Centauri being kicked back in time by an alien weapon to 860-ish earth.

Cool story but it has some plot holes. Its a self published freebie called "Space Time Odyssey"

I'll look it up.. Thanks for the heads up..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:59:51 pm »

geronl

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 02:11:53 am »
Sounds pretty good

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:35:26 am »
Pure BS fantasy.  We have absolutely no way to get there, and calling anything that far away "earth like" is pure, old-fashioned baloney.  Nobody can make that determination about any object that far away with the technology that exists today, especially not from LOE and boosting every gram you need out of a very deep gravity well with primitive chemical rockets.

Wanna-be sci-fi scribblers making it up as they go.

:smokin:

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 03:05:34 am »
Pure BS fantasy.  We have absolutely no way to get there, and calling anything that far away "earth like" is pure, old-fashioned baloney.  Nobody can make that determination about any object that far away with the technology that exists today, especially not from LOE and boosting every gram you need out of a very deep gravity well with primitive chemical rockets.

Look up Project Orion, as well as the progress on the EM Drive.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 03:06:26 am »

Maybe so, but one's reach should always exceed one's grasp.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:34:22 am »
The best motto for a space program: Go Farther!

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:42:11 am »
The best motto for a space program: Go Farther!

Go Farther!  Go Faster!  Go Cheaper!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:05 am »

Bingo.

Keep the Lewis and Clark spirit alive. :patriot:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 11:51:04 am »

Yes by golly they should be focusing their money and time on things that help their comrades.  Thigns like welfare, unemployment, and food stamps.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:54:56 pm »
I heard about this a month or two ago- but it wasn't definite, they were looking for confirmation.

Right now I'm in awe of Tabby's star. Let me find the article and post it. That star is doing something never seen before- it's fascinating.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »

Ehhh I wanted to say you only get two out of three, but that was good, fast, and cheap.   :shrug:

If we could get a probe up to say, .1C, we could do a fly-by in 45 or 50 years, depending on acceleration... longer if we wanted it to slow down and visit for a while... and then we'd have to wait a little over 4 more years for the results to get back. But then we'd know!
 :amen:
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:59:34 pm »
Ehhh I wanted to say you only get two out of three, but that was good, fast, and cheap.   :shrug:

If we could get a probe up to say, .1C, we could do a fly-by in 45 or 50 years, depending on acceleration... longer if we wanted it to slow down and visit for a while... and then we'd have to wait a little over 4 more years for the results to get back. But then we'd know!
 :amen:

I think that was the original plan for the Deadelus project with a quick pass through the system. I suppose you could launch smaller probes from the main craft and slow them down enough to get a few weeks or months of science. I think their original plan was for Barnard's star but settled on Alpha C.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 01:49:46 am »
...the German weekly Der Spiegel announced recently that astronomers have discovered an Earth-like planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, just 4.25 light-years away. Yes, in what is an apparent trifecta, this newly-discovered exoplanet is Earth-like, orbits within its sun's habitable zone, and is within our reach... Proxima Centauri... is likely to be part of a trinary star system (along with Alpha Centauri A and B). Located just 0.237 ± 0.011 light years from the binary pair, this low-mass red dwarf star is also 0.12 light years (~7590 AUs) closer to Earth, making it the closest star system to our own... "The still nameless planet is believed to be Earth-like and orbits at a distance to Proxima Centauri that could allow it to have liquid water on its surface -- an important requirement for the emergence of life. Never before have scientists discovered a second Earth that is so close by."
Interesting discovery.  Even better was this, from your sig:
Every time a Clinton Runs for President, a crazy billionaire runs for President as well.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 02:19:56 am »

Coincidence...I think not :tinfoil:

geronl

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 03:09:53 am »

Apparently "Wardaddy" at FR has called out the Hate Squad on you for being a member of this forum

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 03:14:06 am »
Apparently "Wardaddy" at FR has called out the Hate Squad on you for being a member of this forum

That's why I keep using the term "JimKnob"  :silly: