Author Topic: Has Donald Trump hit bottom?  (Read 3893 times)

Offline sinkspur

Has Donald Trump hit bottom?
« on: August 13, 2016, 11:33:08 pm »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/has-donald-trump-hit-bottom/2016/08/13/19a2e836-6163-11e6-8e45-477372e89d78_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_take-12pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Has Donald Trump hit bottom?

By Dan Balz Chief correspondent

August 13 at 11:31 AM

The unraveling of Donald Trump’s candidacy continues apace, a long and steady decline since the high point three months ago. If he were deliberately trying to avoid winning the election, he could hardly be doing a better job.

The hole he has dug for himself is wide and deep. National polls and battleground state polls all tell a similar story. Hillary Clinton has opened up a small-to-significant lead over Trump almost everywhere it counts. Unless Trump can reverse course, Clinton, despite persistent questions about her honesty, is on track to win a handsome electoral college majority. The lone bright spot for Trump: It’s August not October. But that comes with a caveat.

Republicans hope Trump is bottoming out. They are waiting for a pivot that could and should have happened before Memorial Day. They wonder whether it will happen by the end of the month or at all. Labor Day used to be seen as the kickoff of the general election — that moment when more and more Americans start paying close attention. That notion is a relic of another era — and Trump is hardly underexposed. The general election is already half over, and Trump has lost the first half decisively.

The past few weeks provide a telling account of a candidate who has found multiple ways to avoid focusing on a consistent message. He got into a pointless and damaging exchange of criticisms with Khizr and Ghazala Khan, the parents of Army Capt. Humayun Khan, who was killed in Iraq in 2004. He hesitated to give House Speaker Paul D. Ryan an endorsement while praising Ryan’s opponent in the Wisconsin primary. He made a comment at a rally that appeared to advocate violence against Clinton or Supreme Court justices. And then he claimed that President Obama was the founder of the Islamic State (and Clinton the co-founder).

The pattern was consistent. Days of damaging media attention followed by cleanup efforts. After not endorsing Ryan, he endorsed Ryan. After making his comment about what Second Amendment supporters could do if they didn’t like Clinton’s judicial appointments, he and surrogates said he was only talking about mobilizing a key constituency. After calling Obama the founder of the Islamic State, and doubling down when more benign interpretations of his remarks were offered as escapes, he finally claimed he was just being sarcastic, or maybe not.

In a political climate that favors change, Trump has managed, by shifting attention away from Clinton’s vulnerabilities, to make the election as much about temperament and stability as it is about shaking up the status quo.

[Trump claims only cheating can prevent him from winning Pennsylvania]

Where has this left Trump? He trails Clinton by more than six percentage points in the RealClearPolitics national poll average. The two biggest battlegrounds, Ohio and Florida, remain competitive, although Clinton currently leads in both. Trump must win both or find a truly innovative route to victory. Trump also trails by an average of roughly nine points in Pennsylvania, another state considered a must-win for him and supposedly ripe for his anti-trade message.

Beyond that, he trails by an average of five or more points in three states that have been critical battlegrounds in recent elections: Virginia, Colorado and New Hampshire. Newly released NBC-Wall Street Journal-Marist polls show Clinton leading in Virginia and Colorado by double digits, and there is now a question of whether both should be removed from the swing state list.

Trump advisers point to Iowa and Nevada as states that went for Obama but are now competitive. But, for now at least, so are Arizona, which Democrats have not won since 1996, and North Carolina, which Obama won in 2008 but Mitt Romney won four years ago. Polls even suggest that Georgia is potentially competitive. Trump also trails in Michigan and Wisconsin, two more industrial states his advisers have suggested might be winnable.

The net of all this is that Trump’s path looks as or more difficult than it did a few months ago.

Trump spokesman Jason Miller took issue with analyses that say the GOP nominee is not delivering a clear and consistent message. “This is why the American public feels that there is such strong media bias against Mr. Trump’s campaign,” he wrote in an email. “The reality is, Mr. Trump is effectively delivering messages of economic growth and defeating radical Islamic terrorism while Hillary Clinton plays clean up after her email and corrupt pay-to-play scandals, not to mention her in-campaign vacations.”

All Trump’s talk about tapping an army of disaffected white voters who have been on the sidelines in past elections has produced little in terms of tangible evidence. Meanwhile, he continues to bleed support from prominent Republicans, who say they cannot support him in November.

One thing remains steady for Trump. His core supporters are thoroughly loyal and seemingly enthusiastic. His crowds remain huge. They are also a misleading indicator. The closer Trump gets to Election Day, the more those big crowds will distract him from the reality of the overall campaign. He’s in danger of permanently locking himself into a losing percentage of the electorate.

Trump continues to practice the politics of subtraction, finding ways to prevent expansion of his potential coalition. Rather than looking at weaknesses in his support and trying to find ways to win a few percentage points among particular groups of voters, his words and behavior do the opposite.

[Clinton releases tax returns, calls on Trump to release his]

A comparison of two Washington Post-ABC News polls illustrates the problem. In mid-May, Trump led Clinton 46 percent to 44 percent. In the most recent poll, completed on Aug. 4, Clinton led 50 to 42.

Among Democrats, Clinton has picked up six points since May. Meanwhile, Trump has lost two points among Republicans. Trump is still ahead among men, and Clinton is ahead among women, but he’s actually lost ground among men, while she’s gained among women.

He has made no progress picking up support from nonwhite voters and so must rely almost totally on whites to win. His strongest support is still among whites without college degrees, but his margin in the Post-ABC poll has declined from 40 points to 25 points since May. Among whites with college degrees, Clinton has gone from down one to ahead by six. On the ideological spectrum, she has added to her margin among moderates.

Clinton performed better in two of the three high-profile moments of any general election. Trump’s vice-presidential rollout was messy; hers was not. His convention bounce was modest; hers was larger and, so far, more lasting. That leaves the upcoming debates as even more critical for Trump than they should be.

There are three presidential debates (and one between the vice-presidential candidates), with the first on Sept. 26. The Commission on Presidential Debates established the dates and formats last year. Trump has sent mixed signals about the debates, but assume for now that he participates in all three.

Trump believes he won virtually every debate against his Republican primary opponents. Trump’s big personality was an asset in those multi-candidate forums. Trump’s advisers believe his more freewheeling approach will play well against a scripted Clinton. But his disinterest in the details of policy could prove to be a liability in formats that require the candidate to talk much more about issues’ substance.

Trump needs to put his campaign on sounder footing well ahead of those debates. If the polls then look close to what they are now, he would need decisive performances throughout the debate season. His Republican allies are nervously watching and waiting to see if the candidate responds — quickly.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Has Donald Trump hit bottom?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 11:36:18 pm »
Don't sell him short. I'm sure he can find bottoms we don't even know exist.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:37:37 pm »
Not even close.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:45:05 pm »

I bet he will!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 11:46:57 pm »
Let me tell you: you haven't even seen the bottom. Truly I tell you, I can go way below the bottom. It'll be the best bottom this country has ever seen. People will see the bottom I've reached and will say, "I didn't know we could get that low. That bottom is stupendous. Truly."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 11:49:32 pm »
He might have been trying to hit bottom here...

...but I don't know. I hear people say that. I don't say that, but I hear people do. If people are saying that, you got ask yourself, you know? Just ask yourself: "Why are they saying that Donald Trump was trying to hit that bottom? Why do they say that?"
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 11:49:42 pm »
When he hits it he'll have to look down just to see up.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 11:49:46 pm »
Has Donald Trump hit bottom?    :pondering:

2 mile line for a Trump rally in Fairfield, CT today.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 11:52:20 pm »

Trump is in Ct. to raise money and wants some adoring fans to throw palm fronds in front of him.  He knows he has no chance in that blue state.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 11:59:07 pm »
When the "candidate" is a minor reality TV star there is always the celebrity factor so you can't put too much emphasis on crowd size. 

I'm pretty sure Kim Kardashian would be pulling bigger crowds anyway.   :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:00:20 am by guitar4jesus »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 12:01:59 am »
"You cannot out-a$$hole Donald Trump." -- Mark Steyn

:beer:

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 12:11:46 am »
Trump is in Ct. to raise money and wants some adoring fans to throw palm fronds in front of him.  He knows he has no chance in that blue state.

CT's 4 electoral votes are in play.  Who Knew.

geronl

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:17:01 am »
Trump had a huge primary rally in Dallas too, lost that county and Tarrant County handily, came in third in one of those two counties

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 12:41:12 am »
CT's 4 electoral votes are in play.  Who Knew.

Sopan Deb
‏@SopanDeb
Trump: "We’re making a big move for the state of Connecticut, just so you know."

The latest RCP average in Ct. has Clinton up 7.5 points, though no poll has been taken since June.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ct/connecticut_trump_vs_clinton-5720.html

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 01:05:41 am »

Trump got 355,960 votes in the Virginia primary - all of which are still faithful, all of which will craw on broken glass to see him.  Not hard to imagine he could muster a large crowd. But its the crowd not there, the 503, 000 Hillary voters and the 275,507 Sanders voters that  are the numbers you should be concerned with, and how long that line would stretch.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 01:07:23 am »
"You cannot out-a$$hole Donald Trump." -- Mark Steyn

:beer:

I thought he was a Trump fan?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 01:07:56 am »
Look at the crowds Bernie drew.  Anybody doubt, if he were the nominee, he'd be drawing crowds like that in the general, whether he was winning or losing?

Crowds are indicative of nothing.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 01:11:29 am »
If Trump has hit bottom then he's just going to start digging harder.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 01:19:57 am »

Trump knows that losing the Presidency is only part of the battle.  He must also drag Congressional Republicans down the toilet too.

Trump has many cards left to play.  So far he has not...

punched a baby
used the N word on camera
killed a puppy on stage
copulated with a corpse
Defecated on the flag
Proclaimed Godfather III the best of the trilogy.
burned Reagan in effigy
got a neck tattoo

and that's just what comes to mind in the first 2 minutes.  Trump has had 3 years to plan to destroy the GOP from within and he has been magnificent.  If you had said a GOP Presidential candidate would
accuse a hostile FOX host of being on the rag, or mock a disabled journalist, insult POWs, praise Putin, Saddam, and Kim Jong Un, retweet neonazis, call for the assassination of his opponent, and be incappable of creating a grammatically correct 4 word sentence...and all the rest...just 2 years ago, I couldn't conceive of it.

By design, the GOP has much further to drop.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:44:35 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 01:24:52 am »
You'll know he hits bottom when he endorses Hillary. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:25:14 am by Vulcan »

HonestJohn

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 01:46:49 am »
He still has time to demand reeducation camps for anyone that doesn't agree with him.

Or declare Reagan the source of all evil in America.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 03:58:44 am »
When the "candidate" is a minor reality TV star there is always the celebrity factor so you can't put too much emphasis on crowd size. 

I'm pretty sure Kim Kardashian would be pulling bigger crowds anyway.   :whistle:

Or Justin Beiber.  He can sell out a stadium.  I wouldn't go.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »

Campaigning in a state he can't win.  Thanks for highlighting his stupidty.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 12:45:24 pm »
Campaigning in a state he can't win.  Thanks for highlighting his stupidty.

Wouldn't surprise me if Texas is now in play.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 12:49:33 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me if Texas is now in play.

I know here in my part of Texas, a lot have gone from, I'll puke in my mouth and vote for Trump, against Hitlerly  to.....    WTF are we going to do?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.